Art708

I dunno what I'm going to do about the clutch noise on my RSV. It came with a "G" clutch basket, the dealer installed the "I" basket, I went today and had them remove the "I" and was gonna put my old one back in. I asked if they had any other clutch baskets around and they had an "H" basket that they had replaced. I asked if they could put that in since it couldn't be any worse than the others. They did and it may have helped a tiny bit but it's still too noisy. I think that the next thing to try might be another differential. I'm thinking that some of the howling is coming from there since there's been no joy with the clutch baskets. Another Valkyrie is looking better and better......sigh....or a Victory Cross Country..... or a G'wing.

You RSV guys are so lucky, your bikes talk to you ! !

You all call it whining, but think of it as a lovely wife. It's constructive criticism.

My old decrepit junk heap of a 1st gen, can't hear a friggin thing from it. The wind noise rushing by is so bad I wouldn't know if it was saying anything.

:buttkick: :rotfl:

Gary

I dunno what I'm going to do about the clutch noise on my RSV. It came with a "G" clutch basket, the dealer installed the "I" basket, I went today and had them remove the "I" and was gonna put my old one back in. I asked if they had any other clutch baskets around and they had an "H" basket that they had replaced. I asked if they could put that in since it couldn't be any worse than the others. They did and it may have helped a tiny bit but it's still too noisy. I think that the next thing to try might be another differential. I'm thinking that some of the howling is coming from there since there's been no joy with the clutch baskets. Another Valkyrie is looking better and better......sigh....or a Victory Cross Country..... or a G'wing.

Art, in the quest of reducing the clutch basket whine to an acceptable level, a person may have to try several " I " baskets and even at that, not coming to any satisfactory result. In other words, some are just not curable. A good dealer who is in the know will tell you that.... mine did. I was lucky ... mine is at an acceptable level now with an " I " basket.

Having said that, don't rule out the pumpkin as I've heard that some others who thought it was their clutch basket was really the differential.

How does one know if it's the differential or the clutch basket????

In my case, the whine only appears at a certain RPM range and is most noticeable in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in that specific rpm range. ... that tells me that it's the clutch basket gear.

From my past experience with cages, differentials will generally whine regardless of engine rpm or gear as the whine is based on the rpm of the rear drive, not the engine and the whine will increase proportionally to speed (generally speaking)

• 2 weeks later...

How do you find a dealer to replace the basket.I have been to two dealers was told the same thing,there all that way.I called yamaha they said dealer knows best.I called another dealer they said they would ride the bike if not covered 50.00 to say no.

Silvrt,

Question is if the whine is present when increasing the rpm as bike is not moving, could clutch basket still be the culprit?

Thanks, Ron

Sounds like the basket. My '99, although I didn't buy it new, used dino oil all it's life.. 47,000 mi..... and it doesn't whine. It does have a slight singing sound like my '83 1stGen, but nothing obnoxious. I'm wondering if perhaps using a 20-50 dino like GTX might quite things down. I also found that Valvoline MC wet clutch 20-50 really quited things down when I first bought the '83. MOF I couldn't believe new oil could make that much difference. So if you're using a synthetic you might try going to dino. It can't hurt...

Thanks,i have used dino oil from day one,have not tried anything but lucas and it did nothing for the noise.I have a 97 rstc and there is not a sound,i am sure yamaha could tone them all down but its all about what it would cost.I havent found a dealer that knows what an i basket is.

Hey Art.

Sorry you are having issues with this RSV.

Did your other one whine like this one?

I don't think my Millenium has a whine. At least not anything unbearable.

However, I haven't ridden another RSV to discern any difference.

And I always wear ear plugs, so that may temper any noise a bit.

My 1981 650 Maxim has a shaft and a little kind of whine, but I'm used to it.

Hope you can come to a good solution adn enjoy your RSV.

There is a 1999 Valk Tourer in the Post and Courier for 8 grand today.:confused24:

Sorry ,,did not try to hijack thread i just seem to be in the same boat.[/

The first thing I did was contact yamaha and they referred me to my dealer, which was clueless to the clutch basket whine. I told him bout this forum and he actually sat down and read the post on the I basket. Short story, yamaha will replace it one time under warranty and it made a big difference in my 06 rstd midnite. Yamaha techs know bout and if the dealer want act, contact the service rep at their hq's Mine isn't completely quit, but it's very tolerable. I use rotella 15w40. Thicker oil like 20w50 seems to also make it worse.

It sounds too simple but it has helped me deal with mine,

One thing ive stumbled on to with noise relief is the type of helmet I wear really makes a big difference to how much whine gets filtered out.

My full face HJC filters out a bunch of the whine and its manageable, but i get a fair bit of wind noise. when i wear my open 3/4 helmet the whine is really loud and i find myself looking to travel just above 3000 rpm or below2800 rpm to keep the whine manageable.

Brian

Rusty...my '07 RSTD and my '09 RSV were both very quiet. This one is LOUD...driving me crazy. I've owned 3 Standard Valks and 1 Tourer. If I were to get another it would be an Interstate.

http://www.cycletrader.com/Honda-Touring-Motorcycles/search-results?category=Touring&make=Honda|2316874&vrsn=hybrid&zip=29461&radius=any&keyword=valkyrie