IGNORED

Cruise control acting strange

Almost since I've had the '99 RSV when I hit a hard bump, the cruise would drop out and the yellow RES light would be on. I suppose this is the clutch or brake lever switches causing it. When that happened all that was necessary was to push the RESUME button to resume the set speed. Today another symptom has shown up. Now when I hit a bump, not only does the cruise drop out, but now the yellow RES and the green SET light come on together and the blue ON light goes out. A second or two later the green and yellow lights go out and the blue one comes back on. Then the process repeats. Pushing CANCEL, SET or RESUME has no effect. I have to turn the system off and back on to get it to function again. Next bump REPEAT....:confused24:

I had the exact same problem with my 02 RSV, never figured it out... But after replacing my dead rear shock the problem went away. I think I remember reading that someone else had the same problem that was also resolved with a new rear shock..

Good luck.

Almost since I've had the '99 RSV when I hit a hard bump, the cruise would drop out and the yellow RES light would be on. I suppose this is the clutch or brake lever switches causing it. When that happened all that was necessary was to push the RESUME button to resume the set speed. Today another symptom has shown up. Now when I hit a bump, not only does the cruise drop out, but now the yellow RES and the green SET light come on together and the blue ON light goes out. A second or two later the green and yellow lights go out and the blue one comes back on. Then the process repeats. Pushing CANCEL, SET or RESUME has no effect. I have to turn the system off and back on to get it to function again. Next bump REPEAT....:confused24:

Walt, How fast were you going? The cruise doesn't work below a certain speed.

I found that if I'm riding with cruise just above the minimum speed and hit a bump which drops my speed below the min, that the cruise acts strangely. I don't recall if what I saw was exactly what you are seeing though.

Its happened a couple times to me, and I've decided the cruise doesn't work on low speed bumpy roads.

I had that problem on mine after a while and it was resolved easily by adjusting the throttle cables.. mine had a bit of slack in them and once tightened, never had a problem after that.

I agree....adjusted the throttle and clutch cables before I left for DC last May, and the problem went away. Prior to that, it was doing the same thing as yours.