IGNORED

Any Old Time Trumpet Players?

GolfVenture

I've been playing Trumped (among other instuments) for over 15 years now. While the sound quality is terrific, if that is really her in all of the clips she does have a great tone and obviously she is quite talented to have made it as far as she has and have that kind of publicity.

Not to be the rain on the parade here, but I'm guessing, based on the couple of videos that I watched - the music was studio recorded and she was filmed on different occasions. The one that made me laugh the most was where she was shown playing a pocket cornet and the resulting sound was clearly that from a standard Trumpet. **Note I am simply sharing my observation here**

Irrefutably the sound quality of the horn being played was terrific and she is OBVIOUSLY quite talented to get as far as she has. My hat is off to her as I, for one, know it takes years of practice to develop and perfect a tone like she produces!

Thanks a lot for sharing this though, I have a thing for this kind of music!! :thumbsup2: Glad there is another fan out there too.

My son has played for about 6 years, through Junior High and High School. He never really got too excited about it though and since graduating from High School, the horn has never left it's case. Too bad. I've tried to tell him that someday he might really enjoy making music and should practice it from time to time. He really has no interest.

I to play, and yes, thats not a standard trumpet.

I play the Cornet, the regular trumpet, the French horn, The Bugles in the Key of G, and Mellophones also In the Key of G

I didn't learn by going to school, or having my picture plastered all over you tube.

visit some of these web site and Drum corps names, and lesson to how we played

http://www.bluecoats.com

www.Youtube (Blue coats) (Madison Scouts) (Sana Clara Vanguard) (Hawthorne)

Edited by Brake Pad

Sounded great to me.... I dabbled in Trumpet before I entered High School. Even played in the orchestra my freshman year. Then I discovered sports and never picked the horn up again until recently when I bought a Cornet in a garage sale. Found I could still play 'When the Saints'. My oldest girl played it for a while in middle school but I'm afraid she takes after me... hasn't touched the Cornet since turning a sophisticated 15.... :sign20:

My son has played for about 6 years, through Junior High and High School. He never really got too excited about it though and since graduating from High School, the horn has never left it's case. Too bad. I've tried to tell him that someday he might really enjoy making music and should practice it from time to time. He really has no interest.

Same story here Don. My oldest son was very good and even considered taking music at the university level. Four months into his first year of engineering he quit playing and hasn't played since. Same thing with number two son. Very disappointing for me. Especially after paying for the instruments and all those lessons. And driving them to practise in all kinds of weather.

I love the horn but after six lessons when I was about twelve my parents decided it cost too much.

Spirit of Atlanta here ...

Drum Line (notice drum comes before bugle!):225:

I to play, and yes, thats not a standard trumpet.

I play the Cornet, the regular trumpet, the French horn, The Bugles in the Key of G, and Mellophones also In the Key of G

I didn't learn by going to school, or having my picture plastered all over you tube.

visit some of these web site and Drum corps names, and lesson to how we played

www.bluecoats.com

www.Youtube (Blue coats) (Madison Scouts) (Sana Clara Vanguard) (Hawthorne)

Played first chair Jr and Sr years in High School (Arthur, IL) where we had a state champion band every year for many many years. I have to admit, while I could play good, I never learned the scales well, could not triple tongue well, and could not improvise. Although I never did work very hard on those skills.

Play in SIU Marching Saluki's in college and played in several of the bands there, including one year in the 2nd stage band. Played Mellophone in marching band (Stan Kenton invented it, basically a straightened out french horn that plays like a trumpet in Eflat.).

Since college other than the occasional homecoming with the marching Saluki's I haven't played. Sold my good Holton trumpet but bought a student model trumpet a few years ago, it plays horrible...or maybe that is me?

As for this gal, she has a great tone, and control, but seems like she is on downers all the time, no emotion. A disconnect kind of between her playing and her outer emotions.

I appreciate the posting of the Libertango, at least I got to hear her bust loose a little.

my favorite trumpet players are in order: Doc Severenson, Al Hirt, Wynton Marsallis, and anyone that played for Stan Kenton!

I played from 5th grade thru high school. Looking back I wished I would have continued thru college. I upgraded to new Olds Recording the summer 69 my sophmore year. I earned it the hard way in the berry fields all summer long. I almost sold it while in college but was encouraged not to sell. I still have it and play it several times a year, just some old favorites. My tone is still good but the high notes just aren't there any more. I played it in my wedding back in 1980. Occasionally played in my local church. Played taps for my brothers funeral for he was a Vietnam Veteran (US Marines). The trumpet is in beautiful condition and is now a collectors item. I used a shamie skin cloth on my left hand to keep the oils from tarnishing the lacquor. I also toot on a bugle, trombone, and a shofar.

Spirit of Atlanta here ...

Drum Line (notice drum comes before bugle!):225:

Polish Falcon Patriots, Elizabeth NJ 1973-1978 Mellophone

Cranford Patriots, Cranford NJ 1978- 1980 Aged out

My Favorite Corps: Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Blue Coats,

If any of my brothers or sister out there, would like to get some music, My collections starts, from the 1961 "Evening with the Corps" at Carnegie Hall

side one: St. Catherine of Sienna Queensmen & Reading Buccaneers

Side two: Garfield Cadets & Archer-Epler Musketeers

In its original sleeve

Edited by Brake Pad

my favorite trumpet players are in order: Doc Severenson, Al Hirt, Wynton Marsallis, and anyone that played for Stan Kenton!

Don,

You left out Bill Chase, Maynard Ferguson, Louis Armstrong and Prez Prado.

Yep, I played a long time too. Elkhart, IN, where I live now is/was home to Conn, Selmer, Bach, Gemeinhardt and Blessing, just to name a few horn manufacturer's. I had a couple Bach Stradivarius models, a Getzen Doc Severinsen model, and a Conn Constellation. Played in a dance band for 20 years after high school. After that dried up I ended up selling them one by one. Amazing what the old horns are worth today. The Conn was the last one, it paid for my half of my son's wedding 2 years ago.

Sounds like high school marching band got him. My 3 girls played flute, french horn, and trumpet for the local high school marching band, once they graduated they never played again. We did pay for private lessons, instruments, band camps, etc.

I still have my french horn and trombone, they haven't seen the light of day in many a year. Played in Junior High and High School, jazz band, stage band and our own little group (ala Ohio Players). Had a boat load of fun.