IGNORED

On a "lighter" note ...

SilvrT

I know there are no "dumb questions", only "dumb answers" so I figgure I'll get a few with this "non-dumb" question....

We have 2 ways of expressing time....

AM/PM or "Military" aka 24-hour clock.

So my non-dumb question is .... why, when using the 24-hour clock, we say, for example, 13 hundred hours ... or .... 21 hundred hours ... or ... 05 hundred hours ????

If it's 5AM in the morning, I certainly haven't been sleeping for 5 hundred hours...!!!

Oh geeeezzzzzzzzz.... I have cabin fever and PMS sooooooooooo BAD!!!!

I know there are no "dumb questions", only "dumb answers" so I figgure I'll get a few with this "non-dumb" question....

So my non-dumb question is .... why, when using the 24-hour clock, we say, for example, 13 hundred hours ... or .... 21 hundred hours ... or ... 05 hundred hours ????

If it's 5AM in the morning, I certainly haven't been sleeping for 5 hundred hours...!!!

Yes 5 am is 5:00, it's actually called oh five hundred thus 21:00 is in fact twenty one hundred.

Winter is getting long here also,

BOO

Guest tx2sturgis

Man I havent seen PMS that bad in years....you best get yer butt on a plane and fly to Sydney. Rent a bike. Ride for 2 weeks. Fly home. Instant cure, although a bit pricey. But whats yer sanity worth?

You have to realize that the military functions 24/7/365 and to them there are 24 hours in a day, not 12 and 12. Using that system takes away any possibility for confusion on a scheduled event. What we used to refer to some of the scheduled events was 0-dark-30 as usually these things were sometime in the middle of the night.

Believe or not, the military system worked pretty good.

RandyA

You have to realize that the military functions 24/7/365 and to them there are 24 hours in a day, not 12 and 12. Using that system takes away any possibility for confusion on a scheduled event. What we used to refer to some of the scheduled events was 0-dark-30 as usually these things were sometime in the middle of the night.

Believe or not, the military system worked pretty good.

RandyA

I understand the reason for using 24 hour .... my non-dumb question was why refer to it as "hundred" ... why not just single digits... like 17 or 21?

You would say 1730, not 17 hundred 30... right??

I know...I know... it really is a "dumb" question but if there is no logical answer, then it must fall into one of those ... unexplained "I Wonder WHY" groups LOL!

I understand the reason for using 24 hour .... my non-dumb question was why refer to it as "hundred" ... why not just single digits... like 17 or 21?

I know...I know... it really is a "dumb" question but if there is no logical answer, then it must fall into one of those ... unexplained "I Wonder WHY" groups LOL!

1730 would be correct.

I want to flip this a little more. I spent my time in the Navy in Communications. We used Greenwich Mean Time so that every one in Navy Communications would be on the same time, no trying to figure out what time zone each ship was in.

Still Military time but everyone was in the same time zone.

BOO

PS: Do we want to get into the "Bell" system for telling time used on US Navy ships?

I'm going to assume there was a real question in there and accept the challenge.

Using 1700 works to clearly identify the hour with no minutes and also, 17:00 looks like seventeen hundred even though there are only 60 of those hundred being used as minutes. Using 17 could mean either 1700 or 0017.

That explanation works for me, does it work for you?

What I have never been able to figure out is why "they" say niner instead of nine. Nine is as unique sounding as any of the other numbers.

On another note. No PMS across the ditch from you. I ride to work every day on my bike and then ride a scooter all day at work. Missed riding 2 days so far this winter due to snow or ice.

What I have never been able to figure out is why "they" say niner instead of nine. Nine is as unique sounding as any of the other numbers.

I am thinking it has something to do with the NATO phonetic alphabet, also called the ICAO phonetic alphabet or the international radiotelephony spelling alphabet were words are used to represent letters. Niner represents 9 if you used nine which could sound like mine for example the other person would not know if you meant 9 or M.

Yep, left the military back in 07, but I work in aviation, and military time is the standard for the industry. I have a difficult time thinking in terms of a twelve hour clock and having to specify a.m. or p.m. --ick. Well its 0030 and I need to get to bed. (That's GMT + 5)...

:draming:

the "hundred" is there so when it's like quarter after they can make it 1715 or 1730 at half past...no confusion.