IGNORED

Another gripe about Facebook

Midrsv

I've never really been a fan of Facebook because I feel it is just too intrusive into our lives. I have an account with a few friends that I don't really use or post on. I look at it once every couple of weeks and see updates such as info on an aquaitances kid's last bowel movement or similar dribble. Here is something I discoverd today and you facebook users may already be aware of it.

I was having lunch with coworkers which included my manager which is nothing unusual since we do that most days and we're all friends. Today my manager is looking at his phone and he says "I see you read a couple of articles last night". I questioned him about that and apparently Facebook had shared with him what I read off of Yahoo last night. He quoted me 4 topics which were correct, I had read them. Now I find this a real invasion of privacy. Since he saw that I have to assume all of my other "friends" saw it too. Now what I read wasn't anything significant, just Yahoo headlines. However, had I been searching for a new job or reading how to deal with managers, etc. That could have been awkward. If I read something of interest and feel it is worthy I'll mention it to my friends. I don't need Facebook automating that for me.

So tonight I have gone into Yahoo and Facebook and turned on or off any security setting I could find that shares any information about my online activity. And if I find that doesn't fix it I'll delete my Facebook account.

Dennis

Your manager is waaaaasy out of line with his comment in the first place!!! If someone did that where I work he or she would be having to deal with the HR department so fast it would make his or her head swim! Unless you are being disciplined for something that is a gross invasion of privacy and subject to discipline...

Your manager is waaaaasy out of line with his comment in the first place!!! If someone did that where I work he or she would be having to deal with the HR department so fast it would make his or her head swim! Unless you are being disciplined for something that is a gross invasion of privacy and subject to discipline...

No, I don't feel that way at all. We've been friends for a long time, even before becoming my manager. He wasn't snooping around. He just found it interesting that Facebook was telling him what his friends were reading. I'm glad he told me.

Dennis

I'm not so sure that would be an invasion. If it is on the internet, that usually is considered public information. Was it necessarily inappropriate for the manager to discuss it? I would think so but again I don't see where he really did anything wrong. Now, would I be happy about it? NOPE. But realize that two can play at that game... hmmmm have your checked what he has read lately. I would make sure that was discussed at the table next time..:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

I am comfortable that unless the info was used for financial or personal gain, there is not anything foul but just bad taste.

I have no facebook or similar account for just that reason. There is enough info out there for anyone to see already. Be careful what you put put there.. Even if you post here, anyone can find it even after you delete it here. Too many bots storing things for later retrieval for financial gain.

This post as always is IMHO

And I no longer do FB,,,, been TWO WHOLE WEEKS now.. and I am liking it !!

less emails on who tagged who and yadda yadda yadda...

I lived without if for 55 years I still can!!

Now have any of you read the latest about your employer or a new employer

wanting to higher you? That can now ask for your facebook user ID and password

OR you don't get the JOB! :shock3:

Jeff

My wife is not allowed at her work to have any supervisor or people she knows there

on her facebook. OR she would get terminated.

Can anyone tell me how to permanently remove myself from facebook? I've looked and looked, can't figure it out. I did finally unsubscribe from getting all those irritating notifications in my email from whenever someone posted some idiotic comment about how bad their day is going, or their scripture for the day, or how cute their grandchild's bottom is when it's time to change a diaper. Some things are just better kept private! For some people it's a way of life, and that's OK, just not for me.

Guest Rev'n Ahead

I permanently logged off of fb a few months ago. To do that, google something like "deleting my facebook account" and you will get a lot of help.

The key to this is that once you have contacted fb with your cancellation you MUST stay off it for 2-3 weeks. If you try to see something on fb it will reactivate and you start all over again.

I successfully dropped out of fb... and am NOT missing it.

I know all the gripes about FB. I use it to keep up with my kids and friends so I try to keep myself educated about how to keep private what I don't want shared. First thing his manager wasn't snooping, he was already a facebook friend.

Now to keep certain information from being broadcast to your FB friends is a fairly simple process also. When you access some of the news sites using your facebook account you have to click on an area that sets up who is going to be able to see your activity. It is set to normally default to whatever you have set up in your privacy settings, so it may be just friends or public. If you don't want anyone to see it, just click on the drop down and customize it just to been seen by yourself. That will keep it from being posted on your friends wall.

Yes it is a bit of a pain, but I have chosen to use this method of sharing with my friends and family so I do so. I was always lousy at writing letters or phone calls, so this suits me well.

Going on three weeks now and loving it.. ( And life seems more peaceful with out it)

Thought I would have with-drawls but I went cold turkey instead. :D

I guess the wife will tell me if the kids got into any trouble or not.

far as myself I am done.!!

Jeff

Yes it is a bit of a pain, but I have chosen to use this method of sharing with my friends and family so I do so. I was always lousy at writing letters or phone calls, so this suits me well.

I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I say "It is what the user makes it". I haven't been on mine for 3 days. I usually check it every couple days and only have family and a couple good friends. I think I have a whopping 22 friends now...lol.

like most things,it is what you make it. if your worried about information getting out than the web is not your friend especially sites that are public. i just use it to keep up with some distanced friends from other states and other countries. i try not to put or let things get on FB that i don't want anybody to see. if you don't like it than I'm thinking don't join or delete it if you can. just my two cents worth. o yea, IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like most things,it is what you make it. if your worried about information getting out than the web is not your friend especially sites that are public. i just use it to keep up with some distanced friends from other states and other countries. i try not to put or let things get on FB that i don't want anybody to see. if you don't like it than I'm thinking don't join or delete it if you can. just my two cents worth. o yea, IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, Ive got friends/family in austrailia, england ,canada,and ireland just to name a few. Then there is the pgr site. National pgr site will notify you of upcoming missions by email but I dont check email daily. Now ncpgr on facebook is updated usually by the hour and sometimes as quick as a minute or so. Theres also a ventureriders facebook by the way and a cruisin the kooten whatevers its called facebook page. I cant go there because of work and moms health so its nice to be able to keep up with all thats going on in there , see the pics and so forth. I guess it is what it is. And If I decide to change jobs and they say i want get the job unless I give them my log in info then I just walk away. Im a painter. Constructions sites shouldnt care who I voted for , what i watched last night or who my friends are. Also facebook legal is working on getting that written as a law to make it illegal for employers to do this. its an invasion of my privacy.

And if you dont like facebook because its puvlic, then google a question about your bike that youve already asked on this site and see what you get. Ive done it and got my own question and responses on google. So nothing is private even though this is a .org site and we pay to be here its still open for others to find on a search engine.

Ok soap box has been crushed by my fat butt standing on it so Im stopping.

later

David

I have more privacy issues with Emails that are forwarded with a ton of other recipients on the email. I KNOW those email addresses are somehow captured by spammers down the line and constantly get SPAM I do not want and have have never even been to sites like that. When I send a forward,which is rare,I remove all the other recipients before sending. Same on FaceBook,I dont do any games or requests to join this that or the other because of same. Ive had no problems YET with facebook but I do watch what I put on there.because I KNOW employers do look into it IF it is public view...as far as employers asking for your password to see what you post,Id fight it tooth and nail and if I failed at that Id just go ahead and retire.