hi rick

i did the mod a couple of years ago. it's not a bad job but is a good day's work. just follow the tech section that listed in the other post. i realy like the look of the fire sticks. i got the black ones ( 1 for the cb and 1 for the am-fm radio ). front faring got to be removed, gas tank comes off, both seats come off also, and the trunk comes unbolted. you don't have to remove it but make sure it won't slide around. if i can help give me a call #'s in my profile.

reguards

don c.

p.s. i didn't buy the fold over adapters but that's just me.

As Gunboat indicated, it's simple enough to do.. order the right parts and take your time doing the work.. I also did not do the fold over option and if it ever came to the need to lower them, I have to wrench them off.. In the past two riding seasons I haven't had the need to do that..

Yea, 30 minutes is probably what it took me. The CB side only runs under the trunk. I picked up a short (about 12") adapter at a local truck stop that converted from the Motorola type plug to the standard coax connector. Just screw it onto the antenna and then plug it into the female Motorola connector that comes out of the CB box.

On the FM side, I just cut the Coax and soldered the connector onto the existing cable. I didn't have to pull the seat, tank, fairing, etc. I did all of this several years ago and it's worked fine.

I have checked out the Marshall Mod and I'm confused somewhat as to the install and parts. On the 2nd gen they don't call for PL-239 like the instructions say.

Is this all i would need:

JBC930 Stud Mount (2)

203EZ Fold Over Adaptor (2)

18 SMMPL 18" cable (1)

128XMOTO29 RG8X 12' CABLE MAYBE FOR RADIO

FireFlies FL-3 (2)

Is the How to do it yamaha Royal Star Venture the correct instructin section. Sounds like the AM/FM could cause some issues. I'm going to be laid up some for a month and thought I would takle this project. Thanks for all your help and support.ma

that has a Motorola plug and Female PL-259

all in one rig.

Yes, that is correct. There are actually a number of different parts that can interchange with the ones that he listed. There are several brands and models of bases for example. Also, if you don't want to remove the seat, tank, fairing and etc., you can just cut the end off the existing AM/FM cable and solder a coax connector to it. The fold overs are optional. They are handy if you use a cover on your bike but otherwise, not necessary and though I do have them on mine, I think you are better off without them UNLESS you cover your bike.

With Bummer's great help (ok he did most of the work) I made the switch shortly after I bought the bike in '08. I was already thinking about it when I lost my antenna on the highway. All I know is when I started I had it on there and by the time I got home about 30 minutes later it was not there. So by losing an antenna just helped me push to go ahead and make the switch. I also have the fold over option, but have never used it. I did it in case if I ever needed to.

And like others we just switched out the connectors, we didn't remove the tank, split the fairing, change the cables, etc...

yes you can just cut off the ends and solider on new ones. but i wanted all new cables and wanted to learn more about my bike. when i did all of this my cb was not working and i was not a member of the ventureriders. i rode for the first two years of buying the bike used and never used the cb. it was after joining the venturesriders that i found out why my cb was not working. i had all ready cut the cb cable off the mount). a member here told me to check the male/female plug under the trunk going to the cb transmitter. the plug had come undone from the cb. may have been that way for a long time. so i went ahead a did a complete cable change out for both antenna's.

reguards

don c.

• 1 month later...

They used to make a different one. It looked like the CB antenna but was wound with nylon line instead of copper and didn't have the tunable tip. I have one on my bike but I bought it probably 6 or more years ago. I understand that it has been discontinued. I think that now most people just go with another CB antenna for the FM side and it seems to work just fine.

Well,

since the knucklehead I bought my 06 Black Cherry RSV from cut the antennae off and stuck them under the trunk I had no choice but to upgrade. I simply removed the existing antennae and took a tap to the mounting hole, made it 3/8 and mounted the firesticks to both sides. Not to mention I painted them Black Cherry as well and hung and American and Marine Corps flag off of each one and they work great. I metered the cb antennae and all work great. That is up to yesterday when I got a CBer reading on my cb, but I am thinking that is a wiring issue and nothing to do with the firesticks. I have a couple of other friends that put on firesticks and had no issues as well.

Good Luck.

\Mongo