IGNORED

10 Facts About AGM Battery's

saddlebum

More research into how to maintain an AGM is definitely needed here. I would suspect they need a controlled steady 14.5 volt charge (not more or not less) on somewhat of a regular basis (like running in the bike) to keep them at primetime. Maybe someone can verify that down the road. And they probably do better with no maintainer and just left alone as a lot of people do (except for the careful ones).

I have upgraded my RR to a Mosfet version which really enhances the charging of a regular lead-acid battery, so I think I will go back to this type as it seems to make the biggest difference to my overall system performance (including upgraded battery cables). I have the original stator and it works just fine with the new RR. It really enhances the low speed charging which improves the starting when hot of the old Ventures. I find that it keeps a lead-acid battery well over 13.0 volts quite easily so I don't see any real advantage of the AGM. Nice idea and it may work great for some fellows, but it seems to be a risky venture money-wise. Like OB-1 said "it's your money."

:080402gudl_prv:

Good points. Two things that I think have affected the performance of my AGM is the fact that it has never had a maintainer on it. It never has needed the extra boost even during storage

I have the upgrade stator and the upgrade R/R Mosfet also. The system is a solid 14.4 just above idle. With the battery dormant it is always showed 12.8 v.

So with all components working properly it all adds up to a reliable system.

Mike