IGNORED

What did I get into???

Yammer Dan

You remember I got a "New" 1st Gen not long ago and been trying to find time to get carbs off and clean them to get it running. Bike shows 22k and owner swore that was right. Lot of goodies on it and needs cleaned badly. i finally got a little time to pull carbs today. He claimed it had never sat outside was in heated garage all its life. 25 yrs!! when I pulled carbs every thing I got to was stuck. Crud on carbs and bottom of air box was hard to believe. Bike does look good but makes me wonder where all that came from. And plugs are gone so someone has been in carbs. They are so dirty I'm thinking of swapping with "Blue Beast" I don't know of any place that soaks the things any more. Something wrong with that being that dirty. Might be 122k. I hope not and it sounds too good what few seconds I could get it to run priming it. I'll keep everyone posted. Carbs off the "Blue Beast"??? Hate to take that engine apart. Parts bike runs too good to take things from. i need another 1st Gen. Never have too many. Didn't mean to write book just thinking out loud and know there are a few wondering about the scoot.

You remember I got a "New" 1st Gen not long ago and been trying to find time to get carbs off and clean them to get it running. Bike shows 22k and owner swore that was right. Lot of goodies on it and needs cleaned badly. i finally got a little time to pull carbs today. He claimed it had never sat outside was in heated garage all its life. 25 yrs!! when I pulled carbs every thing I got to was stuck. Crud on carbs and bottom of air box was hard to believe. Bike does look good but makes me wonder where all that came from. And plugs are gone so someone has been in carbs. They are so dirty I'm thinking of swapping with "Blue Beast" I don't know of any place that soaks the things any more. Something wrong with that being that dirty. Might be 122k. I hope not and it sounds too good what few seconds I could get it to run priming it. I'll keep everyone posted. Carbs off the "Blue Beast"??? Hate to take that engine apart. Parts bike runs too good to take things from. i need another 1st Gen. Never have too many. Didn't mean to write book just thinking out loud and know there are a few wondering about the scoot.

Dan, maybe get a bucket of "Gunk parts cleaner" with the basket in it, for soaking the carbs. This can be found in some Auto parts stores. You should be able to soak two at a time (broken down into various parts) in it. Also why not pull the carbs off the blue beast in the interm, to continue your checkout, of the rest of the bike & test rides (if there is no sn*w in your area).

Yammer Dan;

I got my 86 VR in 2006, 20 years old with only 17k miles on it.

I learned at it had been stored, improperly, too long since it konked on me.

I drained gas & saw 'black silt' [rust] & knew carbs were shot.

Carbs redone, tank acid washed & relined, plugs, sync'd etc.

Low miles makes me VERY suspicious, nowdays.

I don't think it sat outside in down town Baltimore. The neighbor hood would have it stripped to the frame. It probably sat with old gas in it for several years. You might want to swap those carbs out to get it running for now. Take a test ride and evaluate everything else. It's obvious someone else done the work but it sure wasn't those guys.

What do you expect its an antique you will be lucky if the seat isn't petrified. Yank the carbs off the blue beast and get that old dog running. When you step in poo you can walk it off or wash it off so put a set of carbs on it or start selling parts.

You should have bought a second gen:rasberry::stirthepot::rotf::rotf:

What do you expect its an antique you will be lucky if the seat isn't petrified. Yank the carbs off the blue beast and get that old dog running. When you step in poo you can walk it off or wash it off so put a set of carbs on it or start selling parts.

You should have bought a second gen:rasberry::stirthepot::rotf::rotf:

I would have to starty the day before I wanted to be where I was going then. Ain't got the time!!:stirthepot::clap2:

I would have to starty the day before I wanted to be where I was going then. Ain't got the time!!:stirthepot::clap2:
How early are you going to have to leave to push that first gen where you are going?

The carbs on the blue beast are going to ruin just sitting there so you might as well use them. There will be plenty to keep you busy if the carbs are that bad the brake system is probably not much better and summer is coming so you better get your butt in gear.

You are right about that. All the calipers are going to have to be done. Hoping masters are not. Wire connectors without being Di-Electric greased don't like that sitting either. It sat in heated garage and just got baked. Probally been lot better without heat. And I think more than the 3 yrs he claims. I am stubborn, will take closer look at carbs today but swapping them is probally best way to go. They were stuck on bike so tight I used 24 in breaker bar across corner of valve covers and under edge of carbs and a lot more pressure than I wanted to use just to break them loose from intake boots. Yes clamps were loose. Took a while to get them out of there without bending anything. This one has a lot of promise but going to be interesting.

Also can't get transmisson to go in gear. Maybe pull clutch plates and clean?? Not sure what would cause that but maybe getting engine running to move gears around in there will cure this. No brakes,no clutch, engine won't run, but it sure is pretty. One of the do-dads on it is a guage to tell you your lean angle like the one for wings of a plane. If I get over far enough to need that guage I'm probally going to be a little too interested in other things to look at guage!!

Also can't get transmisson to go in gear. Maybe pull clutch plates and clean?? Not sure what would cause that but maybe getting engine running to move gears around in there will cure this.

Yup, pull the clutch plates apart & clean the steels. They are probably stuck together, from lack of use.

Also can't get transmisson to go in gear. Maybe pull clutch plates and clean?? Not sure what would cause that but maybe getting engine running to move gears around in there will cure this. No brakes,no clutch, engine won't run, but it sure is pretty.

Yep, 83#2 was that same way when I got her. Only it'd been sitting outside in the rain for a couple of winters. The plastic was perfect. Got the engine fired with carb cleaner after grinding the starter for about 5 minutes. Fired and shut her off emediately. Dumped in fresh fuel and a can of Sea Foam. Fired 'er again, and the longer the engine ran, the better it ran. Not great, but good. Bled the black fluid out of the clutch and brakes, and road it around the next day. After tossing in a set of fresh plugs, and syncing the carbs, it ran awesome. Strongest motor of the two 83's. You might try adding a little Sea Foam to fresh crank oil before tearing the clutch apart. Once that engine starts to warm up a bit those plates should seperate, and tranny will start to move around.

Thought I could get some cleaner into these things and make it fire but no luck. Opened drains and got it to pump cleaner through and left it sit a few days when I thougght the carbs were full of cleaner but no good. Got it to run few secons on starting fluid but don't like to use that stuff. It did sound good what I could hear then. Got carbs off think I will submerge them in cleaner overnight and pull bowls clean them out and anything else I can get to and try again. Would like to make it run on orginal carbs because I'm stubborn and the "Blue Beast" got lousey MPG although she would fly. Get it running and hope tranny works. Right now it is is neutral and won't go into gear. Owner claimed he ran it thru gears right before I got it. Don't think so. All brakes are stuck. Fluid looks good. Maybe cleaning calipers will cure this masters seen to be working.

1. Clean carbs get engine running

2. Pull clutch plates and clean

3. Pull calipers and clean. Hope this fixes brakes.

4. Fix plastic tabs. Plastic looks good on outside but lot of tabs missing Dude drilled little holes and wired it on so you couldn't see wires and forgot to tell me about it.

He forgot to tell me someone had been in the carbs. Had worked on the exhaust and a few other things. Too many accessories on it that don't work. He is blaming it all on sitting. Wanted me to give him good feedback before I got into bike and got it running. Maybe didn't want me to see these things?? When you drive that far to pick up bike you don't have time to dismantle it to find all these things. Right now I would have a hard time buying another that don't run and I could ride. But it sure does look good sitting out there. Got all kinds of looks in the back of Froggy's truck.

I haven't given Feedback yet.

I remember it Mike. I was watching it but couldn't buy at the time. It is a great looking 84. And its BLUE!!

DELTARAT had the same thing happen to him when he bought his '89 off Ebay. Rode it back from L.A. to Sacramento, and barely made it on a bike that was supposed to be perfect. Mainly carb problems and he's still trying to iron things out.....

Dan - I shoulda let you take my 2nd Gen for a spin that day in Baltimore. Maybe you would've been converted!

Ya know. I gotta admit, I had been looking at 2gens. Don't anybody faint. I actually rode a couple. Sorry guys... I guess it's my being horizontally challenged... but 2ndGens just don't feel 'right' to me. I get on one and my knees are in my eyeballs. OK not my eyeballs, but you get the idea. That's what I like about a 1stGen. It sits high, and I can stretch forward on the highway pegs, or keep 'm under me on the stock pegs. I even find myself resting the back of my calf on the highways on long trips. With the passenger packed with a duffle bag I can lean back, and it's very comfortable. So...... that said I went out and bought another 1stGen. A '91 black/gray. I don't know if it's a repaint... I can't find the color combination listed in the history section.... but I really really like it. It's got more chrome on it than I care to admit. Would look great cruising East L.A. in SoCal.... :) It's got more V-Line stuff on it than I've never seen before??? The rear end lighting will look good around christmas. And it already has a trailer 'receiver' hitch installed and wired. It has a few seedy cosmetic plastic areas, but every thing it needs I have stashed!! I'll post pics when I get it smoozed. :thumbsup2:

Black and Grey!! Hurry with those pics...I gotta see that....those are great colors...almost as good as the blue!

Yeah, it's black with grey panals. Looks.:sign kewl: I thought it was an all black 'Midnight' from the original pics the owner posted, but I like this combo even better.

I think there was a black/grey sold in europe only. It was called a '94, but (I seem to remember) it was actually left over '93, or built in '93 and called '94. I saw a picture of one a long time ago, they were pretty rare, even in Europe.

that said I went out and bought another 1stGen. A '91 black/gray. I don't know if it's a repaint... I can't find the color combination listed in the history section.... but I really really like it.

Jack, I got a black / gray right side upper in my room. I got it from Montreal about a month or so ago. So I don't think it is a repaint.