IGNORED

GL 1800 Fork Rebuild.

Just fishing for tips and tricks from any one who who Has done this. Mine is an Air Bag. I am hoping that disconecting the battery is sufficient to prevent mis hap in that area. Plan is to drop the forks tear them down install Progresive springs and reseal and re bush. In my head it is a pretty straight forward operation. I should have gotten "All Balls" for the steering head as well but it is an afterthought and with the holiday and availible time off now I will go ahead with the forks and do the steering head later.

:7_6_3[1]:

Just got off the phone with Jim Cambora @ Raceworx in Alvarado. He's got one set in stock. Heading that way in a few.

Cool! Glad I could help before you got it all tore down...Be sure and remember how to do it all as I want to put the springs seals and All Balls in mine! 4 Is nice Sis lives close by so Ill get up there soon.

I know it is too late, but you should have gotten the Traxxon springs. I put them in my 1800, and there is a world of difference, there will be also with the Progressive too. Not that bad of a job. I hope that you have long hex sockets, and at least a butterfly to get the bolts out of the bottom of the tubes.

I ride 4 a lot, and go through there going to Grandburry

I know it is too late, but you should have gotten the Traxxon springs. I put them in my 1800, and there is a world of difference, there will be also with the Progressive too. Not that bad of a job. I hope that you have long hex sockets, and at least a butterfly to get the bolts out of the bottom of the tubes.

I ride 4 a lot, and go through there going to Grandburry

Just got back. I heard the same from the man where I got the bearings. His advice was to get traxxion too. he even called traxxion to see what size springs I bought. Theirs (traxxion) were 1.2s and I have 1.1s. traxion are a one rate spring and these are Progresive not only in name but in how they react. The heavier the load or the harder thebump the rebound rate is proportional. My thinking is that will give me a more forgiving and favorable ride. Who knows in six months I may get the traxxions. It's only time and money. Had a nice ride though. Ate supper @ Willie and Dicks just off the square. next time your in Gbury give them a try. Good meal decent price. No cheese cake though. As far as tools I should have that covered. Got impact tools up through 3/4 drive. The long hex your talking about If I don't have one to reach up through the axle yoke I will just cut off an Allen wrench and then put a standard socket on the cutoff.

Herb,

If Progressive springs are all you can get, they are better than the wimpy .70kg/mm "progressive wound" springs that came with the bike. But like you have seen, the fork experts like Traxxion will always reccomend constant rate spring like the 1.2kg/mm spring rate. Progressive springs sound great in theory but with a fork travel of 5.5" and a progressive spring 36" long, you never get to use all of that progressive wound spring and are always on the softer end of the spring and will never get to the stiffer part.

The best thing you can do for your GL1800 front end is to:

1. install heavier 1.2kg/mm constant rate springs

2. install the All Balls tapered bearings

3. install a Kuryakin fork brace

Then if money is not an object, go for the complete Traxxion Dynamics fork rebuild. But once you cure the issues with the front suspension, then you really need to do something about getting a heavier rear spring (where a progressive wound spring really works). And you can get good fork springs from Traxxion, Racetech, Sonic Springs and several others. And Progressive makes a replacement for your rear shock and I think Racetech and Traxxion have other solutions that include a rear shock rebuild.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Just got back. I heard the same from the man where I got the bearings. His advice was to get traxxion too. he even called traxxion to see what size springs I bought. Theirs (traxxion) were 1.2s and I have 1.1s. traxion are a one rate spring and these are Progresive not only in name but in how they react. The heavier the load or the harder thebump the rebound rate is proportional. My thinking is that will give me a more forgiving and favorable ride. Who knows in six months I may get the traxxions. It's only time and money. Had a nice ride though. Ate supper @ Willie and Dicks just off the square. next time your in Gbury give them a try. Good meal decent price. No cheese cake though. As far as tools I should have that covered. Got impact tools up through 3/4 drive. The long hex your talking about If I don't have one to reach up through the axle yoke I will just cut off an Allen wrench and then put a standard socket on the cutoff.

That is what I did,,:happy34: Then the next time I was at Harbor Freight I got a set of long sockets,,,,,:) In the process of making a set of hex sockets for my 1/4 torque wrench this week end. Those little jewels are out of sight in cost, one: 5mm x 1.5 inch X1/4 drive is $17.00 Thats Each not a set :yikes: Thats out rageious so I bought a cheap $5 buck set of 21 piece mixed sae/mm and going to make the hex's that are most used, and needed.

We have eaten at Willies before, when we are there camping we eat breakfast at Pam's early in the morning. Good eatin all over town..:happy34:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest my14car

Happy new year Herb Just wondering if you did the upgrade to your forks yet. I want to do the same thing to mine. Will be watching for your report.

Thanks

Pete

Sadly not done yet. Other "stuff" has priority now. I have a small window of opertunity on Saturday and Sunday this week due to weather. I had to set aside the Wing project and get back on building the " Equine Facility" for the horses. Yes I know, I started that project last year. But you know there are a lot of roads in Texas! I gooffed off to much this summer, and winter is almost here. It is 55 right now, damn the cold. Prediction is for highs next week in the 30's and some wet weather. So if I don't get some progress on the barn Dawn will be shall I say less than pleased. I will post when I start though and take a few pics. BTW I got a wood stove in the shop so cold and wet won't hold me back on that!:7_6_3[1]:

I missed something that may well affect me somewhere along the way as I, too, have an '07 Wing (blue, too). What occurred that is causing you to replace the springs? I know about the bearings (thanks to Tom)...but what's happening that is causing all the maintenance?