My '84 had the power plug in also and had no wires on it when I got it. I did buy a new jack with a weather cover and wired it up myself directly to the battery. (Don't forget to install a fuse!)

Use appropriate wire gauge and fuse for the application you intend.

Mike

No, you should remove the dash piece to replace the outlet. There is an outer cylinder that screws onto the inner casing with the dash piece captured at the top.

Unless you are talking about the waterproof cover for the outlet, that should pop off allowing you to plug in your GPS, Cell phone charger, IPOD, etc providing the plug is wired up...

Oops! I just carefully reread your first post and I assume you mean that the outlet is there but like in Mike's case no wires are attached. You will be best served removing the dash piece and the false tank cover to wire it up. I would go with a new waterproof outlet as the old one is over 20 years old and probably corroded. One nice thing about wiring directly to the battery is you can then plug a battery tender in there when storing the bike! As far as a fuse value, unless you are using it for a cigarette lighter, a 10 Amp or even a 5 amp fuse will suffice. If you plan on using it as a cigarette lighter then a 20 Amp will be more appropriate...