IGNORED

here we go again!!!

warriorhoneybee

I have used plugs in the past and have some stored in one of my saddlebags right now for emergencies. I, too, have recently replaced my rear tire and within the first 500 miles picked up a nail just as the OP did. When I went to put the plug in I cringed at the thought of having to make a small( less than 1/8 inch) hole bigger just so I could get the plug in. That's one of the reasons I recommend fixing a tire by placing a patch on the inside of the tire. Now if you're somewhere stranded beside the road, then I'd be the first to use a plug. But if you don't have an air pump of some type to refill the tire then I guess the plug is pretty much a moot point. That's why I also carry a compressor in the bottom of my bag.

I ALWAYS carry an ATV tire repair kit in my saddle bag now. When you are out venturing into those out-of-the-way unpopulated areas you are completely immobilized if you have a deflating/deflated tire. Been there, won't let that happen again.

If there is any advise that I can impart to members here, go out and buy an emergency repair kit (make sure it has the co2 tire inflation) at an autostore, walmart, wherever.. They are inexpensive ($20-30) and small. Throw it in the corner of your saddle bag and thank me in the future.

:080402gudl_prv:

I had a small nail go into my brand new rear Avon. I only had about 75 miles on the tire, so when I say new, I mean NEW!! I was at my sister's house when I saw the nail, and that made me about 55 miles from home. I decided that I needed to pull it and if it leaked install a Stop & Go plug to get it home. I pulled the nail and found that it was bent to the side and didn't actually puncture the tire. I had NO air leaking out. I wore that tire completely out without a problem.

When you had the tire plug come flying out, it opened up a pretty big hole, and the air escaped quickly. If this opening eventually starts leaking, it'll be a real small leak, and the tire won't go flat fast. Leave it alone and ride it, just keep an eye on the tire pressure.

hadn't made it to the shop yet, i was thinking of tubing it but than thought if i get another nail in it on the road i won't be able to patch it.:bluesbrother:

I don't know where you guys find all them nails?

Black Owl use to find a lot of them also.

I think I have had one nail in 50 years of riding and the tire didn't go flat with that one.

BOO