IGNORED

Another trailer Queen question

Bubber

I know this is an odd question to be asking but: Does anyone have pictures of how and where they hooked their straps to the Venture when hauling it on a trailer. :ignore: :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Yes I know it ain't no stinking Harley. LOL Just kidding guys, I have owned Harleys too. :stickpoke:

Any way I would like to see, so I can put some I-bolts in the appropriate places on my trailer.

Bubber

I know this is an odd question to be asking but: Does anyone have pictures of how and where they hooked their straps to the Venture when hauling it on a trailer. :ignore: :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Yes I know it ain't no stinking Harley. LOL Just kidding guys, I have owned Harleys too. :stickpoke:

Any way I would like to see, so I can put some I-bolts in the appropriate places on my trailer.

Bubber

Hey Bubber!

You must be gettin' really really old:backinmyday: if your gonna start trailerin' your bike instead of ridin' it!:rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot::stirthepot:

You must be gettin' really really old:backinmyday:

What do you mean, "gettin" old???? You met him???????

He's just trying to be like his hero--------OWL:080402gudl_prv:

Bubber, you never know what you might be hauling, put them all over the place, just in case.

Steve

You must be gettin' really really old:backinmyday:

What do you mean, "gettin" old???? You met him???????

He's just trying to be like his hero--------OWL:080402gudl_prv:

Bubber, you never know what you might be hauling, put them all over the place, just in case.

Steve

Yes, my wife and I had the pleasure of having dinner with Bubber a couple of years ago, but he was much younger then as he was pulling a trailer with his RSV. Now, sadly, it appears that he has aged so much that he has to trailer his RSV instead of riding it. I hear that working those QC jobs really age a guy...:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

So now that we have all had a good laugh at your expense(and well worth it I might add) when I have to trailer mine I found I could put soft tie straps or seperate soft ties around the lower tripple tree with one one behind the fork and the othe in front and the rear strap soft tied around the passenger floor board mount.No pictures ,sorry.Maybe later today if I get a chance.

I go with Eagleeye tho put those eyebolts everywhere.

You guys were no help except for Monty and Pegasus1300. LOL

I am not old !!!!!! Just have some major life experiences? You guys should talk. Your looking backwards in your rearview mirror at 50 all of you. :whistling: Owl is the real old one!

I am only thinking of trailering the bike because the wife says she can't ride all the way to Cody on the back of a bike. so there. She told me that once when I went to Denver and I told her I am really going to miss ya! Thats when the fight started.

Note to self..... I may need a girlfriend to ride with. NO DON"T DO THAT!!!!!!! :ignore:

I should know better at my age. Cancel note to self!!!!

Bubber :sign yeah that:

You guys were no help except for Monty and Pegasus1300. LOL

I am not old !!!!!! Just have some major life experiences? You guys should talk. Your looking backwards in your rearview mirror at 50 all of you. :whistling: Owl is the real old one!

I am only thinking of trailering the bike because the wife says she can't ride all the way to Cody on the back of a bike. so there. She told me that once when I went to Denver and I told her I am really going to miss ya! Thats when the fight started.

Note to self..... I may need a girlfriend to ride with. NO DON"T DO THAT!!!!!!! :ignore:

I should know better at my age. Cancel note to self!!!!

Bubber :sign yeah that:

Sure, Bubber, blame it on your wife...:no-no-no::whistling:

You can leave your car/trailer at our house if you want. We're just a few miles north of I-90. It's 5-6 hour ride from here to Cody.

Guest tx2sturgis

I havent seen your trailer but I would recommend 4 eyebolts along each side, and some kind of wheel chock that holds the front wheel steady, with some nearby eyebolts for that.

Using MORE tiedowns is always better than using fewer....it spreads the stresses out along several points rather than a few. Avoid hooking up to the handlebars, the forks or triple tree, or the saddlebag trim rails if you have them.

You want the bike to be able to compress on its own during bumps, not ride rigidly tied down, (suspension fully compressed) which can damage things.

You might consider roperings (D-rings) instead of eyebolts...they fold down out of the way, and if secured with grade 8 bolts are much stronger than eyebolts, which can open slightly under 'shock loading'.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/332341_lg.jpg

Edited by tx2sturgis

I always tie it down by the handle bars and the rear crash bars. Put the bike in the trailer. then look at where to put your eyebolts so that you clear the fairings in the front and your not pulling to much forward or backward. The rear crash bars you can really latch the bike down with. I also don't like leaving it in gear on the trailer so I make some wheel chocks outta 4x4's and screw them into the floor of the trailer once the bike is in place. One in front of the rear wheel and one in back of the front wheel usually does the trick.

Sure now you guys are helpfull !!!!! LMFAO

OB-1, I may have to take you up on that depending on what the Boss is doing.

BuddyRich, I do have a choke that I got from a guy at work but I like the idea of blocking the back wheel too, Thanks!

Ya more is better than less too!

So now that we have all had a good laugh at your expense(and well worth it I might add) when I have to trailer mine I found I could put soft tie straps or seperate soft ties around the lower tripple tree with one one behind the fork and the othe in front and the rear strap soft tied around the passenger floor board mount.No pictures ,sorry.Maybe later today if I get a chance.

I go with Eagleeye tho put those eyebolts everywhere.

The few times I have hauled my bike...I did it like above. Loop the soft ties over the bottom of the steering tripple tree...to me this gives you some height for better stability side to side. I pull these on the front forward then put a soft tie around the passenger floor board mount and pull it backwards and to the side. Either way is good practice... We don't want to scratch them bikes hauling them.

Firstly .... Loading a bike on a trailer, while very easy, is nerve-wracking and you ALWAYS feel it will break loose and something bad will happen.

The reality is that they don't break loose, and they hardly budge an inch if you do it properly.

Partly it depends on the type of trailer. Enclosed is a bit different to open.

You need to stop the front wheel sliding sideways. A proper wheel chock, screwed down is best (the sideways pressure is small) Failing that, a couple of short lengths of 2 x 4 screwed to the trailer floor will keep the front wheel still.

My trailer has an open frame, so I can strap the front wheel hard against the front rail which stops any rearward movement.

Four ratchet straps complete the process. One from each side of the triple tree and one from each of the rear frame or pannier mounts.

Just ratchet them down until the suspension is very lightly compressed. That bike isn't moving.

Again, with an open frame trailer there are plenty of attachment points, but an enclosed one would need tie-downs.

Hope this helps.

ps I bought a very nice open trailer with a four foot loading ramp and 3500lb axle for $1000, brand new. Trailer is 10 x 7 and could easily carry two VRs

...OB-1, I may have to take you up on that depending on what the Boss is doing...

At least if ya left the car an trailer at my house you could pretend you rode all the way to Cody.:stirthepot: A 5-6 hour ride ought to be enough to wear out you're old hide so everyone there would think you made the whole ride on the bike. :rotf::rotf::rotf: Of course I'd never tell anyone that you trailered the bike to my house...:whistling:

At least if ya left the car an trailer at my house you could pretend you rode all the way to Cody.:stirthepot: A 5-6 hour ride ought to be enough to wear out you're old hide so everyone there would think you made the whole ride on the bike. :rotf::rotf::rotf: Of course I'd never tell anyone that you trailered the bike to my house...:whistling:

Ya thanks for keeping that a big secret!

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

A 5-6 hour ride ought to be enough to wear out you're old hide so everyone there would think you made the whole ride on the bike.

If Bubber ever gets to the OLD Hooter's low standards, 50 to 60 minutes will totally wear him out......

:stickpoke: :stirthepot:

OK !!! OK !!!!

I sold the trailer and the wife, the dog, the cat, and the gold fish, and will be riding every where I go from now on.

I didn't know you were going to lump me in with the OWL. WOW how do I live that down?:rotf::rotf::rotf:

I am going to go lay down by my bowl now and contemplate why I posted this to begin with. :ignore::ignore::ignore:

What the heck was I thinking? :crying::crying:

It's to early to start drinking ?? Isn't it ?????

OK !!! OK !!!!

I sold the trailer and the wife, the dog, the cat, and the gold fish, and will be riding every where I go from now on.

I didn't know you were going to lump me in with the OWL. WOW how do I live that down?:rotf::rotf::rotf:

I am going to go lay down by my bowl now and contemplate why I posted this to begin with. :ignore::ignore::ignore:

What the heck was I thinking? :crying::crying:

It's to early to start drinking ?? Isn't it ?????

Gettin' kinda whiny in your old age, ain't ya? :rotf::rotf::rotf:

I guess we'll need to feed ya a steak dinner if ya get this far just to keep the whining to a minimum...:stickinouttounge:

Gettin' kinda whiny in your old age, ain't ya? :rotf::rotf::rotf:

I guess we'll need to feed ya a steak dinner if ya get this far just to keep the whining to a minimum...:stickinouttounge:

OH YA! Thats what I'm talking about. Count me in! :missingtooth:

Steak on the Bar-B-Q

Thats not whining thats purring....like a little kitten. :rotf::rotf::rotf::banana::banana::banana:

OH YA! Thats what I'm talking about. Count me in! :missingtooth:

Steak on the Bar-B-Q

Thats not whining thats purring....like a little kitten. :rotf::rotf::rotf::banana::banana::banana:

Now if you can only get here... :080402gudl_prv::rotf::rotf::rotf: