IGNORED

I'm a lucky man

54chevybelair

My wife finaly road on our new to us 2004 RSV. Our last bike was a GW so I was concerned how she would like this bike. She really enjoyed it and said it was very comfortable. I was planning on adding armrest figuring she would want them because she had them on the GW. To my surprise she liked the bike without them, she likes holding the handles and is very comfortable. She did say she would like me to get a drivers backrest with a storage pouch in the back so she can put stuff in it. That was her only complaint is lack of reachable storage.

So I went from needing to buy armrest for her to buying a backrest for me, I'm a lucky man. Now I just need to find out who makes a backrest with a storage pouch.

Thanks for all the replies. I see Diamond R is a more expensive. Does anyone know any differences, they don't have good pictures on their web site. My '04 RSV is a midnight with the non-pillow seat and studs, so I would like the backrest to match. How does the Diamond-R fold down, does it just pivot or does it move forward. I have seen pictures of RSV's with the backrest moved forward almost laying on the front seat, is this the Diamond-R. A friend has the Utopia and he is happy with it. Sorry for the questions, just weighing my options befor purchasing.

I have had the Diamond R backrest on my bike for 5 years now - love it, and it has a pouch which is attached via velcro - so one could take the pouch with them if they wanted to (I guess). The backrest is adjustable front to back - and up and down, and easy to install. The backrest folds forward onto the riders seat for easier access onto the bike (throwing a leg over or the passenger getting onto the bike). I was able to install the Diamond R backrest with my stock - later upgraded - seat. They are awesome people to deal with - hope this helps. :080402gudl_prv:

I'll let someone else comment on the Diamond-R model.

I have the Utiopa model with studs to match my Midnight. It has two pivot points. Down near the base and at the top where the backrest attaches to the mounting bracket. What I like most about it is that the wife can get on easier due to the backrest being able to fold down with the backrest sitting on the drivers seat. That feature also makes it easier for the driver swinging their leg over the saddle too. There's a turn screw on the bottom swivel section to allow adjustment fore and aft for that perfect spot for the driver. It has a zippered removable pouch on back and the material matches perfectly to the RSV's seats.

I did make one change to mine when I got it thou. As it came from Utiopa I thought the backrest pad was a bit too high to my liking so I lowered it about an inch or so. Drilled 2 holes in the mount and was good to go for that.

Anyhow I really do like the Utiopa backrest myself.

Larry

• 2 months later...
My wife finaly road on our new to us 2004 RSV. Our last bike was a GW so I was concerned how she would like this bike. She really enjoyed it and said it was very comfortable. I was planning on adding armrest figuring she would want them because she had them on the GW. To my surprise she liked the bike without them, she likes holding the handles and is very comfortable. She did say she would like me to get a drivers backrest with a storage pouch in the back so she can put stuff in it. That was her only complaint is lack of reachable storage.

So I went from needing to buy armrest for her to buying a backrest for me, I'm a lucky man. Now I just need to find out who makes a backrest with a storage pouch.

Mine is the Utopia one and it has storage. It can come off and be used as a purse as well.