IGNORED

Shock Question.

TearlessTom

Just out of curiosity,

How often do you need to air up your shocks.

Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Never.

Mine seem to leak down in about 2 weeks or less, I was wondering if leaking is normal or should I have it checked. Bike is still under warranty.

I have never found the air pressure to change in either my rear shock or front forks.

Actually, an air leak in the rear shock of a 2nd gen is not common at all. The know failure of these shocks is OIL leak, and most of the time when a shock has completely failed, it continues to hold air and bounce fine, just has absolutely no dampening, so it is like riding a pogo stick.

I'd suggest you check to make sure the Schrader valves in the air inlet for each shock/fork is tight. To check for leaks at the valve, just wipe a bit of spit on the valve stem with your finger tip - it will form a film over the top of the valve stem for a long time if there is no air leak there. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks for the info guys. You gotta love this site!

I was thinking it was kinda normal as the HD Street Glide that I owned for a few months (couldn't get used to that shake) the shocks on it did the same thing.

The bike is back in the shop again for the over-heating issue and coolant leak again. They found a problem after a month and a call to Ma Yamaha last time which could have caused the over heating but it was not the true issue. Still blowing coolant out the exhaust. They finally agreed to what we told them three months ago that it was probable a head gasket problem so after three weeks in the shop now they were suppose to start tearing it down last Thursday.

So I will add this to the list of things for them to check while as I am sure they will have to wait on parts.

Folks at dealership are very nice but service is lousy at best. but that's another rant.

I am seriously thinking about asking them to take over my notes since it is in their shop more than my garage.

Thanks again!

I have noticed slight variations as a function of ambient temperature (we're talking the differences between it being 40 in the morning and 95 in the afternoon) but again, these differences are slight. I just checked my fronts a few days ago and they are right where I set them 6 months ago - surprised the heck out of me.

I usually run 35 lbs in the rear when two up, and have found that it takes about a week to leak down to 25 lbs and then that's where it stays. Shrader valve is tight with no leaks there, and the hose down to the shock seems to be good as well.

I run zero in the front so no issue there.