IGNORED

2nd Gen Throttle cable

Rick Haywood

OK I haven't seen this covered so here is my question. I was pulling into a driveway today about 35 miles from hame and went to twist on the throttle and nothing, no warning, no issues before this. It still had the return pull pul but nothing for throttle. Now has anyone had this happen and if so did the cable break or just come loose. Makes it really hard to ride without the throttle. Any help would be appreciated before I start to tear it apart.

Thanks

You'll have some troubleshooting to do Rick. It looks like there is an intermediate throttle wheel involving the cruise control. So you probably have a pull cable from the handlebars to the intermediate wheel, and another pull cable from the intermediate wheel to the carb wheel.

Do you have a manual. There is one available for download in the tech section I believe.

Good Luck, Scooter Bob

thats what happened when I broke the cable on my G1 85. Was riding along the highway with ctuise on, flip off the cruise and go to pass, and NOTHING! It would return but no pull to get the speed. I ended up using the Choke to bring up my idle so I could get home.

I took it to the dealer, and wanted them to replace every cable, it runs fine since.

brian

You'll have some troubleshooting to do Rick. It looks like there is an intermediate throttle wheel involving the cruise control. So you probably have a pull cable from the handlebars to the intermediate wheel, and another pull cable from the intermediate wheel to the carb wheel.

Do you have a manual. There is one available for download in the tech section I believe.

Good Luck, Scooter Bob

Yes I do have a manual Bob. Do you know where the cruise wheel is located? What you said makes sense as to what may have happened.

Thanks for the info. I am going to start tracking down the problem tomorrow and I am also putting in new friction plates so guess it will be a wrenching day.

The wheel is located on the left side under the neck cover. Pull the tank and plastic neck cover, you'll see the 5 cables attached to it. The one that goes down is going to the cruise control motor.

Check out post 2 of this thread, theres a picture of the junction box and wheel.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45660&highlight=flanders

While you've got everything torn apart anyway, you might want to buy a cable lubricating device that you attach to the end of a cable and insert the tube from a can of cable lube ...

(on all your cables)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/205/4838/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Cable-Luber.aspx

Might be able to get cheaper at advance auto...

While you've got everything torn apart anyway, you might want to buy a cable lubricating device that you attach to the end of a cable and insert the tube from a can of cable lube ...

(on all your cables)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/205/4838/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Cable-Luber.aspx

Might be able to get cheaper at advance auto...

Joe

Thanks for the advice, I will do that while I have things apart

Mine had frayed so bad it stopped turning. found the problem and got new cable

this was about 5 years ago. it only had like one thread left on the cable.

there was a photo of it on here but I think it was before the BIG CRASH

of this site back then.

Jeff