IGNORED

A long weekend for riding - and no wheels.

spear

We're in the middle of a long weekend in my home state Down Under.

Last Tuesday (it's now Saturday) I had my bike booked in to the local Yamahaha dealer for a 40,000kms service and a new rear tyre.

Was supposed to pick it up the following day after it had been allowed to cool so the valves could be checked or whatever they do at the 40k service.

Mid-morning Wednesday I'm told that the 'parts' they needed hadn't arrived on the courier service and it would be another day. "No problems", sez me. I'll get a lift in to town with a work colleague the next day.

That night the dealer rings to tell me that his mechanic has stuffed his back "putting my carbies back in" and is off work - hopefully back on deck "later in the day". He would let me know by 6pm if it's right to go by the next morning. I did not hear back from him so I cancelled my lift with my friend.

I gave him until noon Friday to ring me but I heard nothing. Meantime the daily train has passed through so I've missed that. Mid afternoon I ring to see how it's going and I'm told that the job card is being written up "as we speak and she's right to go."

"That's fine," sez me. "But how do I get in to pick it up?" (Mind you I'm 25kms out of town with no other wheels as my pillion is away in the car visiting family.)

Stony silence from the other end. I'm waiting for something like, "No worries. We'll slip out and pick you up", or "Give us an hour and we'll pop it on a trailer and deliver it to you."

Nuh. No such offers.

I abruptly told them to lock it up in the workshop and I'll pick it up on Tuesday (after the long weekend) when everybody's back at work. I also let it be known that I planned on taking off for a couple of days riding but that was now impossible. I'm sure the tone of my voice at that stage expressed my complete and utter dissatisfaction.

So, tell me - how does a one day job turn in to a week?

Just like it did above. Wonder what sort of 'compensation discount' I'll get.

Unfortunately the closest other Yamahaha dealer is an hour and a half away.

Heck, I would have taken a cab if it meant I'd have my bike for the long weekend, especially if I had plans. Seems like they kept you in the loop and did the best they could, actually.

You don't have a closer, local bike shop you can go to for this stuff rather than the specific Yamaha dealer?

You don't have a closer, local bike shop you can go to for this stuff rather than the specific Yamaha dealer?

I have a Kawasaki dealer, a Honda dealer, a Suzuki dealer and a KTM dealer in town as well - all with workshops - but it sort of makes sense to get a Yammie serviced with a Yammie dealer. No?

I have a Kawasaki dealer, a Honda dealer, a Suzuki dealer and a KTM dealer in town as well - all with workshops - but it sort of makes sense to get a Yammie serviced with a Yammie dealer. No?

Actually, no. Why go to a dealer you're not happy with or gives you delays unless the other places have specifically said they cannot service your bike?

I've never gone to a name brand specific dealer for service ever. The "name brand" dealer around here (for our previous bike) has a bad reputation and is very expensive. I have purchased parts from them once or twice that were very specific to our bike but my general motorcycle shop (who is a dealer for two brands of bikes also) is where I've always gotten service on our bikes for the past 20 years or more. They can fix anything on any type of bike. :happy34: If they cannot, they will say so or recommend we go to the dealer itself.

I do the same with my car. I go to a place I know has a good reputation, reasonable prices and I know are good to work with.

Just because it says Yamaha doesn't mean you need to go to a Yamaha dealer, especially if you're talking about tires or carbs. They are common on many bikes, not just Yamahas, so why go only to the Yamaha dealer, especially when it's so far away? :confused24:

You're right you know about other dealers.

I picked up the bike today - OUCH! $1,350.

I asked for my bike club discount and got it down to $1,235. Ouch.

Breakdown.

Labour 8 hours @ $80 an hour = $640. OUCH. I'm in the wrong business.

Parts $585.08. Got my 'consumables' removed from the bill ($102:36) that was my discount, then add 10% GST came to 1,234.99.

EIGHTY BUCKS AN HOUR FOR LABOUR????

The snotty-nosed kid at the service desk took great delight in informing me that my bike was "out of registration." (For the benefit of those in the States - unlicensed.)

Told him it was none of his business. The rego was renewed a couple of weeks prior, I never got around to replacing the rego label. A notation was also made on the invoice to the effect that the "rego out of date."

I have a set of Samson slash-cut straight-through pipes.

A further notation was made on the invoice to the effect that they did not comply with Australian Design Rules.

When I got home I opened my top box to put my helmet away, and there inside is a screwed up soft drink cup from Subway. Not mine!

I fired an email off to the stealer and told him registration and pipes were my business - not his staff. I also told him the bike was there for a service and new tyre. Nothing else, so the rego label and pipes did not come into the equation.

I also gave him a piece of my mind for his staff using MY topbox as THEIR rubbish bin.

Have resolved to take my business to a new Kawasaki dealership in town, which incidentally is owned and operated by a bike mechanic who used to run the Yamahaha stealer's workshop. To top it off, I work in the same department as his wife here in town.

Things can only improve.

EIGHTY BUCKS AN HOUR FOR LABOUR????

Our local shop charges $60 an hour for labour. The local dealership I'm SUPPOSED to go to charges $90 an hour for labour. Not likely!!!!!

Have resolved to take my business to a new Kawasaki dealership in town, which incidentally is owned and operated by a bike mechanic who used to run the Yamahaha stealer's workshop. To top it off, I work in the same department as his wife here in town.

That sounds promising!!!!

I also told him the bike was there for a service and new tyre.

And that cost you $1325???? OMG!!!!! That's ridiculous!!!!!

We took our old bike (Honda Shadow ACE 1100) in for a once over of all the cables, tune up the carbs, replace the rear tire, etc., etc., etc. and the total only came to $500. $220 was for the tire and the rest was labour, which seemed fair to me as I had asked them to check every cable, lube it if necessary, adjust it if necessary, replace it if necessary and check the carbs and adjust as required. They adjusted the carbs and it stopped backfiring period and they lubed all the cables. None needed replacement so it was only $300 and they spent a good half day or more on it plus took it for a good ride to ensure it wasn't backfiring any more. Installation of a rear tire is something like $150 (it's a big job) :D

I really, really like our local shop!!!!! :happy34:

A dirty cup in your box? Ugh. :mad: I never leave our helmets there. They use their own if need be. :)

So glad you may have more pleasant experiences in the future!!! :080402gudl_prv:

I would print some flyers;

BUY A YAMAHA HERE

GET IT SERVICED HERE WITH NEW REAR TIRE ONLY

$1325.00

And plaster his area with them. A little glue on his windows when nobody was looking....

Be a bit bl00dy obvious, wouldn't it? :p