IGNORED

Front Helmet intercom plug?

Chaharly

Where exactly is the front plug located? I just purchased 2 83s with CB's and i cant seem to find the front helmet plug. The back one is located in the same place as it was on my 85 i used to have. I havent dug into it much, but i plan on tearing both bikes apart to make one good bike. Also there is no push to talk switch for the CB. I'm just a little confused on how that works too, but any information would be much appreciated. Thank you

CJ

They didn't make an OEM CB in '83. Therefore they didn't have the PPT feature on the lefthand controls. There is an interface cable that comes off the AMP for connecting to the helmet, but it doesn't include mic feature. They did make an aftermarket CB for a while. Qual Comm... or something like that. They show up on Ebay every once in a while.

They didn't make an OEM CB in '83. Therefore they didn't have the PPT feature on the lefthand controls. There is an interface cable that comes off the AMP for connecting to the helmet, but it doesn't include mic feature. They did make an aftermarket CB for a while. Qual Comm... or something like that. They show up on Ebay every once in a while.

So i have to buy a mic and hook it directly to the CB?, but i can still listen to the tunes and cb without buying one?

So i have to buy a mic and hook it directly to the CB?, but i can still listen to the tunes and cb without buying one?

Not sure how the aftermarket CB mic hooks up as I've never had one. On my '83 sans CB I actually cut the mic off a J&M headset and just listened.

So if i have a cb on my 83, then its definately an aftermarket?

Not quite Jack, there is mic leads for the intercom in the optional helmet interface cables & a provision on the amp for a supposively optional CB to plug in, but no PTT switch. At least one member (Marcarl if I remember correctly) has retrofitted a OEM CB into a Mk1, that didn't have it.

The aftermarket CB was Cyclecomm.

So if i have a cb on my 83, then its definately an aftermarket?

Not neccessarly. You could install a factory CB that became available later on. And I beg to differ with Rocket below. The amp on my early '83 did not have a mic plug. Quite possibily Yamaha started adding that feature late in '83, prior to the '84 release, as a lot of things were tweeked during that first year. I like to call the '83 a 'Beta' Model....

Not quite Jack, there is mic leads for the intercom in the optional helmet interface cables & a provision on the amp for a supposively optional CB to plug in, but no PTT switch. At least one member (Marcarl if I remember correctly) has retrofitted a OEM CB into a Mk1, that didn't have it.

The aftermarket CB was Cyclecomm.