I founds some tech info on another Venture site (sorry--not disloyal, just thorough). It had output specs for the stator. Mine is perfectly within spec, but the output is less than I would like. Output is between 12.4v and 13.4v (depending on load). I'm looking at a new R/R since my stator is well within spec. Suggestions?

I got a Shindengen Mosfet similar to this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHINDENGEN-MOSFET-FH012AA-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-KIT-/360358573656

I removed the radio and tape deck from the left fairing, and installed it there, rather than its original exposed location on the frame. They are not like the older ones that radiate enormous amounts of heat, but are solid state and run cool, so bolting it to ABS plastic isn't an issue.

:080402gudl_prv:

If the voltage is dropping under your load, you may need a bigger stator and a bigger R/R.

Just putting in a R/R rated for more amps will not give any more power by itself.

Just hooking up a bigger R/R will not make the stator put out any more power.

The stator generates around 20 - 30 volts AC. The R/R just converts it from AC to DC (rectifier) and then controls the voltage to the 13.8VDC that you need (regulator).

When your load is asking for more power than the stator can deliver the voltage drops as the amps go up. The type of regulator on our bikes can not increase voltage, it can only reduce a higher voltage to a lower one. So if the regulator output voltage falls to less than about 15 volts due to lots of amps being used, there is nothing the regulator can do to bring the voltage back up. There is also a limit to how many amps a regulator can handle. The stock regulator is sized to work with the stock stator. If you go to a more powerful stator, then you may also have to go with a more powerful R/R to handle the extra amps. A bigger R/R will do nothing by its self.

the one the KenP has linked to in ebay looks like the one that I bought with the group buy. i think it has a bigger capapcity than stock and will help enable you to actually make use of the higher output stator if you decide to go that way.

brian

PM skydoc_17, (Earl). He's been selling some Mosfet type R/R's that should work as well as upgrade stators if needed. He will be able to answer any questions about your charging issue also.

I'd be suspecting a problem with the stator at that low range of charge. Are you testing the volts with a multimeter at the battery with the motor reving above 2,000 RPM?

12.4 is at a drain point and the 13.4 is doing very little to help. Readings should be much closer to 14.5 for best performance.

Like Ken, I mounted mine inside the left fairing also. I'm charging at a constant 14.4 now but that is with an upgrade stator.

The link in Ken's post is the same as the group buy one and a good price with the the Maxi fuse set put and connections. He also shows another listing with only the R/R and the needed plug connectors for $110.95.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Who was it that did the R/R buy?? Maybe another?? Something got in my way and I missed the first one.

I think Dano had that set up originally but that will probably never happen again at the price we got them for.

I tryed to see if I could set up another group buy with the same guy and that was a one time only deal from him. Had some, don't have no more.

I have found a local AMERICAN MADE Company that makes the High Output Stator and High Output R/R I offer in the Classifieds. The R/R is a DIRECT Electronic Copy of the High Output Shindengen MOSFET Regulator Rectifier that was originally offered in the group buy. I offer the Stator and R/R for the Second Gen.'s as well. Both the Stator and the R/R have a 1 year warranty and as it is with EVERY item I offer in the Classifieds, I personally stand behind these two products. In the Ad I have in the Classifieds, I offer the Stator and the R/R as a matched set. The addition of a High Output Stator run thru a stock R/R does not yield the full benefits of the High Output Stator. The addition of a High Output MOSFET Regulator Rectifier powered by a stock Stator has even less electrical value. Not only do you get a matched set of components in the kit I offer, you also get every gasket you will need to complete this project, with USPS Insured Priority Mail shipping Included in the USA. This project falls into the "I only want to do the job once" category, in my opinion. So I suggest you choose your components wisely. Here is a link to the kit I offer:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3853&title=first-genhigh-output-stator-and-high-output-regulator-2frectifier-kit-21&cat=22

If you have any questions about your charging system, or if you are a Second Gen. owner and are wondering if you already have the High Output Charging system on your bike, please feel free to contact me.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
CRAYON BROKE!