IGNORED

Vietnam Commemoration

Black Owl

Although, technically I am a veteran of the "Vietnam Era" (I served on active duty with the First Infantry Division, USArmy from 1972-1975), I am reluctant to join the various Vietnam associations. I don't want to be perceived as a wannabe. I did not go to Vietnam. How can I, in good faith, claim membership in ANY of those associations? I support them and of course ALL veterans, but cannot claim to be a Vietnam Vet.

I am certainly proud to commemorate the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Vietnam War and honor those who actually were there in that hell hole.

Bloody Red One

Keven

I served in Vietnam but we cannot forget the service personnel like yourself who were not 'in country'. Every bomb dropped and every bullet fired came from somewhere. People like yourself inspected loaded and shipped these things. Food, fuel and clothing were all used in the war effort. Bases had to be maintained at home and around the world. This all took personnel. Lets not forget that during this time we were also fighting a very hot cold war. So don't sell your service short. Being in uniform made you a very important part of the war effort and a brother in arms where ever you happened to be posted. And I thank you for doing your part.

Mike

Although, technically I am a veteran of the "Vietnam Era" (I served on active duty with the First Infantry Division, USArmy from 1972-1975), I am reluctant to join the various Vietnam associations. I don't want to be perceived as a wannabe. I did not go to Vietnam. How can I, in good faith, claim membership in ANY of those associations? I support them and of course ALL veterans, but cannot claim to be a Vietnam Vet.

I am certainly proud to commemorate the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Vietnam War and honor those who actually were there in that hell hole.

Bloody Red One

Where one served is not of importance. The fact that you served says it all.

I was in country when Nixon announced that he was drawing down the war and the Big Red was coming home. Yah right. They reassigned the troops to other units and returned the colors. So, I guess technically, he had reduced the number of Divisions in 'nam.

Thank you Mike and Kevin for your posts and your service. I also am one of those that never set foot in Vietnam, but I am what I call a Vietnam area veteran. I say that because in 72 I served at Ubon in Thailand, which was about 30 miles from Laos and 45 miles from Cambodia. So, without a doubt, I was in the area and my work directly supported the F-4 Phantoms that flew into Vietnam everyday. But, even though I was really close, I have been told more than once, even from some on here, that they do not consider me a Vietnam vet because I was never in country. But, I bet they did appreciate those F-4's showing up when they needed them.

The thing I want to also say is if you were in the military during that time, you were always just a set of orders away from going to Vietnam.

RandyA

Thanks for the link! A large part of me wants to forget, and I didn't get involved with veteran's organization as I felt no pride in serving there. It's like a dark chapter I would rather not be reminded of, especially in light of how we were receifved when we came home...

To you guys that are "era" veterans, as far as I am concerned you are brothers as you served your country and helped support what we were doing over there. Just because you weren't directly in harms way is no reason to feel any less significant than any of us!!

I think the term "Vietnam" refers to the WAR and not the exact location. Now, if there were a group called the "Mekong Delta" Vets...that would be a different story!

I am a "Vietnam War Era Veteran" (serving before 1975. I joined the US Navy in 1973 and never made it outside the states (don't ask me how that happened, being a corpsman I guess). But I have never led anyone to believe I was involved with the Vietnam War in any way...I don't even mention it.

Unfortunately, there will always be levels of commitment in the service. During war, you'll have those that never get close to the war, yet they did serve. Then you'll have those that did not participate in the combat itself, yet they did serve. You have those that saw close combat and they too served. And finally, you have those that gave the ultimate sacrifice, those that both fought and died for our Country, and they served and died. All of us are members of an elite club, we served.

I make no excuses for those of us that did not participate in combat, but I a certainly have a humble respect for those that did.

Even though Vietnam was the main attraction there was a lot of other things going on in the world besides Vietnam. I'm not trying to belittle the Vietnam guys or down play any thing they done over there but we been policing or whatever you want to call it all over the world forever.

I actually joined the Navy to avoid the draft so I wouldn't have to go over there only to find out there was a lot of Navy guys serving on the ground there. Nobody ever said I was real smart. I avoided the 2 year draft only to spend 5 years in the Navy.... That ought to teach em.

Good site Rus.

BOO

Bloody Red One

What difference does it make? I was told as soon as I arrived in Vietnam that every MOS the army has is to support the infantry. And there are no exceptions. I still remember those words more than 40 years later.

I was in the infantry (11B). Army, B-3-8, 4TH Div. September 1969-1970. I was mainly in the Central Highland jungles of Vietnam between An Khe and Pleiku from September 1969 to 1970, but I was also in the 1970 Cambodia incursion.

Thanks for your support!

-Don-

Edited by DonTom

randya

Here is an article on the largest air battle since WWII. It starts with a list of the aircraft involved. If you look at that list you will see there were over 100 f4s from Thiland in the battle. Since I was with the B52s it is more about their part but read it and then tell me again you are not a Vietnam vet. Your service in Thiland earned you a Vietnam service ribbon. Wear it with pride.

Mike

What difference does it make? I was told as soon as I arrived in Vietnam that every MOS the army has is to support the infantry. And there are no exceptions. I still remember those words more than 40 years later.

I was in the infantry (11B). Army, B-3-8, 4TH Div. September 1969-1970. I was mainly in the Central Highland jungles of Vietnam between An Khe and Pleiku from September 1969 to 1970, but I was also in the 1970 Cambodia incursion.

Thanks for your support!

-Don-

Was in Kon Tum (and other choice garden spots) with the CCC during the same period. Did a lot of work with the Montangard.

Thanks for the link! A large part of me wants to forget, and I didn't get involved with veteran's organization as I felt no pride in serving there. It's like a dark chapter I would rather not be reminded of, especially in light of how we were receifved when we came home...

To you guys that are "era" veterans, as far as I am concerned you are brothers as you served your country and helped support what we were doing over there. Just because you weren't directly in harms way is no reason to feel any less significant than any of us!!

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Couldn't say it much better.

Did a lot of work with the Montangard.
There were a lot of Montagnards in the Central Highlands. What type of work did you do with them?

The troops on the basecamp in An Khe hired a lot of Montagnards. I've always wondered if it had anything to do with why the helipads in An Khe got blown up (from the inside!) every so often!

-Don-

Bloody Red One

I can relate to everything you say, I was a medic (91B) with 4th Infantry Division '72-'75, but spent my entire tour in the emergency room at Fort Carson Colorado

I can relate to everything you say, I was a medic (91B) with 4th Infantry Division '72-'75, but spent my entire tour in the emergency room at Fort Carson Colorado
I left FT. Carson in March of 1971 when I ETSed.

BTW, were you a CO? All the medics we had all year in Vietnam were CO's. That meant they did not carry a weapon, but the pick or shovel.

I wonder if it was mainly only the CO medics that they sent to Vietnam.

BTW, the second person I saw KIA was our unarmed platoon medic. He was KIA when trying to get to my squad leader who was shot during during a firefight. Neither made it. Most medics in the 4TH Infantry Div. in Vietnam had a tough time. Was one of the most dangerous jobs.

-Don- Reno, NV

I left FT. Carson in March of 1971 when I ETSed.

BTW, were you a CO? All the medics we had all year in Vietnam were CO's. That meant they did not carry a weapon, but the pick or shovel.

I wonder if it was mainly only the CO medics that they sent to Vietnam.

BTW, the second person I saw KIA was our unarmed platoon medic. He was KIA when trying to get to my squad leader who was shot during during a firefight. Neither made it. Most medics in the 4TH Infantry Div. in Vietnam had a tough time. Was one of the most dangerous jobs.

-Don- Reno, NV

I was not a CO. I do remember I was the first Medic assigned to our battalion when they returned from Nam, so I guess you're right the medics had a tough time of it.

Bloody Red One

I also served during those same years. I was a volenteer and I would have gone to VN if I was asked. I am a support member of the Combat Vets Motorcycle Association and I do my part to help vets. I also ride with the PGR on as many missions as possible. Just because you wern't in combat doesn't meen you didn't do your part.

I also was in the 1st at Fort Riley for the last 3 months of my service. I was in an armour unit.

Bloody Red One

I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat. I served from 68 to 76 and served in Germany and Korea. I volunteered for Nam but never was chosen. My younger brother did, but not me. Not much of a need for M-60 driver and gunner in a jungle. I will, like you support them and all other vets anyway way I can. That's what we do in the Fort Sam Houston Regimental Riders Motorcycle Riding Club http://www.fsrrrc.com

Rick A.

Anyone here a Marine that served one of those 13 month tours "in-country" and during the years 1967 through 1973? Or during the Tet offensive of 1968? And was assigned to 2/3 or 3/3 during January through April 1968? Just curious.

Masterguns

Thank you for your service at Khe Sanh. A little history for those who don't know about the Khe Sanh or the Tet offensive.

On January 23 1968 the USS Pueblo was attacked and captured by North Korea. http://www.usspueblo.org/ At the time I was with the 91st Bomb Wing headquartered at Glasgow Montana. In response to the Pueblo we along with the 306th Bomb Wing mobilized heavily armed B52Ds to Kadina AB on Okinawa . Operation Port Bow. It looked like we were on the brink of another major war. Possibly with the direct involvement of China who was saber rattling over Formosa. Then on January 30th the Tet Offensive began in Vietnam with major attacks on many of our bases and outposts. We re-armed our aircraft to conventional bombs and began flying round the clock missions in support of our ground troops including those at Khe Sanh, Dong Ha and others.Operation Niagara and Operation Arc Light. At one point we launched over 27,000 B52 sorties in one 30 day period. When you consider each B52 carried the payload of ten B29s that is a lot of response. Not counting all of the other forces involved. In the end Khe Sanh became the focal point in a hard fought battle between the Marines (special forces) and Viet Cong that lasted 77 days. At one point the US forces were completely surrounded by over 30,000 enemy troops. The Marines prevailed. Contrary to the news media back in the states the Tet Offensive was the end of the Viet Cong as a major fighting force in southeast Asia and a huge victory for the US. From then on the war was waged by North Vietnamese troops. Whom we defeated at the end of 1972. Then bowing to media, political, pressure we just up and left. Leaving the country in turmoil and setting the stage for what eventually became the Killing Fields.

Mike

Sorry guys.

I can't help it. I get a little wound up on this.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I ended up in Ubon, Thailand as part of the Easter offensive of 72. It absolutely amazed me how many sorties of F-4 Phantoms and AC 130 gunships went out of Ubon everyday. Ubon was located about 30 miles from Laos and 45 miles from Cambodia.

RandyA

Bob:

I feel the same way you do, I have never talked to anyone about my service over there in 1967 and 1968. And I probably never will. It's better to keep that buried in the back of your mind. Most people cannot even begin to understand the horrors of war. It's one of those "you have to have been there to understand" things.

Jim