IGNORED

My Trailer project has begun.

Flyinfool

Last night I scored a deal on a car topper from Craigslist.

The guy has an old car topper that had been used once and was asking $25 for it just to get rid of it quick.

After almost a week of us playing phone tag and email tag he finally sent me an email that If I can come tonight, I can have it for $FREE$. He just wants it gone.

Needless to say I beat feet over there, and this thing looks almost like new. I stuffed it into the back of my truck and away I went with the goodies.

Now I just have to decide quickly as to whether I should just get the HF trailer (the HF trailer is on sale for $179.95 till the end of this month) to put under this box, or build one from scratch.

I know that it will cost a LOT more to build it from scratch, and take a lot more work and time, but I will have a much better trailer in the end that is exactly what I want/need.:confused24: :think: :confused24: :think:

Better from scratch!

BUT you don't need better the HF, it will work just fine for as long as you will ever need it. :2cents: There is lots of proof from all the riders on this forum. Me being one of them.

Good luck Flyinfool.

SAVE your money for beer and wild women. :missingtooth:

Well since I am violently allergic to beer I guess I'll have to do more wild women.

I am leaning toward the HF trailer, I think I should be able to get most of my money back out of it if I can not make it suit my needs for the future. But it will work fine while I design and build my 'special' trailer.

According to your other post where you say you're longest ride was 250 miles, I think a HF trailer will be fine. You can assemble this trailer and use it, then later if you decide that motorcycling and trailering are going to become a way of life, you can then build yourself and custom trailer and sell your HF setup.

Well since I am violently allergic to beer I guess I'll have to do more wild women.

I am leaning toward the HF trailer, I think I should be able to get most of my money back out of it if I can not make it suit my needs for the future. But it will work fine while I design and build my 'special' trailer.

will this special trailer be painted yellow like the special bus we see on the roads going to school :stirthepot:

I bought the HF trailer as well but didn't just assemble it. I used it for the parts and material to make my own out of. Welded it together instead of bolts. Way cheaper than buying everything separate. Still wound up with what I wanted. The only thing I had to buy was material for a longer tounge. I also changed all the lights to LED to lower the drain on the bike's system.

• 1 month later...

Well for now I went with the HF trailer.

Got the frame all bolted together and squared up in the basement.

Hauled it up the steps and outside.

Now I just need to attach the running gear and the base trailer will be done.

I am still debating if I should weld all of the joints in the frame. After it was all bolted up it was just a tad out of square and I was able to knock it back square with a 2lb dead blow hammer. Or once I bolt down the plywood floor that will also hold it square.

I have removed the extra leaf from both springs and changed the alignment pin to be able to flip the axle. it takes 2 minutes to change the pins back for a bottom axle if I decide that there is not enough tire clearance in the fenders.

I also started to give my car topper that is going onto this trailer a good looking over.

This is the one that I got free for the hauling and the PO had it in a dark yard buried under 3 feet of snow, so I did not bother to look it over very well when I got it.

Now that I have looked it over there is a heavy abrasion on the top rear corner that has worn through in one spot. I am planning to scuff up the inside real good and lay up some fiberglass cloth over the area. that should bring it back to being water tight and a sound structure.

There are 2 lock assemblies but no keys, so I pulled one out to take to a locksmith to get some keys made. There is a number on the lock so he should be able to make keys from that. If not it might be cheaper to just get new locks.

The bottom of this topper appears to be in good shape with a little bit of Swiss cheesing around the mounting areas. I will use the existing holes some how for mounting it. the bottom is also quite flimsy so I will have to use a thicker ply base on the trailer than I had originally planned for. I will be using a 1/2 or 5/8 thick pressure treated plywood for the base.

I will be adding an extended rear bumper so that I can stand it up on end against a wall for storage.

I'm still debating what lighting I want to put on it. I want to change over to all LED but have not yet decided which ones, or if I should just put LED bulbs into the existing fixtures. I have time to work on this part.

Welded up my HF, cut 7 in. out of center to fit carrier, had it 3 seasons now but wife needs a bigger box when we do a 2 week trip. Weld it, then its done with, it'll never lossen up then. I'll take offers on mine, till then the wife will need to do with it.

Edited by jonesy

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have the deck made and all of the mounting holes drilled, primed and ready for a light sanding to remove the fuzz that raised up from the primer then the final color coat and install.

Took one of the locks out of the topper and took it to a locksmith to get some keys made.

Still have to figure out how to fix the hole in the top. I have gotten some good ideas from some of you.

I will be doing the lighting differently that what HF designed, but I am not sure what exactly it will be. It will be a lot more lights than stock.

Still need to buy a new cooler and build a cooler rack to fit it.

All of the coolers that I own are either huge to support 4 people for a week of camping or tiny about the size of a 6 pack. I think i want something in-between.

• 2 weeks later...

OK

All of the mechanical assembly is done and the floor bolted down.

I just have to do the electrical, and add the topper.

I don't think I am even going to bother installing the incandescent lighting.

HF has the LED kit on sale right now for $30.

Now the issues.

I did remove one leaf from each side of the springs and I flipped the axle to the top of the springs. There is only about a half inch clearance from the top of the tire to the inside of the fender. I did not take much weight to make the tire touch the fender.

Did those that have flipped their axle have to modify the fenders?

What did you change on the fenders?

Or should I just put the axle back under the springs?

In reading past posts on the HF trailer it appears that they have made some changes.

There are many posts about needing spacers or washers between the tongue and coupler, mine fit perfect with no spacers or washers added.

There are many posts about the poor job of greasing the bearings from the factory, the manual now says to grease the bearings as one of the assy steps.

My axle was bad out of the box. The 2 holes that fit over the alignment pins on the springs were not drilled correctly. One was drilled at the very forward edge of the axle and the other was at the very rear of the axle. The mismath would have had the axle skewed about 5/8 inch. The store pulled another axle out of a box for me. the new one was good.

Finally, the trailer itself is done.

I ended up putting the axle back in the stock location.

Picked up a LED lighting kit on sale from HF.

I still need to acquire a cooler for the tongue and then make a frame to hold it.

Now I just have to get some casters to add to the back bumper and make some kind of bracket to stand it up against the wall and secure it there.

Thanks for the offer Mike.

I already picked up a pair at the hardware store, $2 ea, that is cheaper than you could ship them.

I already made a set of temporary bumpers that mount with wing nuts, I will weld the casters to that.

Guest tx2sturgis

I did remove one leaf from each side of the springs and I flipped the axle to the top of the springs. There is only about a half inch clearance from the top of the tire to the inside of the fender. I did not take much weight to make the tire touch the fender.

Did those that have flipped their axle have to modify the fenders?

What did you change on the fenders?

Or should I just put the axle back under the springs?

Does that HF trailer have the 8 inch wheels or the 12 inch wheels?

I put a small carpet on the garage floor and just stand the trailer up on the back bumper , the box just sits on the carpet. Hasn't hurt it yet. When you weld on the bumper, weld it in a position that would allow the trailer to stand on it's own. I'll try to get a pic of it, it's kinda buried in the garage right now. Pretty stable this way. I have no fear of it falling over.