IGNORED

fuel pump replacement

hope v7goose is on here. looked up replacement pumps and found the napa posi-flo part # 610-1050 but saw were it had 4-6.5 psi and thought that v7goose said its better to go with the factory spec at 3 psi and not dobule it. i did find a napa pump with part # 610-1051 whis has 3-4.5 psi so is this the better choice??? thanks for your answer.

Check e-bay or other sources like Jegs.

When I added an auxilary fuel tank to my trike I used one like this -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-BRAND-NEW-UNIVERSAL-12vol-/380359436544?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588f306900 or

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/42S/10002/-1

So far 2 years of trouble free use. I would deffinately stick with a fuel pump of lower pressure under 4psi.

Larry

hope v7goose is on here. looked up replacement pumps and found the napa posi-flo part # 610-1050 but saw were it had 4-6.5 psi and thought that v7goose said its better to go with the factory spec at 3 psi and not dobule it. i did find a napa pump with part # 610-1051 whis has 3-4.5 psi so is this the better choice??? thanks for your answer.

Yes, absolutely stay with the lower pressure pump. Too much pressure can cause higher fuel levels in the float bowls and damage to the float needle tip.

Thanx for pointing out I had the part number wrong in the tech library - I have updated it.

Goose

If anyone is interested... there is another forum (KTM cycles) where the owners have the same issues with fuel pumps that we do and part of it is because they run offroad with their bikes. And their stock pump is the same Mitsubishi pump Yamaha uses on our bikes. (In fact, it seems that this Mitsubishi pump is used on a lot of motorcycles.) The KTM owners have tried a lot of different pumps and found that they either have too much pressure or they have a short life span or they will let fuel bypass when they aren't running. They finally settled on a Facet 40171. It isn't as readily available as others but it seems to be the better choice. Here is one source... http://www.advmachines.com/product_p/fac_40171.htm

Here is some more info if anyone is interested. http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20Garage/Engine/fuel_pump/facet_40171/facet_40171_install.html

I have no idea what you were trying to show us in the videos. Your fuel pump was working, but it did not build up pressure from filling the carbs. If your pump is actually bad and not working sometimes, them maybe you just did not give it a chance to fill the carbs (there is an automatic timeout when the engine is not running, and it usually takes several cycles of the key to fully fill empty carbs). Otherwise, the most likely problem is clogged fuel filter. Other possible causes are open float valve, gas turned off, or dirty screens in the tank.

Goose

thanks for the info v7goose and i have no idea what i was trying to show myself,as far as the filter,gas being turned off,floats checked all of that but thats not to say that now one off them is whacked.i do believe the fuel pump is going out but only some of the time. seems like after the bike sets for a week or so(which dosent happen often) is when the problems shows its ugly head but sometimes it will do it at other times which is why after searching this topic out and my dealings with this problem leads me to think intermitted fuel pump. if i'm wrong which wouldnt be the first time i'm only out 50 bucks.if this dosent take care of the problem i will have to park it for a while until i can get someone who knows these things better than me and fix it. dont feel comfortable riding it with this going on. again thanks for all the help and suggestions, will follow up with the fix.