IGNORED

I think she threw a rod; what do you think?

Dave77459

Good luck with this Dave.

My 06 TD warranty also expires this year. Keep us posted how they take care of you.

Looks to me like whatever route the dealer takes, the warranty should get Roxie repaired and back on the road.

You will definitely hear how this goes!

I think the real question here is "where did all those lawn chairs come from??" You were all on bikes.

What can I say? I was a boy scout! In truth, I was towing a trailer, filled mostly with chairs for people to sit in during maintenance days. I wish I had been carrying my micro stove: coulda made coffee!

Who threw a rod on a second gen engine.

June 2004, I remember it well!

Riding a 1999 RSV with 40K miles, at around 60 MPH, 5th gear, 2 up, pulling trailer, downhill etc. Without warning the rear wheel locked up. Man what a ride!!!

End result...rod had broken just below the piston, rod fell forward and pushed the ballance shaft out the front and through the case. Yammy never gave me a hard time about it, but I don't know what the dealer said to them. Momma gave me new cases, rods pistons, cylinder, balance shaft, etc, Basically everything forward of the crank except new heads. Those checked out good.

I was concerned about not getting a complete new engine due to the shock placed on the entire drive line, but 100K mile later and still going strong, I'm getting over it.

Yammaha didn't ask for maintenance records or any other documantation from me.

Be patient though, it took them almost 8 weeks to gather all the parts and get it back to me in one piece.:fingers-crossed-emo

Someone said that I made some radical manoeuvres right after the "bang". I thought I was pretty smooth, having no power and needing to cut through a line of cars in the right lane to reach the shoulder. But afterward, we saw the rear wheel was coated in oil. Coulda been scary!

I think the trailer acted as a drogue chute to keep me pointing straight. See? A trailer is safety equipment!

Just a thought on the cause... :innocent:

The sever magnetic field caused by all that electric clothing!!! :doh:

:stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:

:hurts:

Jealousy, I say!

I'm glad you didn't have any trouble getting them to fix it for ya, and this is usually the case, but it is all dependent on a good dealer.

There are many great dealers out that that take care of us and deserve our business, but we all know that there are also some really bad ones - both ignorant and dishonest. Many owners have been told that lots of things, from radios, plastic parts, even wheel bearings, are not covered by the warranty. We all hope that those blatantly wrong statements are simply the ignorant dealers. But there are some who are so dishonest that they actively look for reasons to deny warranty in hopes of forcing the screwed owner to pay huge bucks at retail rates for the repairs.

Our main point in some of the advice to Dave was simply to be prepared in advance so he could protect his rights just in case his dealer wasn't one of the best ones.

Goose

Squidley came over to look at Roxie and see if he could find the hole (see below). We discussed possible options. I am inclined to call the regional office, explain what happened, and ask for their recommendation of what dealership to take her to. I have places to go! I also want a good outfit, and there are some pretty bad ones in our area. Does this sound like a plan?

Oh, and here is the hole plus cracks, as seen in a mirror. The hole is in the lower engine case, and the cracks extend up and in to the upper case.

Dave

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5211/5385439969_6a7394eb53.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5385439881_5fda849bf6.jpg

Dave,

i'm currious to hear what you found out after our conversation this morning?

call me back if i can help.

mike

Hi Mike, I got a lift home from Squidley and we pulled her out of the rain to see the hole. I haven't drained oil out... not sure that I should. I've had several suggestions to not appear to do any tampering. What do you think? BTW, the oil is right at the bottom of the sight glass when sitting up.

I have worked at our local Yamaha shop here in Columbia, handling issues just like what you have here. I don't see any reason why Yamaha would deny coverage. Get your maintenance records together (just in case), talk to the service manager and explain what happened, and be patient. The service manager will have to call Yamaha for authorization, that may take several days. Then the mechanic will have to do a tear down to inspect the innards, this may take a few days. After Yamaha has the final repair cost, they will issue an approval, the mechanic will order the parts, and then put your bike back together. My guess would 1 to 2 months and you should be riding again.

Stay in touch with the service manager to see how things are progressing, if you are dissatified with how things are being handled, call Yamaha customer service, they can and will look into things.

Good luck, and if I can help in any way, send me a PM

Dave

Thanks Dave. I appreciate hearing your opinion and description of the process. I am sort disheartened to hear the 2 month estimate, but stuff takes time.

Dave

If there was a carb problem or something else that caused fuel to flood one of the cylinders,

Don't think that's a possibility since each carb has an overflow vent. Turn on the key and see if the fuel pump comes on and keeps coming on to keep pressure up. Should start dumping fuel onto the floor thru the overflow if its a stuck float .

I really dubt that would have anything to do with it 90+ miles into a ride, I could see there being to much presure to start it though, but not an issue in this case.

Don't think that's a possibility since each carb has an overflow vent. Turn on the key and see if the fuel pump comes on and keeps coming on to keep pressure up. Should start dumping fuel onto the floor thru the overflow if its a stuck float .

It's a tough call as to what actually let go in the case. Where it's located at it could be the transmission gears. I looked it over as best I could with the inspection mirror, but that is the only tell tale sign I saw. I was the one to mention to him not to touch it, let the dealer take it apart and come up with a diagnosis. We definitely dont want him having any hard time by them saying you screwed around with it.

I'll be interested to find out what happened and mentioned to Dave to ask to see the engine once it's apart if they tear it down there at the dealership.

Guest PlaneCrazy
Who threw a rod on a second gen engine.

June 2004, I remember it well!

Riding a 1999 RSV with 40K miles, at around 60 MPH, 5th gear, 2 up, pulling trailer, downhill etc. Without warning the rear wheel locked up. Man what a ride!!!

End result...rod had broken just below the piston, rod fell forward and pushed the ballance shaft out the front and through the case. Yammy never gave me a hard time about it, but I don't know what the dealer said to them. Momma gave me new cases, rods pistons, cylinder, balance shaft, etc, Basically everything forward of the crank except new heads. Those checked out good.

I was concerned about not getting a complete new engine due to the shock placed on the entire drive line, but 100K mile later and still going strong, I'm getting over it.

Yammaha didn't ask for maintenance records or any other documantation from me.

Be patient though, it took them almost 8 weeks to gather all the parts and get it back to me in one piece.:fingers-crossed-emo

You were lucky to have a good dealer I think. I asked my dealer specifically if Yamaha would honor my warranty if I was hauling a trailer and they said if they thought the failure was in any way related to a trailer (such as stressing the drive train or engine) then they would usually deny the claim.