IGNORED

Bought a Cavalcade

Godlover

When I was researching what to buy in the way of an older touring bike last year (Since I couldn't afford a newer one!), I ran across some interesting info in the Cavalcade owners forum. It seems that these machines have some kind of rubber covered metal plug in the rear drive that can come loose and allow the lubricant to leak into the outer case. This leads to the gears heating up and seizing which locks up the back wheel at speed. Also, the lubricant stays in the case ... there's nothing that shows up outside. You have to check the fluid level every 150 miles (If I remember correctly ... getting old, you know) to know if it's leaking. It seems that there is some kind of fix for it, so it might be worth checking into whether or not the fix has been done to this bike.

When I was researching what to buy in the way of an older touring bike last year (Since I couldn't afford a newer one!), I ran across some interesting info in the Cavalcade owners forum. It seems that theseix and sell machines have some kind of rubber covered metal plug in the rear drive that can come loose and allow the lubricant to leak into the outer case. This leads to the gears heating up and seizing which locks up the back wheel at speed. Also, the lubricant stays in the case ... there's nothing that shows up outside. You have to check the fluid level every 150 miles (If I remember correctly ... getting old, you know) to know if it's leaking. It seems that there is some kind of fix for it, so it might be worth checking into whether or not the fix has been done to this bike.

Thanks. I bought this to fix and sell. This is kind of a new hobby for me.

When I was researching what to buy in the way of an older touring bike last year (Since I couldn't afford a newer one!), I ran across some interesting info in the Cavalcade owners forum. It seems that these machines have some kind of rubber covered metal plug in the rear drive that can come loose and allow the lubricant to leak into the outer case. This leads to the gears heating up and seizing which locks up the back wheel at speed. Also, the lubricant stays in the case ... there's nothing that shows up outside. You have to check the fluid level every 150 miles (If I remember correctly ... getting old, you know) to know if it's leaking. It seems that there is some kind of fix for it, so it might be worth checking into whether or not the fix has been done to this bike.

These bikes have separate oil in the secondary, the trans does not get lubed by the engine oil. Its very important to check and maintain the secondary fluid. The plug you are talking about is in the secondary unit. The fill drain area is behind the small cover on the left side of bike on the engine, it has 4 screws holding the cover on. They are great bikes. Craig

These bikes have separate oil in the secondary, the trans does not get lubed by the engine oil. Its very important to check and maintain the secondary fluid. The plug you are talking about is in the secondary unit. The fill drain area is behind the small cover on the left side of bike on the engine, it has 4 screws holding the cover on. They are great bikes. Craig

Thanks Craig. There isn't a ton of info on these bikes on the web. The bike has been repainted and looks sharp. If all else fails I will part it out and make money. I hate to part out such a sharp looking bike.

Thanks Craig. There isn't a ton of info on these bikes on the web. The bike has been repainted and looks sharp. If all else fails I will part it out and make money. I hate to part out such a sharp looking bike.

Would hate to see you part it out if its as nice as you say, I have an 85 Madura, its the cades little brother, 1200ccs vs cades 1400 ccs if you go on the delphi forums, on the Madura board there is a guy that knows the cade inside and out and he is very willing to share his knowledge, really a great guy. Rob is his name he is one of the moderators. Let me know if I can help. Craig

Would hate to see you part it out if its as nice as you say, I have an 85 Madura, its the cades little brother, 1200ccs vs cades 1400 ccs if you go on the delphi forums, on the Madura board there is a guy that knows the cade inside and out and he is very willing to share his knowledge, really a great guy. Rob is his name he is one of the moderators. Let me know if I can help. Craig

Thanks Craig!