IGNORED

Avons go fast at the end

Midrsv

I went for a ride yesterday with some friends and one was on a Tour Deluxe. He knew that his tire was worn to the wear bars and already had a new set to install but we thought he would be OK to ride yesterday since we were not going that far, maybe 150 miles, and we wouldn't be on any high speed highways. Apparently Avon puts the wear bars right on top of the cords. About 20 miles from home the tire went flat. Wasn't a big deal. He just pulled into a driveway and waited while we rode on home to get the trailer. Attached is a photo of the tire. As you rotate the tire all the way around there are alternating patches of rubber and bare cords. Just thankful we were close to home. So be aware that with Avons there is no margin of safety once you are down to the bars.

It was also interesting that he had sevaral Harley riders stop to check on him while he was parked. A couple were ladies who stopped to console him for about 15 minutes.

Dennis

Judging from the amount of inner cords showing id say the "Luck-O-Meter" was pushed to its limits. I did that with my very first set of Avons. I had about 14k on them and those cords popped up pretty fast. Once I see that center down pretty good I replaced my tires sooner in the future sets. We all have our tire preferences as well as different experiences with them. For some one brand does better than another brand. I find the Avons do the trick for me. Lost rubber twice from a properly inflated 880 but some here have had good experiences with them. I guess its a lifetime goal to find a rubber product that wont fail at the worst possible moment........:whistling:

That tire might have had 150 miles left in it 500 miles ago. If there are alternating patches of rubber and cord,the tire was also cupped slightly. If you lock it up once good during the life of the tire, the resulting flat spot will start a progressive cup.

My guess is if he had jacked up the rear and spun the tire and checked it carefully before he left, he would have stayed home. IIRC from new pictures the Avon Venom rear does not have a center groove or tread pattern that joins symetrically along the center of the tread. I think the tread lines alternate and partially pass over the center but don't meet.You really need to check and remember how the tire is new to evaluate when its worn. If your down to wear bars on the tread pattern out past the the center, the center was done many miles ago.

He's lucky all it did was leak down to flat on him. Don't think you can blame the tire.

RSTDdog

I went for a ride yesterday with some friends and one was on a Tour Deluxe. He knew that his tire was worn to the wear bars and already had a new set to install but we thought he would be OK to ride yesterday since we were not going that far, maybe 150 miles, and we wouldn't be on any high speed highways. Apparently Avon puts the wear bars right on top of the cords. About 20 miles from home the tire went flat. Wasn't a big deal. He just pulled into a driveway and waited while we rode on home to get the trailer. Attached is a photo of the tire. As you rotate the tire all the way around there are alternating patches of rubber and bare cords. Just thankful we were close to home. So be aware that with Avons there is no margin of safety once you are down to the bars.

It was also interesting that he had sevaral Harley riders stop to check on him while he was parked. A couple were ladies who stopped to console him for about 15 minutes.

Dennis

Was that Larry? Poor guy was probably in extreme distress having to be consoled by those ladies?.......NOT!

:big-grin-emoticon: