IGNORED

Dealer lost part

aharbi

Dang! I hate going to the dealer. Took my rear wheel to the dealer to mount a new tire. Went to put the wheel on today only to find out the hub is missing the bearing collar. Dang! I hate going to the dealer. Also noticed a bunch of new weights, 8 of them on the rim to balance the new tire. Hummm... don't suppose they tried to balance the tire without the bearing collar do you? Dang! I hate going to the dealer. The collar is only like $9.00 but I have a 4 day ride planned and I doubt I can get one in time for the ride. Of course the dealer is closed Monday, don't suppose they are smart enough to find it on the floor and say ooops we forgot someones bearing collar. Dang! I hate going to the dealer. Or do they just trash all the "missing parts" left on the shop floor. Dang! I hate going to the dealer, you just can't trust them to do anything right. The reason I brought just the wheel was so I could grease my own splines and NOT strip out my mufflers nor saddlebag bolts like they did the last time. Dang! I hate going to the dealer.

dang, that sukz !

So, is it necessary to have the bearing collar in order to balance the wheel?? I ask because I never took my bearing collars (front or rear) to the shop when I had new tires mounted and balanced.

I never have mine balanced with the collar and it has not seemed to make a difference. I would not be happy with a tire that required that much weight and I would question whether or not it was balanced correctly. What kind of tire is it? Most tires have a dot that should be lined up with the valve stem. Avon is the only exception I think.

Yep,,, keep the collar at home when you bring the tire in. Wizard765 lost his as well this spring when the tire got changed,,, but we found it under the tire changer thingie. You should not be bringing any loose parts to them for them to lose.

Maybe take that tire back and have them give it turn on the rim,,,, often changes the balance.

I never have mine balanced with the collar and it has not seemed to make a difference. I would not be happy with a tire that required that much weight and I would question whether or not it was balanced correctly. What kind of tire is it? Most tires have a dot that should be lined up with the valve stem. Avon is the only exception I think.

Avon Venom

I took my rear tire and wheel to get the tire replaced, when I got it back there was a bunch of weight on the rim(glue on type wt.) Turned out the dealer didn't remove the original weight that came from the factory You might want to see f the original weight is still on opposite the new weights.

I changed my own tires (Avon Venom) and then took to a Harley mechanic with a digital balancer. He charged a very little to balance both wheels and they only had a couple small weights on them. Run perfect, after a small break in ride to town, I had her up to 110 mph on the interstate with no other traffic, and smooth as silk. Love those Avons. Like riding a different bike. The Avons really handle well in the rain/water puddles also. I have 8,300 miles on them and they are still in pretty good shape.

My friend JD changed his tires at the same time on his Harley RK. He put on Dunlap Tires and we checked them Saturday. His is showing more wear with fewer miles. He is not an aggressive rider either. :backinmyday:

Fuzzy

I'm not sure. I never take the collar with me. I agree with Twigg, it's a light weight piece right around the axle and is just not going to affect the balance. I know that one year at Maintenance Day, Sleephawk took his wheel to have a tire mounted and we ended up going back to find the collar. Luckily it was laying on the floor beside the changer. They fall out pretty easily and I just take it out before taking my wheel to the shop so that I don't lose it somewhere.

I'll be calling a dealer tomorrow myself. My principal dealer went tit's up with Yamaha. Local Honda dealer took over the franchise and I will not spend one penny with them due to past experience. Yamaha sent my parts to another dealer for warranty work to replace rear shock and fix tiny oil leak. Came home to find out that the dummy bolt of the battery cover and rear brake inspection cover are missing. :soapbox:

BEER30

I'll be calling a dealer tomorrow myself. My principal dealer went tit's up with Yamaha. Local Honda dealer took over the franchise and I will not spend one penny with them due to past experience. Yamaha sent my parts to another dealer for warranty work to replace rear shock and fix tiny oil leak. Came home to find out that the dummy bolt of the battery cover and rear brake inspection cover are missing. :soapbox:

BEER30

and did you do a dummy spit ? :rasberry:

I'm not sure. I never take the collar with me. I agree with Twigg, it's a light weight piece right around the axle and is just not going to affect the balance. I know that one year at Maintenance Day, Sleephawk took his wheel to have a tire mounted and we ended up going back to find the collar. Luckily it was laying on the floor beside the changer. They fall out pretty easily and I just take it out before taking my wheel to the shop so that I don't lose it somewhere.

Yep... Ditto. Never happened again.... :)

Well first thing this morning I put my wheel in the back of my truck and was at the dealer's shop door the moment they opened. Told them the story, he walked back into his office and came out with the bearing collar in hand. He said they noticed it and had another bike in the shop that it would fit and thought they forgot it and took that bike apart again to check and where surprised it was't it. Hummm... now they are wondering which bike left without it. Filed a damage/claim report so when the bike showed up they would repair it free. Where they glad it was a loose wheel and no one got hurt nor a bike got torn up. I knew something was wrong when I tried to torq the rear axle nut and it would lock the wheel from spinning way before I could put any torq on it (glad I didn't tare up the seals). So the bike is back together, will ride it up to get inspected tomorrow and I'm set for my trip.

Oh, I swung by Harbor Freight on the way home and now I have a motorcycle tire balancer stand. Balanced it with 2 weights.

Edited by aharbi