IGNORED

avon venom tread wear

kyle

just wondering when to change avon venom, i'm not sure how many miles i have on mine but they are down to the wear bars but still an 1/8" away from being a slick. i hate to change too soon but also don't want go to the edge either.

just wondering when to change avon venom, i'm not sure how many miles i have on mine but they are down to the wear bars but still an 1/8" away from being a slick. i hate to change too soon but also don't want go to the edge either.

Generally when a Venom gets close to the wear bars things wear fairly quickly. I'd change it out. How many miles do you have on the tire??

If it is down to the wear bars, change them.

I am on my 3rd set of Avons and I get 10k + out of the rear.

The front looks like they would last longer but I replace both at the same time.

I am meticulous about ensuring they are inflated correctly.

FYI: I run 41psi in the rear & 38psi in the front.

just purchased my third rear Avon, got 8500 on first (was running too low pressure) got close to 11k on second (adjusted air pressure to 42 frt. & 46 rear, i ride two 95% of time), i currently have 18k on the frt. and it has considerable mileage left. i just purchased two Avon's (front & rear) from SW Moto and they were $269.00 for both shipped (no shpg. charge).

it's time for you to replace your rear if it's to the wear bar. check out this previous thread)......

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48543

I ran an Avon and when it got down to the wear bars it was like a week later it was bald/ I only got about 8000 miles out of the rear so decided to switch to another brand. I went with the Dunlap E3"s and i love the way the bike handles better plus I have 11,000 miles on them and should get another 6000 to 7000 miles more. One bad thing is they are a little noisy

Guest scarylarry
I ran an Avon and when it got down to the wear bars it was like a week later it was bald/ I only got about 8000 miles out of the rear so decided to switch to another brand. I went with the Dunlap E3"s and i love the way the bike handles better plus I have 11,000 miles on them and should get another 6000 to 7000 miles more. One bad thing is they are a little noisy

Your right I got close 15k on my E3's check the air everyother day though, and yes they are noisy but nothing like the brickstones, sounded it a freight train running along the side of me...

Just a tidbit of information in case there's a few 1stGen'rs reading this thread. The Venom tire pressures are greater for their sizes. Take them to the listed cold sidewall pressure. In the fronts case that's 50psi. It will eliminate a big amount of sidewall flex and increase the overall usable milage before wearing out. It will also greatly reduce the possibility of any sidewall checking and tread cupping.

thanks for the replies, however after checking paper work and maint sched. I figured this set has about 15,ooo miles on them.. hard to believe that many miles but its close to that. lets here it for proper air pressure and good maint. anywho orderinf front and rears next week and fursure sticking with the avons. i guess the miles fly by when your having fun....

Guest scarylarry
thanks for the replies, however after checking paper work and maint sched. I figured this set has about 15,ooo miles on them.. hard to believe that many miles but its close to that. lets here it for proper air pressure and good maint. anywho orderinf front and rears next week and fursure sticking with the avons. i guess the miles fly by when your having fun....

Also if you going to order now is the time before the oil prices get much higher, yes that makes tires go higher...

boy i could have swore that i heard people were getting 15000 to 18000 on the venom not 8000,maybe i thought they were talking about the rear when in fact they were talking about the front,my bad i guess. the bike had metzlers when i bought it with 59800 and now has 64200 and still had good tread but i must have ran them low on air and caused cupping so replaced it. dont know how many miles were actuly on tires.

It is very hard to realistically compare tire mileage between different riders - there are just too many variables in riding styles and finesse on the clutch and throttle. What you CAN easily do is compare RELATIVE tire mileage between riders. That means that if rider #1 gets twice the miles on tire A as they do on tire B, then probably rider #2 will get around twice the miles from tire A compared to tire B.

It does NOT mean that if rider #1 gets 10,000 miles on tire A, then anyone else can expect 10,000 miles on tire A.

For the record, I get 14,000 miles from a rear Venom on my RSV (and about 28,000 miles from a front Venom). For comparison, I got 8,000 miles from the HORRIBLE stock Brickstone, around 10,000 miles from Dunlop D404 and Pirelli Route 66, 17,000 miles from the Dunlop E3, and I will NEVER EVER NOT EVER FOR ANY REASON even remotely consider putting a Metzeler POS on my bike.

The Avon Venom is absolutely the best handling tire I have used on this bike. The E3 is not quite as good and more noisy. None of the others are even close in quality of handling.

Goose

Guest scarylarry

I'm making a switch just to venom see what is better, I like the E3s but they are noisy and again people are split on this, just as bad as oil...

Besides Jake Wilson had a deal on them...

I put close to 15k on my venom and most of those miles from hauling a very heavy trailer behind me all summer! When I replaced it with a car tire I found a bald spot as long as my arm which I could have sworn was not there the week before so I agree that the wear bars indicate she is gonna go, and fast. After the ct wears out I plan on going back to the venom, not cause I'm dissatisfied with a ct, just want to really experience the difference first hand after being on a ct for so long! PLEASE, not trying to start any ct debate here, I think we have pretty much beat that subject to death!!! It sort of like what you have to tell someone with two black eyes?! Nothing much, since you have already told him twice!!

If you have to inflate a venom to 50psi cold to keep it from cupping or to improve sidewall performance, than just move up to the ME880's, which for my money are the very best performing tire for the RSV. 40-42psi in the rear, 38-40 in the front. Never a problem, and 14K to 18K tread life in the rear, with even better on the front. And they are as quiet as any tire out there.

The stated problems on this forum about them "delamanating" or "chunking" are totally overblown and were related to a very few cases where this happened. Why the 880 is so continuously demonized is beyond me. My experience can't possibly be the "exception", when my motorcycle tire store in Woodstock GA - which sells and installs literally thousands of them each year for riders that run both the mountains and the interstates - also attests to this performance versus other brands.

I am not bashing the Avon's or the Dunlops (I actually preferred the 404's on my VTX for years, and Dunlops are ALL we ever run on the Softail!), but the bad rap on the 880's for the RSV is just nonsense.

Just my 2 cents......

If you have to inflate a venom to 50psi cold to keep it from cupping or to improve sidewall performance, than just move up to the ME880's, which for my money are the very best performing tire for the RSV. 40-42psi in the rear, 38-40 in the front. Never a problem, and 14K to 18K tread life in the rear, with even better on the front. And they are as quiet as any tire out there.

The stated problems on this forum about them "delamanating" or "chunking" are totally overblown and were related to a very few cases where this happened. Why the 880 is so continuously demonized is beyond me. My experience can't possibly be the "exception", when my motorcycle tire store in Woodstock GA - which sells and installs literally thousands of them each year for riders that run both the mountains and the interstates - also attests to this performance versus other brands.

I am not bashing the Avon's or the Dunlops (I actually preferred the 404's on my VTX for years, and Dunlops are ALL we ever run on the Softail!), but the bad rap on the 880's for the RSV is just nonsense.

Just my 2 cents......

And here's mine.... I have never heard of any other tire brand throwing caps or delaminating like the Metzlers, and it's not an isolated instance, or bike specific. Do a google search and read up on it. However, if that's what you like by all means keep runing them. Tires are not all the same when it comes to tire pressures due to design and performance, but one rule is constant, run any tire underinflated and you will cause cupping. :2cents:

And here's mine.... I have never heard of any other tire brand throwing caps or delaminating like the Metzlers, and it's not an isolated instance, or bike specific. Do a google search and read up on it. However, if that's what you like by all means keep runing them. Tires are not all the same when it comes to tire pressures due to design and performance, but one rule is constant, run any tire underinflated and you will cause cupping. :2cents:

Thanks Condor. I agree - - proper tire inflation is critical to performance and tread wear, and I check mine at least weekly.

On the 880 reviews, most of what comes up on the problems with 880's in the past date back to a bad batch manufactured in a now-closed Brazilian plant in 2007. That plant was not able to conform to the quality management system certification (ISO 9002) bestowed on Metzler in 1995. The 880's are now produced exclusively in Odenwald, Germany, and the plant is actually owned and operated as a joint venture (no pun intended) between Metzler AG and BMW's parent company, Quandt Holdings AG, which owns 54% of BMW. And virtually all of the problems with the 880's from that period can be found on discussion boards on threads that date back to 2008, most notably the H-D forums and the GL1800 forums. And of course, right here in Venture-land.

My point is that since manufacturing and quality control is now centered in Germany at what appears to be a state of the art BMW-run production facility for motorcycle tires only, the quality of 880's produced over last 2 or 3 years should not be lumped in with a limited run of poorly produced tires from over 3 years ago. That's like saying that the Jaguar is a crappy car because they had a two or three year run of clunkers with bad electrical systems back in the late '90's. Things change, even if on-line discussion forums continue to carry the message of problems that existed in the past.

My experience with the Metzler tire on my RSV since I got the bike in March of '09 is outstanding. Both I and the tire professional I entrust my bike to feel that any Metzler production issues that may have existed before are fully resolved and well behind them, and that any company that's been solely focused on producing motorcycle tires since 1978 (the company started in 1863!) for virtually every kind of bike in existence, from touring to racing to off-road, who held the 24 hour world speed record TWICE, who were the first to introduce the 0 degree steel belted radial, and who out-sell Avon, Dunlop, Bridgestone and Parelli combined, must be a pretty damn good motorcycle tire manufacturer with a quality product. But more than that, the ME880's ride nice, they are quiet, perform equally well in the twisties and the interstate, are competitively priced, and are proven to last for at least 15,000 miles - at least on my scoot!

Sorry for the rant. I just thought some perspective needed to be shed on this question.

I hope everyone has a great upcoming Spring and Summer riding season - - on whatever PROPERLY INFLATED tire you trust your life to.

:080402gudl_prv:

Edited by Bobby G

Thanks Condor. I agree - - proper tire inflation is critical to performance and tread wear, and I check mine at least weekly.

On the 880 reviews, most of what comes up on the problems with 880's in the past date back to a bad batch manufactured in a now-closed Brazilian plant in 2007. That plant was not able to conform to the quality management system certification (ISO 9002) bestowed on Metzler in 1995.

Like I said, if they make you happy, by all means keep running them. :thumbsup2: