IGNORED

anyone have a guage pod for sale

Could be wrong but I think the story went something like the person that was making it had a patent on it (so no copies can be made), died, someone else has bought, was given the patent rights or something and they aren't making them. I am not sure who actually has the patent at this point.

Now here is one question like what many companies do all the time is someone cannot make an exact copy but they can make some changes to it and make it. Similar but different. Correct?

Could be wrong but I think the story went something like the person that was making it had a patent on it (so no copies can be made), died, someone else has bought, was given the patent rights or something and they aren't making them. I am not sure who actually has the patent at this point.

Now here is one question like what many companies do all the time is someone cannot make an exact copy but they can make some changes to it and make it. Similar but different. Correct?

if you get in touch with brent from the "venturers.org", he can give you all the facts: the owner of the production company "tripmasters" has passed on and brent distributed the leftover pods to members of venturers.org. as for patent info, you could ask brent, he is the treasurer of that club. a footnote... the pod will not work if you have risors on your venture handlebars// that why mine went to Allen at diamond r accessories.

mike.

a utility patent is more vulnerable to inadvertent expiration when an inventor fails to pay the required maintenance fees at the 3.5, 7.5 and 11.5-year intervals after the patent is granted.

Any one familiar with patent databases that could find if the patent has been renewed?

I found the Google Patent database search, but wasn't able to find the instrument pod.

http://www.google.com/patents

Edited by RandyR

Thanks Slab_Ryder and Seaking. I have not read anything bad about these gauges other than they are expensive. I just installed mine, it was very easy, it looks and works great. Just for a tach $240 is expensive but the housing it comes in is very well done and the chrome seems good. The angle is not adjustable but it is in a good location to easily read whenever I want.

The patent is owned by the Venturer's. They purchased the remaining stock and the patent from the estate, but no one knew where the molds were. I suspect they are still laying around on the shelf of the mold maker somewhere in the S.F. Bay area. I've contacted Brent to see about making copies of the one I now have... The Venturers intertained the possibly of making more, but found that cost to produce exceed demand potential. The pod will hit the OEM riser caps, and I had given thought to modifying the pod to clear them along with a few other changes. Clearing Barons risers would be next to impossible. I did contact a couple of vacuum molding companies and didn't get a return. I didn't persue it because of getting wrapped up with this years International Rally. But... just last week I found a production shop in the East Bay area that might be a source. I plan on contacting them this week to discuss possibilities. I thought that the pods could be sold without guages and let folks put in their own. Stayed tuned...

There is very little cost involved with making molds for vacuum forming. My company does it for "one off" products every single day. Custom injection molding is very cost prohibitive but vacuum molding is very simple. Heck, it could be done in the garage with some very simple fabrication.

There is very little cost involved with making molds for vacuum forming. My company does it for "one off" products every single day. Custom injection molding is very cost prohibitive but vacuum molding is very simple. Heck, it could be done in the garage with some very simple fabrication.

There ya go Don... A new income source. You never know when that Crossfire will want to turn into a ZO6 Vette ! :stickpoke: