IGNORED

Need Prayers for Ponch!!!

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got this email and thought I would pas it along, keep David in your prayers still....

"Hello everyone sorry about the writing it is late and I have not used the lap top for all David's hospital stay. I have been learning how to use Shannon's ipad and her uptown phone, I have felt so smart until I got on the laptop, it takes too much time to find all the right keys.

Ok, I will get serious, Shannon wanted me to write the update on David. Emotionally we have had our ups and downs, Shannon is always think on the positive side. We just want him back home with us. Of course at this time, since he is still in what the doctors call the responsive state. We just have to pray harder that the bleeding in his brain will start subsiding . He is still getting a drug the doctors hope will help stimulate the brain. Since he has bleeding all in his brain, not just in a few areas, that is why it is taking him time to become fully alert. Still only opens his eyes when stimulated. That consist of moving him in bed, pt ot speech and myself have been doing things to him to get him to open eyes. I want tell you what all I do to him, I'm sure he may want to get me back one day. We have been very pleased in how fast his wounds have healed. His right eye looks a lot better and does not droop as much as it did. His mouth is not infected anymore of couse still does not look pretty. Still will need surgery to reconstruct his bottom right side of lip. We were able to see inside of his mouth one day. Looks like on right side from the front to back all top teeth are missing. So saying that, hge wil, have to be fed through a tube that was put in his abdomen, Shannon and I have got to feed him. He will probably have to be fed this way when he leaves tirr. Until he becomes fully alert we have to wait.

We do not know what we are going to be dealing with, only god knows. He does open his eyes sometimes on his on, he does recognize voices. He knows Shannon and I are there, has open eyes for other family members,and friend. He does squeze my hands and is still moving his left arm more than his right. When given a command its a delay, it may take a second for him or longer to think to give a thumbs up for example. He has had a few little problems, but changing the meds fixed the problem. He is getting the best care. I thank god everyday he is at TIRR as the threapy going well. They all tease each other when David does more for one of the therapists than the others. Had an exciting day Monday 9-5-11 they but him on a tilt table and stood him up 60 degrees. It was so exciting to see him standing even though he had 4 straps on him. They ask him to give a thumbs up, it took a few seconds but he did it on both hands, but more so on the left. He held his head up for a second or so. They ask him how he is and he mouthed something, the therapist thinks he said good Only opened his eyes a few times for a second during therapy. He did all commands with eyes closed. Speech is putting a speaking valve over his treach to see if he will make any sounds, he did make a couple. I was saying goodnight to him today and he moved his mouth to say goodnight, that was so exciting. Wait until I see all the therapist Tuesday. We are taking one day at a time, praising God that David is still with. It is hard to find the right words to thank the many people who are lifting David, myself and Shannon up to in prayer. We give God the glory and thanks for respecting Shannon and my wishes. We feel people would not want to see David in this state. Our healing is taking one day at a time. I know God is by our side every second of the day. God bless to all of you, thanks also for the phone calls and cards.

Love to all Shannon and Kathy"

Our prayers for the whole family as I know this has got to be hard.

TIRR is a great facility so he is in great hands.

I haven't been part of this Venture family that long but I have met Ponch and he showed me how to replace my tires (and did most of the work) so I know what a giver he is.

If there is any help needed at all I would love to lend a hand as I know many others do also.

Hoping for a steady recovery.

Keith

Thanks for the update Cathy. Lynn and I are still praying for David. Like everyone has said, David has a caring group of members here and I am sure everyone who knows David is pulling for his quick recovery.It's good that you are getting a response from him and its great that he is at TIRR as far as recovery/rehap is concerned. If Lynn or I can do anything to help you please feel free to give us a call.

James

Thank you everyone for your prayers. They are working! Today was a great day. He said his first words in Speech Therapy...Hello and Leave me alone. Lol. Although he is not fully responsive, he is starting to wake up more everyday. Physical and Occupational Therapy has been working on movements and have him up a lot with the use of specialized mats and wheelchairs. Today he came off oxygen and pain meds. My dad finally responded for the Dr. when he came by this morning. The staff at TIRR is great and they are very excited about his progress. It is sure to be a long road.

I will try to keep everyone up to date. I am traveling back and forth from Corpus Christi. Keep the prayers coming!

-Shannon.

Also, our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the fires. I grew up in Magnolia. It's truly heartbreaking to watch.