IGNORED

Fuel Pump??

Truth be Told, you do not even NEED the extra piece of hose - that just makes it a little more simple. If you don't have it, just pull the stock fuel line off the top of the fuel filter and connect it straight to the carbs.

Goose

You are absolutely right again Goose. That's the way I did mine when it quit. I mention the extra piece of hose for all those that don't want to have to figure out what to disconnect if it suddenly breaks down on the highway . Some of our folks on here may not be quite as mechanically saavy as others. I did forget to mention about disabiling the fuel pump just in case it decides to start up again. Good point to whoever caught that!! As far as the gravity feed, I rode about 100 miles to the dealer at 60-75 mph(some of it Interstate) and it never missed a lick. I even thought to myself on the way, "If this thing would run this good all the way down to empty, I wouldn't even bother with a fuel pump!!"

It runs perfectly on gravity feed; no starving at any speed. I do suggest keeping the tank over 1/4 full just to keep up a little head pressure. I think the main reason we have a fuel pump is simply because the carb input is VERY close to the bottom of the tank, so you would have a problem trying to use all the gas.

To set this up, you always want to either use a new piece of fuel line from the tank to the carbs, or remove the existing line from the TOP of the fuel filter (so you do not have a filter in-line). It would still work fine with a clean filter, but many people who have a bad fuel pump probably have a clogged filter too, so that would not be good for gravity feed!

Goose

That is very good to know! Thanks.

Reminds me, I need to put in a new fuel filter.

Patrick

well nothing like beating a dead horse so here it goes,had this problem 6-8 months ago took it to the dealer(06 model)and they said no problems. took it back and they said they didnt do anything to it but gave me a 6 month warrenty on anything relating to a fuel issue. it was after that that i heard my fuel pump clicking for the first time.well on my last meet and eat it stalled out on me right after fueling,pushed it to the side and in a few minutes could hear it click and all was fine.started it today and fueled it up for my trip tomorrow and heard it cliking rode it 2.3 miles and fueled it up,went to start it and no clicking.went up the interstate 12 miles at speeds of 95-100 and than pulled a hill with no problems. got back home pulled the side cover(burned the hel_ out of two fingures)went to start it and no clicking,hit it with a rubber mallet and than a small hammer,nothing.moved the wires around and still nothing.

In general, you should not hear the fuel pump unless the bike has been sitting for over a day (often several days). Until enough fuel evaporates from the carb bowls to take the pressure off the line, the fuel pump will not run before the engine is started. If you regularly hear even a single click after the engine has only been shut off for a few minutes, that means you have a problem with the fuel supply - probably dirty fuel filter.

The only SURE test to always hear the fuel pump click is to either pull the fuel line off the carb input or open one of the carb drains.

Goose

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, you have a fuel pump issue (slight possibility it is the relay, but makes no difference, the pump is not running; therefore, you have a fuel pump issue). In this situation, you can often get the pump running again (for a while) simply by taking off the left battery cover and rapping it a couple of times with a screwdriver handle.

Take it in under warranty and make sure they do a proper writeup that includes mention of intermittent no fuel pump noise after the bike sits for several days. Then, even if they cannot find it and won't replace the pump now under warranty, they will be forced to do so at any future time that you have a total failure, even after the warranty is over.

And if they do not fix it right now, stop by an auto parts store and buy a 3' length of fuel line and carry it in the bike. Then if the pump ever stops where you don't have any other transportation, you can simply run it from the tank to the carb input and run on gravity feed so you won't be stranded.

Goose

I have an 07 RSTD and my bike quit on me the other day. I had been riding for about 45 minutes and all of a sudden, it stopped as if it was out of gas. The engine would turn over but would not start. Had it towed to a dealer. They pulled it in to work on it the next day and it started right up. They are presently trying to get it to do it again but have been successful. Would you lean toward getting a new fuel pump and filter, to be safe, while it is still under warranty? I have 43,000 on it since I bought it new in 07. I have had no problems with it until now. Thanks, Kyle Duncan

I have an 07 RSTD and my bike quit on me the other day. I had been riding for about 45 minutes and all of a sudden, it stopped as if it was out of gas. The engine would turn over but would not start. Had it towed to a dealer. They pulled it in to work on it the next day and it started right up. They are presently trying to get it to do it again but have been successful. Would you lean toward getting a new fuel pump and filter, to be safe, while it is still under warranty? I have 43,000 on it since I bought it new in 07. I have had no problems with it until now. Thanks, Kyle Duncan

This is quite similar to what happened to me a couple of years ago on my 2006.. It would die and then would restart ok.. but it would quit at the odd time.. slow speeds, highway speeds.. and not often.. nothing you could sort out on the side of the road. Unfortunately it finally died while on a road trip. A bit of a story behind it though..

1st dealer I took it to after restarting the bike, tested the fuel pump and couldn't find anything amiss with the bike.. Hmmm Ok So off we go from his parking lot but just as the bike was idling while I was dressing up, it shut down again and this time nothing would get it to start.. They pulled it back into the shop and did a bunch more tests and ended up changing just about everything on the bike, new coils, ignition module, filters, spark plugs etc etc.. never bothered looking at the pump again because hey, it worked the day before when they did their trouble shooting.. But after 5 days, we had to throw in the cards and take the bike to another dealer in another city.. bummer. But the tech there found the pump being dead after only 30 minutes of getting there and luckily enough, they took a new pump off a 2009 show floor model and put it in my bike.. and it's been super duper ever since.

What the second tech told me was that the contacts on the pump were shot, burnt out etc.. when ever the bike had quit before, it could have been either heat or a bump that broke the contact and caused the pump to quit.. then when things cooled down, the contact would be made again and pump would work until that day at the first dealer when it finally died for good.. Had the pump failed completely, it would have been a quick find and a quick fix.. but because it was behaving the way it did, the pump led them on a wild goose chase.. Lucky for me that the bike was still under warranty (it being a US bike traveling in the USA) that I ended up with a lot of brand new parts at no cost..

The bike shop in State College PA were super stand up people and wow, super impressed that they would rob a pump from a show floor model instead of making me wait for a new one to be delivered.. Aces to them!

And I attribute the pump failing prematurely like that due to a clogged fuel filter I had to deal with before. I believe the filter was so clogged it caused the pump to over work and lead to it's early failure later on.. over worked, over heated, died..

In YOUR case, the fuel filter should be changed every year anyway.. They should be able to look at the contact points on the fuel pump to see if there is any discrepancies there.. Not sure what a new pump is but they should be changing it under warranty.. but they need to see it fail in order to justify it's replacement.. that's the system unfortunately...

Best of luck!

These pumps, at least on the 06 RSV, are solenoid pumps so there are no brushes. There are a pair of plunger activated contacts on the end of the pump that are accessible by removing one screw. Cleaning these contacts may help, but don't count on it. Cleaning mine made no improvement in the intermittent failure.

IMHO; the best course of action is to replace the pump with the Mr Gasket model 42-S or equivalent pump.

Agree.

My bike has around 54 k on it.

So, I bought one of those and have it and some hose in my saddlebag as a just in case.

I also have a copy of the ignition switch bypass procedure as another just incase.

I got some other "just in case" stuff (called Charmin) in there. You know, just in case...