You don't have to take the lines off. With the slave loose and just hanging (a pain in itself!) the clutch push rod comes right out. To get the seal out I tried a screwdriver and dental pics to no avail, I was afraid of scarring the case so I borrowed a tool from a friend that looks like a 10" long tapered allen with a short 90 degree angle on the thin end (the tool, not my friend!:rotf:). I called it his nose picker!

If you go to FlatOut and go to the clutch, #24 is the oil seal. It's a rubber seal with, like a metal insert and spring. I looked it up on the 91 schematic, it's the same as the 86.

Here are a couple of pictures. I don't know how to put all those fancy arrows and circles on them, but the first shows the middle gear for reference and the second shows a closer view of the seal. It is the lower of the two round holes. This is after I have been digging at it and you can see the metal of the seal. The upper hole is for the slave cyl. bolt.

I didn't have a correct size socket handy to press it in with (too lazy to get up off the floor and grab one!) so I just gently persuaded it with a punch around the edges until it was seated. I now have about 3k miles with a "non-smoker"!

(Before I fixed it I went to Dragonrider's. He said he saw me pull up, but then I disappeared in a cloud of smoke!)

Hope this helps, Jack!

Thanks for the Pics Todd. They will help.... Doncha love dem smoke screens........:rotf::rotf:

Somewhat related question:

What (if anything) do you recommend coating gaskets with before sealing things back up?

I used something that my friend brought. I think it was called SylGlide, but that might have been for something else?! :confused24: Sorry I can't recall for sure.

Of all the things I have lost, it's the my mind I miss the most! :confused07:

Somewhat related question:

What (if anything) do you recommend coating gaskets with before sealing things back up?

Depends on if you want to change the gasket every time you open something up, waterpump excluded (due to sealer on gasket). I normally just grease the gaskets before installing, easily stays in place during install, no leaks & non stick.