IGNORED

A question about SS bolts

hunter 1500

I'm replacing the bolts in the brake disk and I'm not sure what grade they are but I purchased some SS bolts online and wondered if they would be alright. They are 18-8.

Stainless Steel 18-8 falls in the '300' grade. Strength falls between grade 3 and grade 5. If the bolts you removed had 3 equally spaced lines on the head, they are grade 5 and the 18-8 stainless bolts are not as strong. If you really want to use stainless, find some '400's which will be closer to grade 5.

:detective:

if they are 400 they will be magnetic. if you are replacing the button head rotor bolts. why not use the original type bolts. they should be available from the dealer.

Because I'm cheap and they are $4.79 apiece vs .45 each for SS. Just trying to save some money in hard times.

Because I'm cheap and they are $4.79 apiece vs .45 each for SS. Just trying to save some money in hard times.
\

I'm not one to judge as I'm a frugal mechanic myself but I'm want to say there are times when cutting costs don't play in your favor. I'd be concerned to cut short on attaching the disks with weaker than needed bolts in this case.

:2cents:

Mike