IGNORED

Gonna have to watch this one!

Yammer Dan

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the standard mix for mortar? 3 sand 1 cement? I think. I could finish foundation but can't handle pouring 9 yrds.+ concrete.

Here is your mix info.

9 yards would be a lot for even a pro working alone.

It sounds like time for a M & B & E.

On second thought it might be cheaper to hire someone vs feeding all of us.......:whistling:

If I was closer I'd come on down to give you a hand!

Why not arrange a "grub and grow" or a "beer and build" or ???????

Whatever.

Set a date, have the materials and a PLAN and invite everybody for a building bee.

Once the foundation and pad is done, with good organization, you could have it finished including interior work, in a weekend.

I'm thinking over the block. I can get 9 yrds per truck and would like to keep it close. 3 inches thick should be enough but I want to go 4. That puts me close to 9 yrds I think. Pad will be 18 x 40 ft. Have some extras I would like to do but they might have to wait.

I'm thinking over the block. I can get 9 yrds per truck and would like to keep it close. 3 inches thick should be enough but I want to go 4. That puts me close to 9 yrds I think. Pad will be 18 x 40 ft. Have some extras I would like to do but they might have to wait.

This site will figure the amount needed - http://www.westrocinc.com/Tips/Figure_Concrete/figure_concrete.html

9 yards will be cutting it close but should be enough as long as you stay under 4" thick.

Time to set up a work party Dan.

Larry

Yup 18'x40'x4" = 8.8 yds

That is right but you have to consider yield in concrete. I have (as a bridge superintendent) placed over 2,000,000 cubic yards of concrete and it is never perfect. My suggestion is to grade the slab area to 3.5 inches. There will be some settlement and it should yield 9 cy. And if there is some left over...use it for pads and steps. Just have some other things formed up and ready for concrete in case there is extra. Keep me posted about a time you want to do this and I will try to make it. I have the tools for the finish and the forming.

I would love to help out Yammer Dan from this mess.

:farmer:

I have a bit of work before slab can be poured. Footers are not square and proper size. I didn't follow him around with a tape measure but I should have. Had to be pretty close on size of pad and footers don't quite make it. Going to have to scratch my head a little on this one. I haven't done this type of work in 40 years.

I'm going to start trying to remember the steps to complete this mess. Got saw blades to cut block. Got laser level. Got a Pick um up to haul things in. I think i can finish foundation but not going to try to pour 18' x 40' pad by myself.

I am only 330 miles away. I think we could get a few other fellows to help. Keep us posted.

:farmer:

Couldn't be done in a day. Block has to be laid and given time to set before pouring pad. I'm going to start on it I think. Contractor owes me 21 bags of mortar mix. May as well count it gone I guess. He may be going to court. I paid him more than he did. Don't know how to file that but I'm going to find out.

Sad to say Dan, but if you don't have anything in writing I"m sure you will be completely out of luck.

Your word against his etc.

As much as it hurts, you will have to kiss your money goodbye and move on.

Unfortunately I agree, cash payments never happened.