IGNORED

RIP Earl Scruggs

RandyR

I am so glad you posted this thread. Earl Scruggs was absolutely the greatest banjo picker of all time.

I had several of his records, at the time they were CD's with a thyroid problem. Ron and I love Blue Grass and especially appreciated the talents of Mr. Scruggs.

Yama Mama

I have loved bluegrass since a child, 48 now. I am one of the rare few that have always been big fans of Earl Scruggs & Lester Flat, Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys, when most my age where listening to Kiss, so did I, but the next three songs might be bluegrass.

Me and JD road to the Hills of Home Festival and enjoyed one day of good bluegrass last year. Rest In Peace Earl.............

Fuzzy

earl was a legend. he was the originator of three finger style picking. he also inspired me to learn how to play the banjo years ago. he had perfect timing and lots of neat licks that he originated, which are still used today by most all pickers. his son plays a mean flattop and has a band. earl was also a pilot and flew his own plane. what a ngreat loss to the world of blue grass.

My dad and all of his siblings were born making bluegrass music in North Georgia. My uncles had their own bands until last year when they retired. I lived in South Georgia all my life but remember going to my grandmother's house in Hartwell, Georgia and watching Lester and Earl on tv on saturday night. The tv was rarely turned on in those days but it was always turned on when Lester and Earl were on. After the tv program my dad and uncles and sometimes neighbors would come over and play music till midnight. There was a neighbor that had twin sons that would buck dance. That was the good ole days. Question, is Chris Scruggs Earl's son or grandson?

Good thread, thanks for starting. I really enjoy reading everyone's post about Bluegrass and the those that began the music and those that are still listening to the songs of the mountains. The family ties and so forth.

My son would sit on my lap and watch every minute of the Song Of The Mountains bluegrass program on tv when he was only 1 year old. He would wiggle his feet to the beat of the music and sit there listening to the entire show. He is 7 now and still loves bluegrass. I bought him a small frame full size guitar a month ago. He is messing with it ever now and then. We keep it in the front room and when we have playing visitors, they pick a tune.

I can pick a little, but I guess I am a gifted listener.

Fuzzy