IGNORED

Charging system not working - time to rip the bike apart

Make sure when you get the Buckeye stator that you seal both the inside and outside of the block that the 3 phase wires come through the case. I have had 2 Buckeye stators that seeped through where the wires pulled through the block. I used RTV and it's way easier to do when it's virgin and has no oil on it...

:2cents:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Flyinfool.

I honestly don't know how to repay you guys for your hand-holding with helping me..

I will see if I can get some time to open those side covers tonight. I will take some pictures if anything looks a-miss.

I am getting a little riding in though, my girlfriend is taking me around town for coffee on the back of her Yamaha Vino scooter. Is it bad of me to admit that I actually am enjoying being a passenger even though its slightly embarrassing? I think that she likes it though.

Oh that,s just another advantage of a full face helmet........:stickpoke::confused24:

I think the full face helmet would have saved me some shame when she pulled right into the middle of a pack of Harleys and Harley owners at the Starbucks. Although I think they were more genuinely curious of the Vino, like it was some kind of strange animal that we were sitting on. Maybe I can put some Road King pipes on it or something...

Thanks for the tips on sealing the wires to prevent the oil leaks. I am a little worried about that, but I will be extra cautious to do it right.

Well I thought I'd give a bit of an update. Due to the Canada Post strike, Buckeye Performance cannot ship my new stator until the strike is over. Just perfect, now I have to wait even longer (hopefully not the entire summer!).

So I decided that since my bike is mostly taken apart and I have quite a bit of dead time, I'm going to do the valve shim maintenance. I ordered the head cover gaskets ($35 each) but when I asked about the Valve Tool they said that a new one will cost $165! Believe that! Fortunately I spoke to one of the mechanics in the back, who is a Yamaha expert, who told me that he had a spare valve tool that he would sell me for cash. So $50 cash and now I'm a happy camper. They also have a box of 25mm shims, so I just bring in my old ones and they will just swap them for the different sizes. Not bad!

I think I'm going to have a new bike once,, if, it all gets back together..

you can take heat shrink tubing and put it on the wires where they come through the block...this makes a snug fit....use the sealant also as stated before...i've had no seepage or leaks .....you could probably remove the cloth covering where you put the heat shrink tubing and that would prevent any wicking...

Well I thought I'd give a bit of an update. Due to the Canada Post strike, Buckeye Performance cannot ship my new stator until the strike is over. Just perfect, now I have to wait even longer (hopefully not the entire summer!).

So I decided that since my bike is mostly taken apart and I have quite a bit of dead time, I'm going to do the valve shim maintenance. I ordered the head cover gaskets ($35 each) but when I asked about the Valve Tool they said that a new one will cost $165! Believe that! Fortunately I spoke to one of the mechanics in the back, who is a Yamaha expert, who told me that he had a spare valve tool that he would sell me for cash. So $50 cash and now I'm a happy camper. They also have a box of 25mm shims, so I just bring in my old ones and they will just swap them for the different sizes. Not bad!

I think I'm going to have a new bike once,, if, it all gets back together..

Have you called RMStator to see if they have anything that would work? I would HATE my bike being down because of a postal strike. They are located in Canada, maybe some members could do a "relay" and get it to you.

https://www.rmstator.com/en/index.htm

Have you called RMStator to see if they have anything that would work? I would HATE my bike being down because of a postal strike. They are located in Canada, maybe some members could do a "relay" and get it to you.

https://www.rmstator.com/en/index.htm

Postal LOCKOUT, not STRIKE will be over by Monday anyway once our Government gets through legislating an end to it. I could comment on the morality of it, but that would be politics, and, in the current Canadian context, pointless.

• 1 month later...

Okay, well if you can believe it I finally got my high output stator from Buckeye Performance. They did not have any in stock when I placed my order Mid-June. They were claiming electrical storms knocked out their operation. They shipped my stator on July 8th. Then the nightmare happened, Canada Post lost my order. After much fussing and fighting and listening to Canada Post consistently tell me that "we can't do anything, we're sorry" even though the package was in their possession, I finally got my package on August 6th.

I finally cracked open the side cover and found that 3 of the coils on the original stator were charred black. One of the leads coming from the wire harness was black. So with the new stator installed the problem is now fixed. I am getting a running voltage of 13.7 ~ 13.9 VDC. I am very happy and relieved.

On a side note, the instructions found in the tech library on stator removal/replacement aren't too clear. Unless if you are Houdini you need to unbolt the muffler from the engine to allow wiggle room to get the side cover off. There was no mention of that in the instructions.

Other than that I used the Colortune set that I got to adjust the pilot mixture screws on the carbs. That was not as straight forward as I thought it would have been. One of the cylinders is at the correct setting (Bunsen burner blue) with the screw almost completely tightened. I guess I will have to keep an eye on that plug.

I just have to install the new air horns and reassemble the rest of the bike and I'm ready to enjoy the rest of the season that I almost entirely missed!

Thanks for the help everyone!:)