IGNORED

Need Info on Road Conditions

Danaman

I would appreciate if some of you could help with some info on the various highways as I am leaving on a trip on Saturday thru North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Utah and wherever from there. I would like to know if there are any problems with following roads, ie., closures, bad pavement, gravel sections. We are going via:

North Dakota highway #5 to #85 to Williston,ND

Out of Williston down #200 to Sydney

#16 out of Sydney to Glendive

I94 to Miles City

#59 to Broadus and onto to Gillette then to Wright

#387 out of Wright to I25 to Casper

Out of Casper to #220 to Muddy Gap

Then #287 to #28 and then down to #191 to Rock Springs and then onto Dutch John

Then wherever

I have looked on the various road condition reports but I thought it would be more accurate from fellow motorcyclists, especially when dealing with roads with gravel, etc.

Thanks

Dana

On the trip to Cody I did the same. There was no mention of all the road work we ran into. They are trying to stimulate the economy so I think that wherever you go you are going to run into roadwork. The up side is that wherever we went the flagers were sympathetic to the bikers and pulled us up to the front.

All I can really speak to directly is 85 south of Williston. We went through there on the way to Cody. Construction and heavy truck traffic due to the oil boom. No further than you're planning, it shouldn't be too bad. Just watch out for impatient locals in pickups passing where they probably shouldn't.

I think I would avoid 5 to Wiliston. I cant tell you if its good or not. But there has been heavy flooding in all areas of the Souris (Mouse) river in North Dakota. We came highway 2 all the way from Washington and its not bad. Crazy traffic around Wiliston because of the oil workers. Have a great trip.

Any reason in particular you wanna take ND 5? Flooding no longer an issue on ND 5. Lots of correction line changes of direction, not much to see either, watch your gas mileage since you will have to run from Noonan to Williston 81 miles with no gas stations (Crosby has gas but not on the highway) Bottineau and Mohall have gas stations right on the highway too. Noonan has a bar/restaurant that is popular with bikers and a good Mexican restaurant on Main Street. Watch for deer in the ditches, most roads have the shoulders cut of tall grass, white butterflies near canola fields are the worst I have ever seen, freaking millions of them....have a safe ride

There is about 5 miles on construction on hiway16 between glendive and sydney down to 2 lanes and about 2 miles of driving on hard pack clay surface, but no delays.

There is also some heavy construction between Belfry and Billings on 72 that was almost unpassable on a bike but youre not going that way so you should be ok.

brian

P.S. oil patch boom in ND/MT has made getting hotel rooms VERY difficult....Williston is likely out of the question for drop ins...phone ahead

He's way too late for that. Irene and I stayed in a camper while visiting there. We were told lodging was booked a year in advance. There are acres of pull-behind and drivable camper/rvs in neat rows serving as homes for the oil workers. Traffic was worse than a big city. These are folks who are used to small town life and have no experience with the massive congestion they now have.

If it wasn't for our grandson and his mom we wouldn't consider going back. The Teddy Roosevelt Parks at the south west corner of the State are well worth another visit. Williston is just a grudging pass-through.

He's way too late for that. Irene and I stayed in a camper while visiting there. We were told lodging was booked a year in advance. There are acres of pull-behind and drivable camper/rvs in neat rows serving as homes for the oil workers. Traffic was worse than a big city. These are folks who are used to small town life and have no experience with the massive congestion they now have.

If it wasn't for our grandson and his mom we wouldn't consider going back. The Teddy Roosevelt Parks at the south west corner of the State are well worth another visit. Williston is just a grudging pass-through.

Ya i know the feeling well, my small city of Estevan SK is part of this "wonderful" Baken oil boom...i wish they would all go away...way too much money being made by way too many people with way too little education/common sense for their own good. Chipped diesel trucks, Escalades and coke for everyone....its the oil patch way :(

Ya i know the feeling well, my small city of Estevan SK is part of this "wonderful" Baken oil boom...i wish they would all go away...way too much money being made by way too many people with way too little education/common sense for their own good. Chipped diesel trucks, Escalades and coke for everyone....its the oil patch way :(

Ahh that uncommon common sense. One lady whose skills are on par with a Wally World greeter was paid $30k for a trailer she paid $1k for a few years ago. Now she has a bunch of money that'll last fifteen minutes unless she leaves the area. (Woops. Didn't think of that.)