IGNORED

I've had this happen in a car, but first time on a bike.

jrsain

I'm driving in the center lane of three, I look in my left mirror and see a car what seemed to be plenty of room behind me to change lanes. I believe I turned my signal on and started moving to the left when I hear a clicking sound coming from the left side of my bike. Now as I look to the left I see the car that was in my rear view mirror right beside me with my newly installed highway peg doing the chariot thing on her front wheel. Thank the LORD that HE gave me the ability to remain calm and move slowly to the right away from the car that I was sharing the lane with. She slowed down, I moved ahead of her and we made a left hand turn off the road to talk. She the driver of the car asked if I was OK (I don't know yet how I was not shaken) I said yes as I looked at my peg and realized it was somewhat OK. We then looked at her car with a few scratches in the clear coat of her wheel and missing center cap. She's saying lets just exchange info and is gesturing that I pay for her loss. So, I reply lets call the police so the blame can be appropriately charged. She replied "Are we really going to do this" and I said do what? She said she had a good relationship with her dealer and she would be reasonable and did we really want to involve the law and spend a few hours doing it. I said OK and it probably was a wise decision once I was away from the scene but, I still am wondering why she was so adamant about no police. As I reflect I was at fault because I was the one changing lanes, I almost always look over my shoulder along with looking in the mirror and this is the reason why. Again thank GOD it could have been worse.

I would have done the same as the driver (even with my insurance and license being fully up to date and valid). No use in getting the police involved with such a minor incident. It would require a bunch of time sitting around, filling out paperwork, etc.

I think it was handled the right way. You must have come across as trustworthy and she was comfortable that she would be made whole. Good on you.

FYI - One reason to always look over your shoulder before making a lane change. BTDT, but not to this extent. Glad no one (you) was(n't) hurt. Could have been ugly.

RR

Edited by RedRider

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, I haven't heard from her and it has been almost a month. what is the statutes of limitation on something like this? LOL Anyhow I don't plan to call her and I am still thanking the Lord that it wasn't serious. I has been a real eye opener for me, I don't move unless I have turned my head and have taken a look, not trusting my mirrors.

My mother of 80, had a situation where she was in a 3 car fender bender. The police was called by someone other than my mother. My mother was cut off from a car in the lane left of her as this car made a quick right turn in front of her into the Kmart parking causing her to brake. My mother was up set and turned the corner at the next intersection got out but no one came. So she drove home and told me that someone hit and run her. So I reported the accident and then found out what the police reported my mother is being charged with hit and run for the damage showed that the other person had established lane change position.

Well a long story shortened. The Police Officier said that unless one of the other two parties calls back to see if my mother the offending person has been identified nothing will come of this hit and run charge on my mother. The Officer was understanding and said that he did not think that neithor of the other 2 persons would call back for they had no licenses and insurance. And the story ended happily for my mother.

My mother of 80, had a situation where she was in a 3 car fender bender. The police was called by someone other than my mother. My mother was cut off from a car in the lane left of her as this car made a quick right turn in front of her into the Kmart parking causing her to brake. My mother was up set and turned the corner at the next intersection got out but no one came. So she drove home and told me that someone hit and run her. So I reported the accident and then found out what the police reported my mother is being charged with hit and run for the damage showed that the other person had established lane change position.

Well a long story shortened. The Police Officier said that unless one of the other two parties calls back to see if my mother the offending person has been identified nothing will come of this hit and run charge on my mother. The Officer was understanding and said that he did not think that neithor of the other 2 persons would call back for they had no licenses and insurance. And the story ended happily for my mother.

My grand-daughter had a fender-bender a block from my house (had her license for two weeks). She was turning left across traffic on a four-lane at a signal controlled intersection. The light turned red, she's halfway in the intersection and proceeds to complete her turn (as almost everyone does). An oncoming car in the inside lane swerves to the outside lane and runs through the (now) red light. She clips his rear fender. She says she stopped and waited for them for 5 minutes. No show. She then drove a block to my house and parks in front. About ten minutes later the other car shows up and they start getting ugly. We called the cops and found out the other car had already called in the accident as a hit-and-run. The police show up and immediately want to blame my grand-daughter and even tell her she could go to jail for hit-and-run. I had told her to only tell her side of the story and stick to it. She did this. I was a little put off by the officer's behavior, but, kept my mouth shut. After a few minutes of brow beating her, and she kept to her story, he said to wait while he spoke to the others again. Something they said or did during the second discussion changed his attitude and he backed off the hit-and-run BS. We think the other car went down the road and changed drivers.

The officer still insisted that my grand-daughter was at-fault. I asked him what she was supposed to do when the light turned red and she had her car in the middle of the intersection. All he would say was it is the car turning across traffic has the responsiblity for making sure it is clear to turn. Although I agree with this statement, I also believe the other car was clearly more at-fault by running a red light.

Opinions? :detective:

Around here the cops don't even want to hear from you for such a minor incident. If damage is minimal (say, under $2,000) and/or there's no one injured, forget calling the LEO .... call the insurance co.

This is exactly what I have been told by the local news. An yet this officer insisted that my grand-daughter should have called 911 immediately. I believe 911 is for emergencies, not fender-benders . . .

:confused24:

Wow, glad you where not injured.

I have noticed this with these stock mirrors on our bikes. I have adjusted mine in every way. I tried putting the small black trimmed blind spot mirrors on, well they do not work either. So now I am looking at a big set of mirrors on e-bay for around $36.00 . They are advertised for our bikes and say that you can really see very well from them.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

I put the small round convex mirrors on all my bikes, and they really give you a better view, if used right, and not used as a replacement for a head check!

My problem is they are so small. Now with my age and eyesight, I would feel better with a larger mirror. I to have used these small convex mirrors on all my vehicles. Now I need the bigger ones on those too. I bought a package of four and put two on the bike and two on the Toyota Rav4. I am going to replace the ones on the Toyota. I believe that they are making them smaller now a days.

fuzzy