IGNORED

child's plastic surgery

Sideoftheroad

I don't know. I've got mixed feelings about it. I agree that the mother seemed much more concerned than the little girl did. Maybe it was SHE who was embarrassed.

On the other hand. If one of my children was indeed being bullied and teased and they were feeling really self-conscious about it and there was something that I could do....I would have to give it some thought.

I think in this case I would have considered it as well,,,,, especially to cut the comments from grown ups,,,, that probably done the most damage.

I just worry about other cases and how the 'doctors' find way to make money. I know, this one was for 'nothing', but that doctor sure got his name out!!!!

Yah!!! It is a shame that our vain and shallow society has lead to things such as this!!! Yes, mommy was the one behind it all, the child is just a parrot of what mommy has instilled in her brain. Now what I have observed in life is our "defects" are what make us strong when we deal with them and overcome their obstacles. We need to stop thinking about what other people think of our appearance and instead think about what other people think about our ACTIONS and how we can contribute to a more functional society...

Now the kids will just tease her because she went and had plastic surgery. Kids are just mean, anyway.

I too think Mommy did it for herself. The little girl even said she wasn't being teased at school, but Mommy had heard other grown ups say something about the ears. I think Mommy was embarrassed of her little girl, so she got her fixed up, to meet those other adults' expectations.

I feel like others on this site, that it appears Mom may be makeing a bigger issue of it due to her own embarrasement and insecurity, although I can see some truth in it all. My biggest fear here for this little girl is. Would she be learning to cope with and rise above her differences or would she learn that every issue in her life can be corrected with a quick fix like plastic surgery or something similiar. Will she become one of those who feel every little cosmetic thing she is not happy with, needs surgary? What happens to her if her problems cannot be quick fixed, will she be able to meet the challanges of life head on despite small hurdles?

Edited by saddlebum

I have cerebral palsy, not very severe mind you. But I do limp a little, and I used to hold my right hand funny all the time. I was tormented in school because of it. But Dad made me stand up for myself. I also have the school of hard knocks attitude. What doesn't break me, makes me stronger. I thank Dad for that too. If it wasn't me being tormented, it might have been someone else less emotionally strong than me and I might have heard of something tragic happening to them. I think the mother like many ppl had insecurities that she projected on her child.

I have to agree w/ all the comments on here about the parent. Kids will be cruel either way like Monty said. I don't think she looks natural after surgery. She looked better before. That is just me.

If any of you watch college wrestling there is an African American guy that wrestles for Arizona (I think). His mom is white and he has one leg. When I watched it last month he won the title. Talk about obstacles he had to go through and he seems to have his head square on his shoulders.

Ah, but Annie, self esteem does not come from plastic surgery. I think Mommy has issues and is projecting them on her daughter.

But "loss of self esteem" will come from the bullying. And that will affect the child the rest of their life.

I've had experience of that with children, and foster children....it's soul destroying!

But "loss of self esteem" will come from the bullying. And that will affect the child the rest of their life.

I've had experience of that with children, and foster children....it's soul destroying!

I was far from Mr. Popular my self and I came out just fine. I am also married to a beautiful woman who was bullied to no end as a teenager, any body who knows her now would never guess that, for she would rip little bloody strips off of anybody who would try to boss her around unjustifiably.

Though I do not deny that bullying can be traumatic, it in no way destroys self esteem unless the individual allows that, which goes back to the individuals inner strength, parenting and support. We must each make our own destiny. Choosing plastic surgery is choosing an external solution for an internal problem, kind of like putting paint over a wall covered in mold. It might look better, but it don't fix the problem.

and quit yelling .....

I have a little niece 4yrs old, as cute as a button, even with an abnormal upper lip from birth.

She's never really noticed it until the kids in daycare, a year ago, pointing it out and making comments and fun of her (under the age of 4). She started covering her mouth with her hand when she speaks so it isn't so noticeable. How sad is that!

Last month her mother took her in for surgery at Sick Kids, as it would become much larger as she grows older.

Now I think the sad part about this is, why don't caregivers and adults educate their children at a young age about all people being different and that no one is perfect?

I too was one of those unpopular kids in school. I have Dyslexia, ADHD, Dysgraphia, and Asthma. All things that no amount of surgery could fix. Another factor was all the abuse I took from my Father on almost a daily basis, as well as watching and hearing what he did to my Mother and sometimes my older brother. And then there was the fact that I was a Jehovah's Witness. It took a lot of years before I figured out why all the other kids were always asking why I believed in Satan instead of God. And they weren't polite about it either. Even with dealing with all that as a kid, I think I turned out rather well. But you would have to ask the people around me to get an unbiased opinion. I don't do drug, I'm not an alcoholic, I'm not in jail/prison, etc.. It took a lot of years to become the person I am today, and I wouldn't be that person if it hadn't been for all those things that happened in my life. So even as tough as things were for me, I wouldn't change a thing if I had a chance. What would help is if parents would tech their kids that we're not all the same and that all because someone is different, doesn't mean there's something wrong with them. Teach them tolerance, forgiveness, and understanding. Which is what all those people were supposed to be learning in their churches and what have ya anyway. And lets not forget what we've been taught once we're adult.

Bill

Edited by a1bummer