IGNORED

Adjusting throttle cables

Has anyone done this recently? I'm reading the procedure in the book but I'm not gasping it.. adjust at the handle and then at carb end? and then the cruise control end? Where is that located? (page 3-16 3-17)

I have a lot of slop in the throttle that I need to tighten up once and for all..

The Cruise is under the left cowling in front of the shift lever.

One thing worth mentioning... While tightening the cables one way to check if you've got it too tight is to turn the handlebars to the right till it hits the lock. Roll the throttle and see if it comes back quickly or sticks and stays revved. If it sticks and stays revved up or comes down slowly then the cables are too tight. This only happens with the bars turned full lock to the right. Just FYI

Yes but the junction box where the cables connect is mounted on the left side of the frame just under the gas tank, towards the front. It is a black somewhat circular black box. You will see three cables connecting to it. One goes to the throttle, one to the carbs and one exits the bottom and goes to the cruise module inside the lower cowling.

Yes but the junction box where the cables connect is mounted on the left side of the frame just under the gas tank, towards the front. It is a black somewhat circular black box. You will see three cables connecting to it. One goes to the throttle, one to the carbs and one exits the bottom and goes to the cruise module inside the lower cowling.

But all the adjustments are done in other locations. The cruise adjustment is done at the cruise box itself, not the junction box.

However, I'd probably do the handlebar and the carb adjustment first then just check the free play at the cruise box.

Here's the short vrsion - adjust the cables at the carb for no slack at all - just make sure they allow free return of the throttle when the bars are all the way to the right as described by gibvel above. Be aware that if you have risers and stock cables, you probably will not be able to avoid binding at full right lock - even on new bikes with stock handlebars this is not uncommon.

The cruise cable is also adjusted for no slack.

The only slack or free-play is adjusted in the cable from the thumb wheel at the throttle.

Goose

Many thanks folks!! I have the risers on the bike but also the longer cables for a lot of free play as well ;)

Much appreciated!! All's good now.. wow, that was a lot of slack and prolly explains what was causing the cruise control to kick off in the high winds.. Now I just have to wait for the 40 day and night flooding rains to cease before putting it to the test.. ;)