IGNORED

Hot Starting

twigg

I bought 8' of 4 guage welding wire to make both cables. I did not add a ground to the starter. As the ground goes to the engine & the starter is well connected to it as well, so there should be no ground path issue there.

Thanks.

I'll add the original starter wire to the ground side ... That would probably be the equivalent of 2 6-Gauge ground wires. I may need to cut and fit new lugs ... they need to be the same length although in practise it probably doesn't make too much difference if they vary slightly.

I made the hot side from 4-gauge.

I had similar problems on my 87, tried all the fixes and upgrades suggested by everyone here, and I appreciate all the help, believe me. In the long run it turned out to be a cracked armature in the starter itself, which was readily visible after disassembling the starter. Apparently when it got hot it expanded and dropped any voltage supplied by the battery and cables. A replacement from Stockers Starters cured all the ills. I am not saying this is the problem, but if you break the starter down for repairs or upgrades, be sure to inspect the armature for cracks. Would have saved me a lot of grief.