IGNORED

Gotta Vent

BG Hawks

Was going to jump in the shower this morning to get ready for church. Long story short noticed that I had a leak. Determined that it was coming from the roof which means I had another ice jam to take care of. Still makes me mad that the company I hired and paid good money to install my gutters did not do anything but hang them where the old ones were. If I wanted a crummy job I would have done it my self!:soapbox:

Boy do I feel better now...

Why were you taking a leak on the roof???

Seriously, what you need to install is a heat tale in the gutter to keep the water flowing. Your contractor probably just replaced your damaged gutters without fixing the source of the previous damage. It's not the fault of the gutter installation of where they are, it's ice buildup! Sooo, why is the snow melting in the first place? Heat loss from the attic due to poor insulation!

Sorry to hear about your leak Big Tom. I feel your pain. I have plenty of insulation in the attic. When I put a new roof on I replaced the gutters. I told them not to use location of existing gutters because they do not drain properly. What happens is that it ice builds up. If snow covers the ice it will melt under the snow. I clean off the snow and take my heat gun up and melt and carefully chip ice out of the gutters.

After a rain you can go up on my roof and see water sitting in the gutters. This was several years ago when all this has taken place. I'm going to fix it this spring once and for all.

Ice dams aren't caused by the gutters. What happens is warm air in the attic melts the show and when the water runs down over the cooler eave or gutter it freezes.

Snow is an excellent insulator, when it's deep it'll trap enough heat to melt the layer against the roof. That's why ice is more of a problem when there's a lot of snow on the roof and not so much with only an inch or two.

The correct way to deal with the problem is to improve the insulation and/or attic ventilation. Unfortunately those can get expensive.

You can put a band-aid on the problem by raking deep snow off the lower portions of the roof (you can make a roof rake or buy them at Home Depot etc.) or by using heat tape.

I've got a room that was formerly a back porch. The roof has a very low pitch and the rafters end right at the outside wall. So there are no eave vents, only room for minimal insulation where the roof meets the wall and it's flat enough any water that backs up comes right in. Because of the configuration and how it meets the rest of the house changing it would be a major expense so I use heat tape on it. I had poor luck with heat tape in the gutter so I reconfigured it so the tap hangs over the gutter. The gutter still fills with ice, but after that the water runs over and falls to the ground. Makes great icicles!

They make heat tape kit especially for Ice Dams. It is installed in a zigzag pattern parallel to the outer edge on the roof with aluminum clips

If you can vent your attic more (beside area that is damming) the problem will go away.

But to fix it now:

get a heavy pair of gloves

long water hose

connect it to bottom of hot water heater

get a ladder unless your lucky enough to have a low sitting rancher

every 15 feet or so melt the ice down to the shingles about 3 -4 " wide and about 4' long perpendicular to the outer lower edge of house.

Alternate fix: take a hatchet and very carefully chop a channel.

Regardless how you do it you have to provide a path for the water so it cannot back up.

An ice dam traps water starting at the gutter and extends quite a few feet back towards the peak of the roof. As the snow/ice melts it gets trapped between the outer ice and the gutters, when it hits the top edge of the 3" wide roof felt.....It leaks!

I use to cut channels on my rancher with the hot water method a couple times a year.

Oh, on more thing I almost forgot. Last time I was at Lowes to buy shingles the manager looked at me kind of funny when I ask for the roof felt. He said it was uNnecessary... Well in my humble it is very necessary as these ice dams will testify. I'd never shingle a roof without felting it first.

Edited by CaptainJoe

They make heat tape kit especially for Ice Dams. It is installed in a zigzag pattern parallel to the outer edge on the roof with aluminum clips

If you can vent your attic more (beside area that is damming) the problem will go away.

But to fix it now:

get a heavy pair of gloves

long water hose

connect it to bottom of hot water heater

get a ladder unless your lucky enough to have a low sitting rancher

every 15 feet or so melt the ice down to the shingles about 3 -4 " wide and about 4' long perpendicular to the outer lower edge of house.

Alternate fix: take a hatchet and very carefully chop a channel.

Regardless how you do it you have to provide a path for the water so it cannot back up.

An ice dam traps water starting at the gutter and extends quite a few feet back towards the peak of the roof. As the snow/ice melts it gets trapped between the outer ice and the gutters, when it hits the top edge of the 3" wide roof felt.....It leaks!

I use to cut channels on my rancher with the hot water method a couple times a year.

Oh, on more thing I almost forgot. Last time I was at Lowes to buy shingles the manager looked at me kind of funny when I ask for the roof felt. He said it was uNnecessary... Well in my humble it is very necessary as these ice dams will testify. I'd never shingle a roof without felting it first.

I had a problem pulling water from the bottom of the heater. Because cooler water settles to the bottom and hot rises I was pulling cooler water out. Meantime the burner kept running so the top kept getting hotter until the relief valve blew. That can create a problem if your water heater is in a finished area (like mine).

Disconnect your washing machines Hot water hose from the faucett and connect the garden hose to it...

I didn't have had a problem getting it out of my gas hot water tank.

You could however end up getting calcium in the hose if you have hard water...

Edited by CaptainJoe

"

Oh Oh!! This is turning into a "How many Ventureriders does it take to screw in a lightbulb" thread...:stirthepot: "

Couple of questions first:

While sitting On my bike?

Where's the bulb?

How many rooms do you have to go thru to get to the bulb?

Are your doors at least 36" wide??? My bikes pretty big...

Too many questions.........:rotfl::hihi::banana:

I already have to repair the ceiling in the family room.....think I wait till the spring and remove the gutters completely on that area....I have a pond beneath it ....the rain coming off the roof will at least keep the pond full:rotf::rotf:...who needs gutters anyway ?:confused24: ACTUALLY, You are correct about the insulation...the area in question is adjacent to my garage . I drywalled the ceiling in the garage and never insulated it...My garage is heated.....Hence the heat loss..........:shock3:

You needed to put down "Ice and Water shield" before you put on the new roof..

A rubber membrane that sticks to the roof deck..

Any ice dams that occur will stay on top of the rubber and not get in the house...

You can look at any house a couple of days after a snow and see which ones have heat loss...

No heat loss=no ice dams