IGNORED

Cruise Control quick engage trick?

Had the bike out today, tried to engage cruise control.. and remembered that there was a quick trick to getting the cruise to stick to the desired speed, without waiting for the system to catch up (lagging).. but erhmm can't remember what it was.. double tap the set button? Double tap the Accel button?

Regardless, the shake down cruise went well.. lots of mods and adjustments made to the bike this past winter and the bike performs well, almost like a different bike. But I couldn't get the cruise control to engage properly or stay on.. 3000 rpm at 60 mph in 5th.. with heavy winds.. wondering if that had anything to do with it..

Does anyone remember what that quick set trick was on cruise control?

Cheers

Yep, hit set then double tap accelerate . It sets it right now.

I tried that and now my cruise doesn't work at all. I almost wrecked as well.

and on top of that, I have to replace my right side handlebar controls because of the 2 .38 caliber holes in the controls!!! :whistling:

I tried that and now my cruise doesn't work at all. I almost wrecked as well.

and on top of that, I have to replace my right side handlebar controls because of the 2 .38 caliber holes in the controls!!!

.38's? Girls shot into your controls?

But I couldn't get the cruise control to engage properly or stay on.. 3000 rpm at 60 mph in 5th.. with heavy winds.. wondering if that had anything to do with it..

Cheers

You can't get the cruise control to work at 60 in fifth. I can only get mine to work at 75 in fifth. Under that I have to be in fourth, not enough rpms in fifth for the cc to work properly.

:farmer:

I don't think it's universal. I've used my cruise many times in 5th gear at 50 - 55 MPH. Something is not right. I have the VMAX rear now but even before then, I never had a problem getting the cruise to set and stay set at lower speeds. Now granted, if I was running in 5th at low speeds and approached a good sized hill or something it might decrease enough in speed to shut it off but that was a rare occurrence.

Seaking,

Mine does the same thing, and has all along from when I got ti. The guy I got it from said it was a little intermittent. Some time it will stay set for a long time and others it disengages in less than a mile. Setting at 62 to 68 GPS. Did that As a two wheeler. I was thinking it was a leaky vacuum or weak controler.....:confused24: and like mentioned wont pull a hill. I do like the curse on the 1800, set and go. Wished I could figure out how to make one like it has for the RSV.....;)

One thing everyone needs to check is the throttle cables and cruise control cable from the vaccumn controler. Be sure they're set per specifications as to the adjustments called for.

Like Don, I'm pretty sure I could set my cruise in 5th gear at 45 mph and it would stay there for as long as I didn't trip it or run into hills.

Larry

One thing everyone needs to check is the throttle cables and cruise control cable from the vaccumn controler. Be sure they're set per specifications as to the adjustments called for. Like Don, I'm pretty sure I could set my cruise in 5th gear at 45 mph and it would stay there for as long as I didn't trip it or run into hills.

Larry

Mine your trip off when I hit a big bump or pothole on the highway.. where there are many around here.. No idea why that is..

Mine your trip off when I hit a big bump or pothole on the highway.. where there are many around here.. No idea why that is..

I think they ALL do that at some time or another. Probably shakes the front brake lever hard enough to "trip" the disengage switch.

Don't forget that the disengage can also be due to the switches in the clutch/brake handle. I still have my leather tassels and with higher speeds the wind pulls back on the clutch handle just enough to trip disengage. It does not take much to disengage it.

I undersatnd it is a bushing and just have not replaced it yet.

On my RSTD last year, mine was failing miserably at interstate speeds. A few days before I was going to take it to the shop, I cut the tassels so they only covered the levers.

NEVER had another issue, can engage 4th & 5th just fine. I had fought that for months.

(I had suspected the tassel problem, tried holding my hands on the levers while engaged and it was still failing. So, I convinced my self it was mechanical,,,, till I cut the tassels off. I like the levers covered with leather, so on next bike put covers only.)

I did get a kick the first time I used my cruise on my RSV,,, after being used to the RSTD. That same switch turns on the FLASHERS on the RSV!

Mike G in SC

Had the bike out today, tried to engage cruise control.. and remembered that there was a quick trick to getting the cruise to stick to the desired speed, without waiting for the system to catch up (lagging).. but erhmm can't remember what it was.. double tap the set button? Double tap the Accel button?

Regardless, the shake down cruise went well.. lots of mods and adjustments made to the bike this past winter and the bike performs well, almost like a different bike. But I couldn't get the cruise control to engage properly or stay on.. 3000 rpm at 60 mph in 5th.. with heavy winds.. wondering if that had anything to do with it..

Does anyone remember what that quick set trick was on cruise control?

Cheers

Why all the work on a 2006? Mine runs real good & done nothing to it but Reg- stuff

On my RSTD last year, mine was failing miserably at interstate speeds. A few days before I was going to take it to the shop, I cut the tassels so they only covered the levers.

NEVER had another issue, can engage 4th & 5th just fine. I had fought that for months.

(I had suspected the tassel problem, tried holding my hands on the levers while engaged and it was still failing. So, I convinced my self it was mechanical,,,, till I cut the tassels off. I like the levers covered with leather, so on next bike put covers only.)

I did get a kick the first time I used my cruise on my RSV,,, after being used to the RSTD. That same switch turns on the FLASHERS on the RSV!

Mike G in SC

My wife had that problem on her 535 Virago. Of course, that bike did not have cruise control.

But it was with the tassles blowing in the wind that made her brake light flicker at highway speeds.

Why all the work on a 2006? Mine runs real good & done nothing to it but Reg- stuff

I dunno about you but I ride mine a lot.. close to 90,000 miles on it thus far.. I bought it used in July 2008 with 20,000 on it.. and I put the rest of it on in mostly the last two summers.. I've seen some 2006 with 20,000 miles on it last summer.. wow, ride much?? How many yards do you put on your bike each summer?

Mine was in rough shape when I got it, previous owner not having taken care of it properly.. he didn't like the bike at all.. but all it took was some TLC and up she goes.. running sweet. I'm a little picky where I like my bike to run properly..

How many miles on your 2006?