IGNORED

I think my bike is afraid of me.

Snaggletooth

We have all had times when we were afraid of our bike for one reason or another. Close call on a ride, a project we have never taken on before, or just being out there in a difficult situation far from home.

But the tables have turned for me ...... I think the bike is a bit nervous if not down right frightened of what I might do to it next.

I think taking it's nuts off the handlebars last week may have been more than it could deal with.

Since last season I've been fighting a glitch in the CLASS controller. Not just one ... but three of them. Been through the solder fixes and cleaning up the connections all the way back to the compressor, chasing power and on every one of them I'd get an error code, or a couple different ones everytime. Sometimes it would run for a few second then error out or sometime get nothing at all. I'd change one out for another controller and start with different codes or failures.

Never really bothered me as I had good pressure on the shock when it all started but every time I would try to run the controller I would lose a pound or two. Over time, it was getting lower and with my big ham bone parked on it I was feeling the effect when it got down to 35 lbs pressure.

It was time......

I had bought the fittings to do the schrader valve mod to be done and stop fretting over it. Time to get my smooth ride back. Not something I wanted to do but ya know.... sometimes ya got to do it.

So I had the bike on the lift, I got the work bench folded down from the wall and laid out the needed tools and parts. I laid out the teflon tape and fittings for the schrader fix. The cutters I needed and all the sharp tools handy. I plugged in the soldering pencil for the one last shot and final attempt at saving the CLASS.

I felt I was being watched. I looked around and it was just me and the bike. Just us and the cutting tools and that smoking soldering pencil.

I stuck the key in the switch to check one more time for a reading. It just shot me one more defiant look and flashed "35". Popped the release for the housing and lifted it out. As I pulled it up I brushed my finger against the button and the bike started to vibrate. I waited for it to code out but it kept going. The display showed 40, then 50 then 60 and stopped at 71. I stood there waiting for something, anything else to happen. I pressed the lower button and the pressure smoothly dropped to the bottom. I ground my teeth and closed Imy eyes and pressed the button to raise the pressure again. I could feel the bike vibrate and it stopped again. When I looked it was back at 71 lbs again.

I could almost feel the submission. I had scared the bike to my will. I was the Alpha!

So I celebrated with a ride. Been riding for two day now and made pressure adjustments at every stop I'd make. It's working flawlessly just like the old days. Enjoying the ride again on these danged Nebraska roads.

So for now I'm going to keep the soldering pen in the saddlegbag and those nuts I took off.... On a chain around the handlebars. Just a reminder of who is in charge.

How else can I explain it? The Gremlins did it? NAH.... nobody would belive that! :crackup:

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Hey Mike,

Being somewhat of a BS'er myself, I have never been afraid to embellish on a story over the years, in fact, I come from a long line of BS'ers!

In this case, I have to "tip my hat" to you, brother. That was one fine story! :crackup:

I especially like it when a story like that has a happy ending. Congrats on getting that Air Ride Controller going!

You Da' MAN, Mike!:clap2::clap2:

Earl

We have all had times when we were afraid of our bike for one reason or another.

But the tables have turned for me ...... I think the bike is a bit nervous if not down right frightened of what I might do to it next.

Since last season I've been fighting a glitch in the CLASS controller.

So I had the bike on the lift, I got the work bench folded down from the wall and laid out the needed tools and parts. plugged in the soldering pencil for the one last shot

Popped the release for the housing and lifted it out.

As I pulled it up I brushed my finger against the button and the bike started to vibrate.

The display showed 40, then 50 then 60 and stopped at 71......

How else can I explain it? The Gremlins did it? NAH.... NOBODY would believe that! :crackup:

Mike

Looks a little more like the truth.....:whistling::whistling::whistling:

So you're going to have a Class Meet & Greet at your place,, everybody is going to want you to deal with their Class issues. Best get the food ready.

BTW, your story had me sitting in the dentist chair, no wonder your scoot fixed itself.