IGNORED

Now I know why it costs so much..

Just about finished with the deburring, sanding and polishing/buffing of the lower fork legs, the 4 beer cans and the lower tree. What a job!! Grinding all the casting marks off of the lower tree and lower fork legs, sanding with 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1500 paper. Its a hell of a lot of work, especially since I did most of the finish sanding by hand. No wonder shops charge what they do for polish or chrome work. Its a killer. All thats left to polish is the nooks and crannies on the legs and a final buff with white rouge. I used the tripoli rouge today along with a bench top buffer. The difference from the stock, grungy, pitted lower fork legs and now is night and day. Cant wait to get the final buff done. It looks like chrome already. Tomorrow, if im up to it, ill finish the final polish and then ill post some pics.

Also plan to polish up the front and rear floorboards and sand the chrome off of the pitted Barons fork bullet covers and buff them too. Maybe if im feeling energetic ill do the front wheel as well. Maybe even the R1 brake calipers too.

Just about finished with the deburring, sanding and polishing/buffing of the lower fork legs, the 4 beer cans and the lower tree. What a job!! Grinding all the casting marks off of the lower tree and lower fork legs, sanding with 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1500 paper. Its a hell of a lot of work, especially since I did most of the finish sanding by hand. No wonder shops charge what they do for polish or chrome work. Its a killer. All thats left to polish is the nooks and crannies on the legs and a final buff with white rouge. I used the tripoli rouge today along with a bench top buffer. The difference from the stock, grungy, pitted lower fork legs and now is night and day. Cant wait to get the final buff done. It looks like chrome already. Tomorrow, if im up to it, ill finish the final polish and then ill post some pics.

Also plan to polish up the front and rear floorboards and sand the chrome off of the pitted Barons fork bullet covers and buff them too. Maybe if im feeling energetic ill do the front wheel as well. Maybe even the R1 brake calipers too.

Sounds like a lot of hard work. I would bet they look wonderful.

:worthless:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

For a change consider powder coating the Barons ends.There is even a powder coat you can't tell from chrome.

It's called super chrome. I have had pieces done up in it on other bikes. Looks pretty good but you can still tell it's not the real thing but at half the cost , well.

Oh ya polishing those forks is a lotta work.

Larry

Ruffy cut back on the coffee will ya........

No, No, No Bubber... Leave him alone...

I have a purpose a good reason to let him be...and Ruffy is reading my mind.....:whistling:

I dont know Eck. Son in law has been eyeing the bike and since he has given me my first MAC computer and the gift card which allowed me to score some essential stuff from Northern tool I just may have to include him in the equation.

So, you see: Cash DOES pay the rent!!!:mo money::mo money::mo money:And I can be bought real cheep.....:smile5:

Ok, Ok, Ruffy...

Man what a Challenge..

How about never having to buy bike wax ever again or bike chrome polish, bike windshield cleaner, bike washing soap, or cleaning / drying rags???

Ok,.. dang your a tough cookie..

I'll even throw in a brand new 5 gallon pail to go with it...what a deal..

Hey you said you can be bought cheap.....

Finished up with the white rouge on the buffing wheel. Stuff looks great now. Just a whisper below chrome. I read where you can get a mirror finish using black india ink and a chamois. Thats my next step!!

I was going to take pics but I misplaced the camera. Ill have to look for it tomorrow. :smile5:

Finished up with the white rouge on the buffing wheel. Stuff looks great now. Just a whisper below chrome. I read where you can get a mirror finish using black india ink and a chamois. Thats my next step!!

I was going to take pics but I misplaced the camera. Ill have to look for it tomorrow. :smile5:

Aww man... 'lame excuse #43"

We want the pics!! ;)

Aww man... 'lame excuse #43"

We want the pics!! ;)

I found it buried behind the printer. Its charging up right now so ill post some pics tomorrow.

OK, took some pics but now my MAC wont support the cameras download program. I dont understand it. Its a Fuji camera and it worked before. I recently upgraded my OS to the MAC Lion system so that may have something to do with it. Ill have my son in law come over and try to install the program...so...until then...no pics.

YAY!! Eagerly awaiting the photos, like many others I'm guessing.. =)

Cant download any pics with this camera! Tried an updated program from Fuji but my OS wont recognize it. This really bites the big one.

Do you even need a program? I know that all the cameras come with various software but I never use it. I just plug the camera into my computer and it shows up as an external hard drive. I just copy the pictures and paste them into a folder on my hard drive. I seldom care for the software that they come with and don't even have any of it installed.

What Freebird said. Just plug it in to your mac and see if it shows up as an external drive and navigate to the pictures, copy and paste the .jpg files. Another option is remove the card from the camera and insert it in to your card reader. Copy and paste the files from the card. MACs being graphics oriented computers, I will assume it has a card reader. You can open a .jpg (JPEG) file if someone sends you one right?

Now quit stalling and post up some pics of the handywork.

RSTDdog

Gave it another shot by copying it to windows. Looks like it worked. Finished sanding and polishing the fork caps too. I knew I forgot to do something else..lol. IM real happy with the way it turned out. Looks like ill have some more parts to buff soon. Im just a baaaad mutha buffer!!!

Edited by Ruffy

That looks like way to much work for a Sunday afternoon......

What are you going to use to keep the aluminum from oxidizing?

First im going to finish it with a mixture of diluted black india ink, buffed to a brilliant shine and use some quality caranuba wax on it. According to some metal buffing forums, thats all you need. The forums say that stuff like Mothers chrome polish help promote oxidation and they really dont recommended it. Just a good polishing with the caranuba should do it every now and then.

That looks really nice!!! I have a midnight model and Yamaha just Chromes over the casting marks and flaws that you sanded out. The lower triple is still black, not polished like yours. Very Nice Job. That takes time and patience!

RSTDdog