IGNORED

Noise and exhaust

mmoffitt

Finally took the trailer out for the first time..I notice there is more noise from the exhaust bouncing back off of the trailer. I expected that. But the wife and I also noticed that we could smell the exhaust more. It's hard to tell in the photo but it looks like the exhaust exists the pipes below the trailer so I thought the smell would go right back under the trailer. I wouldn't mind except I'm a little concerned about breathing too much of it in if we get stuck in stop and go traffic...should I be worried or is it fine?

Is there an alternative? I see these aren't the stock pipes. Would it help if they were stock? Are the pipes or sleeves you slip on the ends of the pipes that curve outward so the exhaust is shot out to the side instead of the back? And if so, would that help anything?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to pulling a trailer on the bike...:confused24:

From looking at your trailer, this is probably happening due to the large flat front surface of it. I noticed the additional loudness when I pulled my trailer but no exhaust smell. I have the RK slip-ons. Possibly turn-down or out tips would help with the smell.

Just my opinion but I don't think the small amount of smell you're getting will cause any harm as it's the extended exposure to the carbon-monoxide that will do that and it's probably being dispersed sufficiently in this case.

That's kind of what I was thinking about the smell too but wasn't sure. We didn't even notice it by the end of the ride. The noise is a little loud but not too bad. We have 3/4 helmets, so that helps with the sound. If I found someone with stock pipes that wanted to trade me though, I would probably swap them out. I like the look of these pipes but I've never been on to need a loud rumble...I don't think these are really loud but they are louder than stock...

I don't think I'd take the chance...it's not worth it... Especially when taking a long trip. Turn down tips will force the exhaust under the trailer. Those fins have a tendency to exit right into the face of the trailer, and the vortex will bring them back into the riding bubble behind the windshield. If you find yourself feeling sleepy or disoriented it's time to pull over...

If you can smell exhaust you are also getting Carbon Monoxide.

CO is noting to mess with, you will be sound asleep before you realize you have a problem.

I'm sorry but IMHO that is like saying if you can smell a skunk, you've been sprayed.

The exhaust smell is not a product of CO and if you're out in the OPEN AIR, the CO will disperse in the air ... I doubt you'd inhale enough of it to cause any problem. If that were the case, I'da been asleep years ago and so would many of the rest of you. :witch_brew: :witch_brew:

I had the same issue when I started trailering. My girlfriend found it noxious. Since my pipe tips were delaminating it was no big deal to change them out. I found some Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle tips. They turned down and my issues went away!

Never had the issue of getting fumes while puling my Bushtec, but when I had my 98 TC with Bubs I did notice the sound bouncing off the trailer and being louder than I wanted on a long trip. On the Venture I have turn-out tips on the Kromewerks, so there is no additional noise due to the echo of the pipes off the front of the trailer.

Unless you are riding in your garage you shouldn't worry too much about the carbon monoxide. You are smelling hydro-carbon residue and that tiny bit won't hurt for the short time you get it.

The turn down caps would probably help.

What will also help is wearing earplugs inside your helmet. The exhaust is mostly low frequency noise, and the earplugs will deal with it nicely while not interfering too much with intercoms, etc.