IGNORED

2012 Cross Country Tour

Wolf

Yea, I was visiting a customer two weeks ago that has one of those. I sat on it and have to admit that it feels really good and looks great also. The price is a bit high for me though, especially considering that you are looking at about another $1,000.00 to add intercom and CB. I actually built one at the Victory site and it came to over $24,000.00 with the very few options that I felt I had to have. That did NOT include the CB/Intercom system so now it would be well over $25,000.00. Nice...but a bit out of my price range.

Then it is still an air cooled and belt driven bike. For some here, one or both of those details are a deal killer.

Hey All, road the Cross Country (XC on the Victory Forum), and was actually considering buying one. It has alot of power, and very smooth, almost like the RSV. Could not work out a deal for Trade In with my H-D,( low ball artist).

One of my Worries is the simple fact that within 125 Miles of me 3 of 5 Victory Dealers have gone out of Business. From what I read on the Victory Forum is the Warranty is different from Canada to USA, so if you bought your bike in the USA and happen to be in Canada, they Will Not fix it. Also, you Have to take a Victory back to the Dealer you bought it from for Repairs, other Dealers Will Not honor the Warranty. So at least with my H-D or RSV you can take your newer bike to any Dealer and they will Fix it under Warranty.

I did like the low center of gravity and it was quick. Nice bike, but Victory needs to work things out with their Dealers before I buy one. Later-

Ah yes it's all those little details that add up making the final out the door pricing as Don has noted. Also did anyone notice that the Cross Roads was 1k higher then the Vision.

As much as I want to see Yamaha's next generation of the Venture I also wonder how bad we'll be in sticker shock when they do. :shock3:

I do like the styling of the cross country except for that trunk.

And they really should have a shaft driven & water cooled engine for a touring bike, V-Twin or not.

Face it guys we do have about the best bike for the money on the market when considering all the stock features and the 5 year warranty even as dated as the 12 year old bike is.

Larry

Hey All, road the Cross Country (XC on the Victory Forum), and was actually considering buying one. It has alot of power, and very smooth, almost like the RSV. Could not work out a deal for Trade In with my H-D,( low ball artist).

One of my Worries is the simple fact that within 125 Miles of me 3 of 5 Victory Dealers have gone out of Business. From what I read on the Victory Forum is the Warranty is different from Canada to USA, so if you bought your bike in the USA and happen to be in Canada, they Will Not fix it. Also, you Have to take a Victory back to the Dealer you bought it from for Repairs, other Dealers Will Not honor the Warranty. So at least with my H-D or RSV you can take your newer bike to any Dealer and they will Fix it under Warranty.

I did like the low center of gravity and it was quick. Nice bike, but Victory needs to work things out with their Dealers before I buy one. Later-

I will research that again, but I am almost certain that there is a federal law that requires a dealer to work on a warranty issue regardless of where you purchased it, as long as it is under manufacturer warranty. In the U.S. anyway.

The Cross Country Tour has an oil cooler. It is not merely air cooled like a Harley. That sounds better to me than just plain-old air cooling, but I don't really know. It seems to me that it should mean that the rear and front cylinders are more evenly cooled than air cooing can do. What do y'all think?

I will research that again, but I am almost certain that there is a federal law that requires a dealer to work on a warranty issue regardless of where you purchased it, as long as it is under manufacturer warranty. In the U.S. anyway.

Yamaha hasnt honoured the warranty on items purchased in the US and brought into Canada ,.....ever! So I am thinking its up to the individual company to set their own rules on warranty. Anyone that buys a US bike can take it back into the US for warranty but in Canada the dealers wont do the work under warranty.

Brian

If it is anything like the Victory Vision, there is really no room for the passenger. That was a huge killer in the deal, if the passenger (wife) ain't happy, then I am not buying it. On the Vision, almost 3 inches difference from passenger back rest to my back between the RSV and Vision.

Appreciate the Great People on this site, even when they poke fun it is all in good humor. On the Victory Site, no humor, even the Administrator is a azzhole, it reminds me of a bunch of old school Harley Riders where anything but their bike and opinion does not count.

The Cross Country is a nice bike, one guy on their said that on the highway the bike has a buzzing sound from the fairing. Took a five mile ride on one but they sent a chaperone with me, he realized he better just keep up, but not far enough to notice a buzzing sound. 2nd gear did seem a bit chunky, slow start, but then it moves out. Did like the gauges, but it was missing a 8-Track or Cassette Player. Later-

If it is anything like the Victory Vision, there is really no room for the passenger. That was a huge killer in the deal, if the passenger (wife) ain't happy, then I am not buying it. On the Vision, almost 3 inches difference from passenger back rest to my back between the RSV and Vision.

Haven't looked much of late at new bikes but the wife says the same thing about the RSV's generous passenger room compared to other models. The last bike we sat on was a Can-Am. Nope don't even think of it she says.

Larry

After having two RSVs and then a Wing and now riding a Cross Country I think I am qualified to comment on most of what you all have said about the bike. I imagine your first question to me is why not a third RSV ? Well, I am one of those people that thinks the RSV is the most comfortable and able touring bike on the market but I also thought it was the most outdated. After my crash on the 06 I was sure I wanted some of the new stuff, especially ABS. I was very happy with my 08 airbagger Wing except for the riding position, which I knew about and was getting used to. After I got hit on the Wing I was ready to go back to another Wing but couldn't get the deal I wanted. Then I test rode the Cross country (XC).

The XC has the seating position like the RSV but slightly more stretched out. One of the things I always liked about the RSV is that the speedo was up high compared to most other bikes, especially the HDs. The XC is the same way---guages up high and very easy to read. And the digital display for the radio is so much easier to read than the Vision. As for the smoothness, I will say it's as smooth as the RSV at cruising speeds, and mine does NOT buzz or make any noise. And I don't feel any vibration in the bars either. Mirros are clear but I do miss the mirrors on the Wing. On my XC (2011) there is a resounding "clunk" going into first and second gear but that just tells me it's a positive shift---my way of dealing with it. I was told that this has been fixed on the 2012. Power is smooth and ever present right up through the gears. I don't think I have ever had mine over 4 grand. I have the stage one pipes and airbox and mapping and I have never wanted for lack of power. It aint no Wing twsiting the throttle at 70mph but i don't think an RSV will run away from it.

One thing it doesn't have is rearend nosie, whining or the jacking effect on acceleration. The belt drive is smooth and quiet. It has a large rear tire and I have over 7k miles and the tire looks new. Engine heat is no worse than the RSV and a lot better than the Wing. I live in Biloxi and it is damn hot here right now and although it gets warm at a long light it's not unbearable. But it's an air/oil cooled engine---it's supposed to get hot.

Sit on this bike and your first impression is whoa---this thing is low !! Then pull it off sidestand and you'll immediately feel how light and low the weight is. Run it through the twisties and you'll be even more impressed. I am NOT an aggressive twistie rider---I am not that good. But I have no problem running with others on the XC. On a recent ride with a bunch of RSVs I was actually having fun and had no problems keeping up.

The new XC Tour has a couple of things my bike doesn't have, but these are the very things I mentioned I would like to have in my new owner survey from Victory, like ABS, lowers, and heated grips and seat. And it has the quick release trunk wired with a brake light and speakers. By the way you can add the intercom and CB for LESS than a grand. The stereo is top notch. I can't comment on passenger room because I haven't ridden two up but I did add a backrest to mine. If you look at the pictures on the Victory site the passneger looks like she has plenty of room. But then she and the driver are both skinny---could be deceptive.

Sorry for the long writeup but I just wanted to set you straight on some of your concerns. My only reget in getting the XC is that I couldn't get the Tour model. I will add the CB and the trunk one of these days, and maybe even the lowers, but I dearly love my XC just as it sits. I did add a taller windshield (stock on the Tour)and the lower fork air deflectors (like on the RSV)to reduce the wind and buffeting, and they do a great job. Victory DID listen to what people like me said about the XC. That's why they made the Tour model. And as far as price it's still cheaper than the Wing. One last thing--about the dealers, I was told by my dealer that I could take my bike to ANY dealer for repair and/or warranty work, in the continental US. Yes, Canada is different but they are also different for the Goldwing. Sorry I won't be able to make Vogel this year. I was really hoping to show off my new bike. But go to the Victory dealer and test ride one. You won't be dissapointed.

Well we have a cross country in our stable, there are no heat issues(in fact there is more heat off my tour deluxe). It has been featured in several magazines and has beaten the competition (HD, Strat, Venture, Kawi Voyager and Vaquero)hands down. The cb on the tourer is accessory, but it comes with several options. You can also buy a Cross Country and build to suit. It is in fact air and oil Cooled.. Now that all being said it is my Wifes Bike. if you are in or near Illinois Randy's Cycle in Marengo or Integ Motorsports in East Peoria Illinois( ask for Will). Both of the Victory Dealerships are very professional and will treat you right. You would be suprised that the Victory has about the same tone as the Tourdeluxe with oem pipes.. One thing we enjoy about victory is they have a yearly event at the factory and they allow you to test ride(not many dealerships to that anymore).