• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good luck twigg....

when i lived on oklahoma city

we did okc to memphis and back

i was on a 1200 sportster....my butt still hurts and that was 2006

my buddy was ona dyna....he faired little better

Darn it you've inspired me. I'll have to grab up Kirby and get a gold myself. After I cool off a little.

Is it that I'm just old or has global warming got me. Darn this heat is getting too me. All be it, better

than being cold.

What you say Kirby, ready? :banana:

Wish you the best Twigg. :fingers-crossed-emo

I was reading his updates and he hit Gallup, the turn around point at 12 hours. Half the time for the trip. He was concerned about the time with the night riding. Expected it might slow him down a bit.

I guess this will be his "Trial by Fire" on his new headlight. Hope it leads him safely.

Hang in there Twigg!

Mike

First track point was at 9:28 am

Turnaround was at 19:12 pm

Less than 10 hrs elapsed.

He shows as being in Edgewood NM at 21:23, this looks to be about 20% of the return leg. Appears he is doing what he set out to.

Gary

Looks like he got hung up in Tucumcari for several hours. Hope it was just for sleep instead of mechanical issues. Running a bit behind and appears he will fall short of his goal, but is still in line for an epic ride. A smart ride is better than a 'successful' ride any day.

Iron Butt Association - Dedicated to the Sport of SAFE Long-Distance Riding.

Looking forward to the ride report Twigg.

RR

Just for a frame of reference here, 1500 miles covered within 24 hours is an AVERAGE of 62.5 miles covered for every single hour. It's nearly a challenge to maintain an average speed over 60mph even if you're rolling down the interstate nonstop. That leaves two options:

A) Speed like mad and have a few rest periods.

B) Still speed but not take any rests or breaks, which is a recipe for trouble.

I suppose states with 75+ mph speed limits would make it a more feasible goal. Still quite a challenge either way. Gotta give the feller lots of credit for having a serious go at it.

For further reference: The 495 mile trip between where I live and my parents' home near St. Louis takes me at least 8.5 hours to complete the trip almost every time. My usual interstate speed (WI and IL have 65mph rural interstate speed limits) is 73-74mph with a few spirited bursts over 80 and approaching 90 a couple times here and there. 495/8.5 = 58.235 average mph, and keep in mind my typical travel speed for the vast majority of the trip. That just shows how fast you have to be travelling in order to maintain an average over 60mph.

Just for a frame of reference here, 1500 miles covered within 24 hours is an AVERAGE of 62.5 miles covered for every single hour. It's nearly a challenge to maintain an average speed over 60mph even if you're rolling down the interstate nonstop. That leaves two options:

A) Speed like mad and have a few rest periods.

B) Still speed but not take any rests or breaks, which is a recipe for trouble.

I suppose states with 75+ mph speed limits would make it a more feasible goal. Still quite a challenge either way. Gotta give the feller lots of credit for having a serious go at it.

Speeding like mad actually makes it almost impossible to get this done. The additional stress of high speed riding (worries about LEOs, safety, etc.) will not allow you to stay alert for the full time. One stop by the police and the run no longer has a chance. Also, the additional speed kills your gas mileage requiring more stops. In the end, it doesn't help.

The methodology to do this is to sit there, twist that. Stops are kept to a minimum and they are run like a NASCAR pitstop. Generally, if you are serious about making a ride like this you practice stops with a stopwatch. Try to get under 5 minutes per stop, off/on time under 10.

It helps if you plan your stops where the gas stations are EZ off, EZ on. Eat on the bike, drink on the bike, keep your speed reasonable (under +10 usually), and keep your focus. It is far more a mental challenge than a physical one.

Twigg, I will quit hijacking your opportunities for response. Hope you made it home safely and look forward to running long with you sometime.

RR