IGNORED

Wildlife Incounter

Condor

No it wasn't a deer.... :) We've been in this house for over 40 years, and this morning when I get up around 5:30am I look out the dining room door and see something curled up on the mat. Generally it's one of the cats. Looked closer and the cats don't have snouts. Thought it might be a stray dog. Walked over toward the door and it gets up and starts to walk away. It's got a big long bushy tail. Not a dog...it's a fox!! I've seen a lot of animals around here over the years since we live close to a river and a wildlife center, but this is the first and only time I've ever seen a fox, and it acted like one of the family.... Intertaining to say the least.....

At least it got up and walked away. We have some kind of critter (prob squirrel) nesting in the chimney of our fireplace. It's right down on the metal damper plate (which is closed).

flying squirrels r notorious for getting in chimney's ... my mom use to have a squirrel that would come scratch on her back door & beg for food, it would eat out of moms hand, no 1 else..deer, coon and possums visit regular but not FOX .

At least it got up and walked away. We have some kind of critter (prob squirrel) nesting in the chimney of our fireplace. It's right down on the metal damper plate (which is closed).

A little heat in the fireplace and probably grilled squirrel for dinner.........

May be raccoon's also, if it is the babies are noisy and will make a stinky mess in there. Put a radio turned up loud in the hearth, leave it there till they leave, they don't like the noise.

May be raccoon's also, if it is the babies are noisy and will make a stinky mess in there. Put a radio turned up loud in the hearth, leave it there till they leave, they don't like the noise.

A loud radio might cause the other occupants of the house to leave as well .... :Laugh:

We have Kit foxs in this area and they are neat looking. Sorry to say they don't fair to well around the roads. When you said on the door mat, I was thinking SNATTLERAKE.:shock3:

What is a Kit Fox??????

We have red foxes, originally introduced by the English, when they brought them over for fox hunting [Tally Ho!] They are a pest, and affect the small native animal population. A fox in a chook house isn't a pretty picture either!!:yikes:

It looks like we now have a San Juaquin Kit Fox population explosion in our back yard. Mama, Papa, and 4 pups. I did a little research... basically to find out how to find them a new home.... and discovered that they are on the endangered spieces list. Only 7000 (guestimate) known to exist. They are a sub spieces and their habitat is basically the SJ Valley and it's unusual to find them this far north. They also are very mobile and can use up to 24 different dens thoughout the year. So maybe we'll keep the cats in the house for a few weeks, and make sure none of the neighbor's go missing.... :whistling:

Had a neat experience myself yesterday. I was headding into town along the lake. When I rounded a corner a bald eagle was circling about 10 feet off the road. Must have been roadkill there. I slowed down and he went and sat on a branch above the road. The branch was too small to hold him and lowered him right in front of my windshield. We sat and looked at each other until he took off.