IGNORED

Poor Mans Dyna Beads??

dmoff1698

OK, just for a minute let's all pretend we are in the camp that thinks Dyna Beads work. Wait for it...are we there yet? Good, Here goes.

Being a cheap bas$#&d, I was just wondering. If Dyna Beads work to ballance your tires, why wouldn't BBs work just as well at 1/10 the cost? Easier to recover and reuse in your next tire change too.:confused24:

Of course they would have to be installed at the time of the change.

Just wondering. Opinions?

I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Centramatic truck wheel balancers use a stainless steel shot in the rings.

Old timey truckers often used golf balls to balance their tires.

I just went to Centramatics website and they now offer automatic balancers for Harleys and Goldwings.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/kangaroo.gif

This is going to be good.

Can I sell tickets?

Dale, I like the 'thinking outside the box' attitude.

Gary

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion:cool10:

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/kangaroo.gif

This is going to be good.

Can I sell tickets?

Dale, I like the 'thinking outside the box' attitude.

Gary

Gary: That was priceless... got a real chuckle from it.. worth the price of admission

:rotf:

Actually BBs are steel balls with a copper plating to help resist rust in the package. It will not take long to wear the copper off and then the BBs will rust till all of the free oxygen in the tire has been converted into rust.

If you know anyone that does shotgun reloading you may be able to score some steel shot in various sizes.

At slow parking lot speeds you will also be bead blasting the inside of your rim and removing its finish to allow for more corrosion.

I did not make a statement one way or the other the use or possibilities of this product.

I find myself agreeing with V7Goose's position, but I have also seen evidence they work.

Wheel balancing isn't that hard, once balanced they are good to go. They don't generally change. Seems like doing the new way offers no significant improvement over the old solution of using lead weights.

But there are always ideas out there that are not accepted by the mainstream group of users, no matter what the field or application. Sometimes these ideas take time to mature to reach there maximum potential.

The thing I don't understand about the dyna bead concept is that every time the wheel stops turning, the beads would fall to the bottom due to gravity. Then each time would seem to have to redistribute themselves when rotation starts again. This just seems like there is going to be a time period where the wheel is unbalanced due to the beads have not yet found the 'Happy Spot' again.

I just thought the idea of finding a low cost alternative to the beads was an interesting approach. I also knew there was significant polarization on views of this product and the ensuing discussion would be spirited.

Gary

:stirthepot:

• 1 year later...

They used to sell a gizmo for cars that would mount between the wheel and the drum that had a 'donut' of sand on it. It was supposed to do the same thing as mentioned here... and it did. My brother had a set. The problem with it (as would be for putting stuff in our tires) is that when you hit a pot hole, it would throw the sand off balance and the rotation wouldn't allow it to re-position itself. Kinda like your washing machine when somehow the clothes bunch up to one side and it goes on the spin cycle. For some reason, my wife always yells 'gettyup' at that point. IDK. :whistling: