IGNORED

Engine Temp Guage Question

Some of you have installed a water temp guage, and the question is where did you install the sensor?? Are there two sensors.?? One to power the warning light and another to kick in the fan like on the 1stGen?? And if so, can the warning light sensor be swapped out for a guage sensor??

Guest scarylarry

Straight from the gauge to the left rear hex head next to the rear spark plug I did not touch the light or the fan switch sensor..

Only one sensor and that came with the gauge

Remove tank and seat and ran the probe right under them..

Some of you have installed a water temp guage, and the question is where did you install the sensor?? Are there two sensors.?? One to power the warning light and another to kick in the fan like on the 1stGen?? And if so, can the warning light sensor be swapped out for a guage sensor??

There's some good writeups about this installation somewhere here on the site. The "adapter" required comes with a crush washer... most seem to have luck using the crush washer but I, for one, didn't and continued to have a coolant leak so I had to use a rubber O-ring. Hasn't leaked since and that's 2 summers ago.

If you use an electronic gauge there is a way to mate it with the heat sensor on a Venture. I don't know the procedure.

The manual gauge hooks up like "Scarylarry" said. I was one of the early people to hook up the gauge and I had trouble with the crush washer. Ponch told me to try the O ring and it works great. Not a problem!

:farmer:

If you use an electronic gauge there is a way to mate it with the heat sensor on a Venture. I don't know the procedure.

The manual gauge hooks up like "Scarylarry" said. I was one of the early people to hook up the gauge and I had trouble with the crush washer. Ponch told me to try the O ring and it works great. Not a problem!

I'm thinking electronic. There are quite a few listed on Ebay. The only thing you have to be carefull about is to make sure it's Fahrenheit. Unless you're in Canada... then I guess C is OK. Do Canadian bikes even come in Celsius?? Tying into the sensor for the warning light would be great. Need to know more....???

Wouldn't a gauge with a probe be more accurate, if you could mount it.

I'll be mounting it in a pod on the tank. Electrical/analog seems like the way to go??? I'd still like to learn more about how to tie into that warning light sensor?? In my thinking the sensor in there now would only close when a certain temp was reached rather than one that is more of a varible resister thru a swing of temps. The only way I can think that the OEM sensor would work is if the warning light controller is in dash, and is actually getting varible temp readings??? :confused07:

Guest scarylarry

I don't like the idea of tapping into anything on these bikes, if I could use a gauge and with a probe I think it would be more accurate..IMHO

Then again what do I know... I just hate idiot lights or depending the on the sensor from it

Edited by scarylarry

Condor,

I am assuming you are going to use the tank pod from the 1990's that was popular until the inventor died. If that is it, my buddy has this on his 06 RSV. I know it is hooked up to his OEM sensor. I could look to see how it is attached for you. The warning light is on the dash gauge cluster for his.

Let me know.

I don't like the idea of tapping into anything on these bikes, if I could use a gauge and with a probe I think it would be more accurate..IMHO

Then again what do I know... I just hate idiot lights or depending the on the sensor from it

The problem is that anywhere else other than where the OEM guage pick up is mounted, and you won't get an accurate reading. The best place is just before the coolant enters the radiator, and where the temp housing is on the RSV. That's why I'm so interested in using the existing sensor. I'm with ya on the warning light, but if I can keep the warning light operational it'll be the best of both worlds.

Condor,

I am assuming you are going to use the tank pod from the 1990's that was popular until the inventor died. If that is it, my buddy has this on his 06 RSV. I know it is hooked up to his OEM sensor. I could look to see how it is attached for you. The warning light is on the dash gauge cluster for his.

Let me know.

It would be a big help. :thumbsup2: And yep it's going in 'that' pod. :) It'd be the same set up for my '99RSV. Thanks.

Guest scarylarry
The problem is that anywhere else other than where the OEM guage pick up is mounted, and you won't get an accurate reading. The best place is just before the coolant enters the radiator, and where the temp housing is on the RSV. That's why I'm so interested in using the existing sensor. .

Seems to me that a water jacket in the engine would be close enough, mine runs around 230 in the heat of the summer..

Now you got me to thinking maybe should check the water temp in the radiator and compare the 2...

Seems to me that a water jacket in the engine would be close enough, mine runs around 230 in the heat of the summer..

Now you got me to thinking maybe should check the water temp in the radiator and compare the 2...

Good idea. I'd be interested in any difference....

Guest scarylarry

I will post the readings, I don't guess it matters what time of year it is aslong as the readings are taking the same and hopefully close...

Give me 2 days I will post sometime Sunday afternoon

• 2 months later...
Guest scarylarry

After a ride today, I came back with engine idling I shot with a infra red, temp probe and all the allen heads on top of the engine and the casting on the radiator which the that was way off.

The motor on top read 197 and the gauge read 195..

Close enough for me

Guest scarylarry

I know this has been asked before and I have search for a answer to no aval.

What does the temp have to be before the light goes off?

Maybe a engine meltdown...:confused24:

That is a great question. If the temp doesn't reduce when the fan comes on, and continues to rise...I think you are close to melt-down. I have never heard of a Venture over heating to that extreme. I start mine up in the shop every 2-3 months and let it run until the fan comes on. Therefore I am assured that it is working. The light is a different animal in that I have never seen it on.

Guest scarylarry

Mine lights up to so I'm sure it works, like many wonder what temp sets it off..

I never heard of one overheating...

I bet when the head is a glowing red, like a radar detector I had went off when I was getting a ticket...

Toss it at the next rest area

We changed a fan on a 2000 MM Venture with a mechanical temp gauge. When fired up, it never got over 210º and the fan didn't come on, but it puked antifreeze all over the floor.

It turns out the cooling system had air trapped in the top end. Both the thermo sensor for the fan and the gauge (2 separate locations) were fooled.