IGNORED

OOPs, rode the competition

SapperMedic

Had to run by the local Yammy shop to pick up oil and filter for the scoot. Saw a new 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour. Randy said take it around the block while I get your stuff. BIG mistake. My RSV has power, but this thing could scare the bejeebers out of me. Wish Yamaha would get it together and update. If I had the extra cash I might be riding something different today, but mines paid for. Anyone else ride it and like it? Or am I just slobbering over something that won't last.

I rode one this year at the Bikes, Blues, and BBQ in AK. Nice center of grav and manuvers nicely for the 20 min ride. But not enough power for what I need when going on long rides w/ my wife and trailer. Don't forget the mpg. When asking other owners about it, they seemed disappointed w/ only 35-37 mpg.

I do agree Yamaha needs to stop sitting on their brains and update and correct the 13+ years of problems we have w/ the Venture. And STOP downgrading the org. power of the 1300. Or at least gear the second gear for more tq.:backinmyday:

Yes I rode the XC or Cross Country. What a fantastic bike, and probably my next bike. To bad it is not liquid cooled. Like you, I really wish mother yamie would be competative. Rode the Liners, and they are fast but just lacking other items, and basically on a softail frame. So for any long distance riding the RSV is yamies best. The XC really impressed me also, never thought I would have a bike come close to the RSV, but Victory did a very good job with the XC. Just my 2 cents. Later-

I have rode them the last 2 yr they have had the demo tour over in Lakeland. If chash was in hand I'd be riding one now. Also rode the Vision, but thats one of them bike you either like or dont. At a stand still it feels heavy. The XC dont. I thought the XC had plenty of power, but at the time I was on a 900 Kawi twin. For the money even though they are pricey I think the motor company had better be looking for the cross hair mark. You get more standard features for less on a Victory.

Victory had the factory truck in the area a few weeks ago. I took the Vision and the XC for a ride. The XC carried the weight low and was very well behaved at parking lot speeds. I didn't find it had any more power then my Venture and shifting was "clunky". It has a cable clutch which I didn't care for although it had an easy pull. The factory guy said they are special coated cables that "better not break at $300 to replace". The hard side bags had a large gap under the lid and I wonder if water would be blown in under the lid if riding in a hard rain. No factory option passing lamps, I consider this a major safety issue. The intercom/CB option is ridiculously way over priced. I liked the electronics and ABS. The floorboards are huge and give you plenty of room to move around, I don't think you would need highway pegs to stretch out. The fit & finish is a step back from the Venture. I may consider one in the future but not enough "wow factor" to replace my Venture.

I have ridden the vision and xc in stock form the power is pretty good but with stage one the power is way better. Both bikes at parking lot speeds are better then my venture. Even on twisty roads it handles nicer than my venture. The dealer is a buddy of mine and he lets me take just about anything for a big ride. There is less room in the cockpit on both bikes then the venture and the boss pointed it out right away and her and I are not big by no means. She is 5'1" 115# and Iam 5'11" 195#. The fact that both bikes don't chirp like mine is great. I think the xc looks cool but my wife likes the look of the HD Ultra Classic better and we have ridden a few 2011s and 2012 of them to.

Just wish mother yamaha would pull their heads out of their a$$es and wake up. :fingers-crossed-emo

Amy and I tried out both the Vision and the XC Tour when we were at Roar on the Shore in Erie PA the last two years. I like the XC Tour better for handling at slow speeds. Amy said she like the XC Tour also it is more comfortable. I am looking at getting one when I retire in 3 years.

I tested out the XC Tourer today great bike but for the money the fuel milage isn't there only 34 mpg's.. But I have to admit it's a very nice ride and has all the power you would ever want. So now I'm thinking it over the RSV is getting in the mid 40's mpg now and the fact I'm headed for rotator cuff and deltoid muscle surgery soon can't see a new bike sitting most of the summer. But it does feel alot lighter than the RSV.

Richie, if you think the cockpit is small on the Victory you'd better check out the HD ultra close before the wife gets to "in love" with it. I have some friends that have the HD and that is one of the wives complaint. They felt jammed on top of the driver. They are a big bike but the room for driver and passenger is limited.

We rode a few HDs Ultra classics and they have a little smaller cockpit than the victory. What I have seen on the XC is they get better mileage with the stage one kit than they do stock. My friends that have victorys are always in the low to mid 40s for mileage. They are a pretty nice bike though.

Yes the Victory's are a very nice bike and I really like the XC. The one I was looking at we couldn't get one of the side covers to stay latched I was nervous it would blow off on my demo ride. If I knew the mpg's were better I would be on one now. But my 08 still has 3 years left on it's warranty so thats a good thing to think about as well. Everyone likes what they like and as long as you enjoy it thats what counts and matters. :12101:

Richie, if you think the cockpit is small on the Victory you'd better check out the HD ultra close before the wife gets to "in love" with it. I have some friends that have the HD and that is one of the wives complaint. They felt jammed on top of the driver. They are a big bike but the room for driver and passenger is limited.
I cant comment on the passenger room on the ultra. But I did ride a street glide before I bought my road glide custom. The batwing fairing on the streetglide/ultra feels very close and cramped. On my road glide custom the fixed fairing is a long ways away giving you lots of room. I am 6 foot 260 pounds and have as much room or more than my RSTD has. Now you can buy the road glide in the ultra as well. Might be an option if you like the looks of the fixed "sharknose" fairing.

I have ridden, and do love that Victory. But if Yamaha updated thier V4 touring bike with fuel injection, ABS, and radial tires I would buy a new one today. The thing is, it is the value of this bike that got me hooked. Just because I can now afford a little better bike doesn't mean that the value Yamaha provides is not wanted by all the other V4 riders out there.

Life is a compromise. The money I spend on the bike is money I can't spend on my family or my other hobbies. Having a bike that is a great ride and paid for is worth a lot. I think I'll keep my 05 and count my blessings, at least until Yamaha comes through with that V4, ABS, fuel injection and radial tires.